2012 ram 1500 5.7 hemi mysterious misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin gonzalez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so my 2012 1500 has been having quite the amount of issues in the last id say 2 months. first the truck caught the hemi tick and I continued to drive it being that it is my only vehicle to move in so i of course babied it as much as I could. then after about 3 weeks of driving the tick gradually went away to the point that you literally can no longer hear the tick. im assuming that maybe the lifter got itself unstuck who knows. now that the motor no longer ticks it has developed a misfire. Code: p0305 and b3997. at first the misfire was about after 3k rpm but it has gradually taken over to where the truck is misfiring at all rpm. I have changed the spark plugs and have moved the coil pack from cylinder 3 to 5 where the misfire is being detected. truck continues to misfire and I have not been able to find a solution. anyone have any suggestions please let me know !

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
It does not tick any longer because the seized lifter roller and cam are scuffed up so much there is minimal valve movement.

You need a new camshaft and lifters immediately to prevent contamination of soft bearings that would require a complete rebuild or new engine. Plan on 4 or $5000 down there in FLA.

Last edited:

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pull the valve cover and turn the engine over, you will see if one of the valves is not moving like the others. Cam will be wiped.

OP
OP
J

justin gonzalez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
alright ill be back with an update as soon as I can thank you guys for the help

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep time for a cam and lifters not a bad job if you can do it your self.