2013 Quad Cab Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
My 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab goes thru brakes like a kid eating caramel corn. Getting expensive. Any ideas out there?

I only use O'reilly's top of the line ceramic pads and replace (not resurface) the rotors every time.

I am a little rough on the brakes, but they should last more than a few thousand miles.

Also, I am a flatlander down here in Louisiana so not much of a hill problem.

Thanks

OP
OP
Jim S

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Can you explain how bleeding the system would prevent excessive wear on the brake pads?

I guess I could change pads company? These lifetime pads are free, so I just kept getting them. Don't know why I didn't think if that!!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If the pistons are sticking in the calipers sometimes a thorough bleeding will free them up.
Also check the pressure relief valve, something isn't working right if you're burning through pads/rotors in just a couple of thousand miles.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, sticking calipers were my first thought too.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have not heard of this pressure relief valve.please inform me. Thanks

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
is it just one wheel or all 4? try driving a few miles without braking much then check the rotors to see if they are excessively hot, that could tell you if the calipers are sticking. one thing more have you seen a drop in gas mileage since this started?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am thinking you got sticking calipers as well. Also I dont know much about those specific pads but typically the store name brands are not the greatest.

We offer a proven setup consisting of R1 Concepts Geomet rotors and posi-quiet pads. This setup is on many RAMs here and we use them on many other types of vehicles like SUV's, performance cars, etc... and they hold up really well while being low dust and long lasting. Stopping power is also increased! I would take the brakes apart, clean and lube them thoroughly then install a quality pad and rotor combo. Then bleed the system. Bleed it until you have fresh brake fluid coming out at each caliper. Then monitor your brakes, check them for ecessive heat at one wheel in comparison to the others, or more brake dust build up on one in comparison to the others. If problem is still there then just replace the calipers that are faulty or even just all of them.

Our brake package is listed here
https://gotexhaust.com/i-23698983-2009-2018-ram-1500-got-exhaust-performance-brake-package.html

Then use promo code GOTBRAKES15 for 15% off and free shipping!

OP
OP
Jim S

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
How do I send photos to website. Keeps asking for a URL

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
How do I send photos to website. Keeps asking for a URL
What I do is right click on photo go to Save As and make a folder to put it in ! Then go to upload file on site and look for your folder then picture ! I have a folder just for that reason Hope it helps, I am bad at explaining things lol

OP
OP
Jim S

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Thanks, Rado!

BTW, I am a retired Submarine Sailor. Did 22 yrs.

Is that "Upload" box the orange box under the comment box? I tried that and got nowhere. I'll try again.

Thanks again.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks, Rado!

BTW, I am a retired Submarine Sailor. Did 22 yrs.

Is that "Upload" box the orange box under the comment box? I tried that and got nowhere. I'll try again.

Thanks again.
My last year active I was on AS 31 USS Hunley a tender in Charleston. Work on the boats but never went under :O So if you got repairs 74/75 in Charleston I worked on your boat :)
After you save a Picture and put it in your file go to upload a file box, look for your folder then your picture. if you have a picture on your PC already you can try and upload that. Then delete it ! Sorry I am bad at explaining things ! I think there may be a how to upload picture instruction on sight. I'll see if i can find it or hopefully a techie chimes in

Found the post by Maddog
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ram-forum-tutorial-posting-pictures.162504/

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab goes thru brakes like a kid eating caramel corn. Getting expensive. Any ideas out there?

I only use O'reilly's top of the line ceramic pads and replace (not resurface) the rotors every time.

I am a little rough on the brakes, but they should last more than a few thousand miles.

Also, I am a flatlander down here in Louisiana so not much of a hill problem.

Thanks

Are you doing brakes all the way around or is this just the front?
When you change them is one side more worn than the other?
Brake fluid should be flushed every 30k miles due to it being hygroscopic (meaning it retains water) and also gets contaminated
When we have weird issues at my shop we do calipers, rotors, pads, and flex hoses with a full system flush. The reason is the caliper could be bad or the flex hose could be internally collapsed. Also our trucks like sil-glyde for caliper grease
This method takes all of the diagnostics and troubleshooting out of the equation