2015 1500 Hemi AC issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PopPopsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
Hello All. I am new here. I recently got my Father in Laws 2015 Ram1500 5.7 liter I believe (It’s a Hemi) when he passed last month.
The AC blows hot air so I put in 1234YF coolant and it was still hot. I pulled the 10amp fuse for the clutch fan and it was still good. When I put the fuse back in I heard clicking of the clutch working again. Cold air was blowing. I turned the temp to hot and back to cold again. The AC stayed hot. I took out the fuse again and reinserted it and it got cold.
My other issue is when I changed the vents from face to feet it started blowing from the top defroster. The same happened for face and feet.
Any help would be much appreciated.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
First thing you need to do is put a set of gauges on the system, ( both low and high side )to see what is going on. When you added refrigerant you may have overcharged the system or possibly introduced air into the system. If the compressor is engaging the first thing I would do is to remove the refrigerant, pull a good vacuum and weigh in the correct amount of refrigerant.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First thing you need to do is put a set of gauges on the system, ( both low and high side )to see what is going on. When you added refrigerant you may have overcharged the system or possibly introduced air into the system. If the compressor is engaging the first thing I would do is to remove the refrigerant, pull a good vacuum and weigh in the correct amount of refrigerant.
I completely agree here. They sell kits that are super easy to use. I did my ram last year as it was low.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, my sincerest condolances on your father-in-law. My wife's parent passed last month, so ..kind of know where you're at.

2nd. Is that the right refrigerant for your truck or is it 134a? Just making sure.

Mr Freeze (above post) is right about putting gauges on it. Watch some AC videos and bone up on AC issues first and basic troubleshooting. It's hard to rapid-fire off problems & possibilities at this point. You need to investigate the basics, which it sounds like you are doing. Let us know what you're seeing as you go. It could be a faulty pressure switch/s too. Maybe it lost vacuum and has moisture inside and it's freezing at the valve/orifice: works till it ices up.