2013 1500 5.7 - Shutters at 5mph coming to Stop and when letting go from a stop. Occasional Clunk...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4G907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I have a 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Laramie and I am having a weird braking issue. A year ago when I got the truck, I noticed a few months after, when I came to a stop there is a *clunk* noise coming from the rear. Thought it was my 3 ton jack in the back hitting the front of the bed, but it continued upon pulling it out. It feels like a love tap, as if the transmission doesn't shift into 1st until it absolutely needs to. About a month ago when coming to a stop and am down to 5mph the truck begins to stutter as if there is a warped rotor. Got busy and couldn't address it immediately but now the truck has a slight stutter/wavy feeling when letting off the brake to roll forward without the accelerator. When I press the accelerator the truck goes back to driving like usual. I have noticed that there is a slight steering issue and the truck has a small shimmy on the highway but am pretty certain that is an alignment and balance.

Brought it into the garage and pulled rear brakes to find them pretty much useless. The pads on the inside are almost metal to metal whilst the exterior where at about 25%. Checked slide pins, all look and feel good. Looks like the inside pads were digging into the rotors pretty good and started make a solid lip on the back of 'em. Going to test drive within 24 hours to see if this helped. Would be nice if anyone had ideas or the same problem with either the clunk and/or braking issue. (Front brakes look good, will probably replace next year)

When I bought the truck the dealer said they did new brakes all the way around with rotors. The dealer was not a Lithia or Dodge so I'm suspecting they used cheaper parts on it, making it so the rears went out pretty quick. Saw in a forum for 5th gens that a guy having a similar issues swapped out his drive shaft and it fixed the slight clunk. The shake on the highway does not feel like a failed or going out driveshaft, but I guess anything can happen. Will update with any news!

Thank you

OP
OP

4G907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear Brakes did help with the slowing down and take off. Still feel a slight wave coming to a stop but no longer major.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably someone (usually the wife or kid are good for this!) pushed on the emergency brake and it stuck 'on'. The parking brake cables can easily become rusty/seized, or the mechanism inside the rotor can rust and seize. They'll usually 'apply' under foot-force but not release on their own. Anyone from the rusty north knows this issue...ha ha. So you (or someone) could have driven around in happy bliss unknowingly wearing the emergency brakes out. Don't worry, I've done it too! LOL. It's easy to do. Real common scenario around here. Probably 3/4 of the emergency brakes don't work properly after 10 yrs of salty winters. You almost have to use them frequently to keep them loose and 'good'. Or use Stainless Steel hardware.

Fortunately they're easy to re-do. Double-check the rear parking brake cables and the rest of the mechanism moves freely while all the brake parts are out. If it was my truck, I would honestly pull the rear diff cover (change the rear diff fluid anyway), AND pop out the axles and replace the rear wheel bearing seals. This is one area you want to use Mopar seals, not xyz auto parts cheapest product.

There's a good chance the heat from driving with the parking brakes applied may have 'cooked' the axle seals. And since it's a 2013, being over 10yrs old ...and since the mechanic is right there only a couple minutes from getting out the axles, and since the seals are probably 2/3 worn anyway ....NOW would be the cheapest and easiest time to get the axles out & replace the seals. Obviously, lift up/down on the axles before removing, to evaluate the bearings too (they ride on the axle shafts like GM trucks do ...1500's that is). And if it's a new mechanic, you almost have to instruct them not to F-up the new seals by sliding the axle back in on "top" the new seals (which can tear it up). An experience guy ought to know to be very GINGERLY with new seals, but don't take anything for granted. It's an easy job, but it's also super-easy for a bad mechanic to screw up. And shops generally don't put their 'best' and 'clearest-thinking' mechanic doing brake work. And make sure they put lube back in there!!! It wouldn't hurt to inspect for discoloration (overheating) of the axle too. If you see that, probably ought to put in new axles. But I doubt they are.

Don't worry, similar thing happened about a year ago to me. Wife let a co-worker from CA drive the vehicle...who wasn't aware of these rust-belt issues. Anyway, that's my guess what happened to your emergency brakes. Try to use them regularly to keep the emergency brake mechanism loose.

Best of luck.

Last edited: