2015 5.7 Hemi oil pan removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unkpwn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all! New member here but I have lurked for a while. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 with the electronic rack & pinion.

So I got the dreaded hemi-tick and I am in the process of taking everything apart. Long story short I am at the point where I am pulling the oil pump off and I decided to drop the pan (lol) I have the pan dropped but I cannot get the clearance to remove it. After several hours of research I have found that the engine apparently needs to be hoisted up. I do not have an engine hoist.

I have found some information and videos on some of the older gen 4's (2011-2012) that apparently you can drop the front differential and just the passenger side motor mount, jack it up fron the transmission just a little bit and the pan should come out.

In the video of the older trucks the front differential appears to be different than the 2015 models. There is a electronic rack & pinion right in front of the diff.

My question is, is this still a viable option? Do I have to do anything with the rack & pinion? This is the video I have found that shows the front diff down and bolt locations - but he removed the entire unit - I just want to drop it to get to the front motor mount: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1t8wcbTmnM

Any advice from the pro's would be most helpful! Thank you so much!

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm interested in seeing responses to your question. This is on my long range To-Do list come next Spring or Summer (when I will have an extra set of wheels to drive while my truck is on jack stands).

Until I read your post I had just assumed that the electric PS rack wasn't that different from the hydraulic PS rack for this procedure. I was hoping to imitate most of what Ned's YouTube on oil pan removal showed, with the exception of using my engine support bar to slightly raise the engine - not jacking the engine by the crank pulley (harmonic balancer). Next oil change I will inspect the area to see how badly bolts are blocked . . .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello all! New member here but I have lurked for a while. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 with the electronic rack & pinion.

So I got the dreaded hemi-tick and I am in the process of taking everything apart. Long story short I am at the point where I am pulling the oil pump off and I decided to drop the pan (lol) I have the pan dropped but I cannot get the clearance to remove it. After several hours of research I have found that the engine apparently needs to be hoisted up. I do not have an engine hoist.

I have found some information and videos on some of the older gen 4's (2011-2012) that apparently you can drop the front differential and just the passenger side motor mount, jack it up fron the transmission just a little bit and the pan should come out.

In the video of the older trucks the front differential appears to be different than the 2015 models. There is a electronic rack & pinion right in front of the diff.

My question is, is this still a viable option? Do I have to do anything with the rack & pinion? This is the video I have found that shows the front diff down and bolt locations - but he removed the entire unit - I just want to drop it to get to the front motor mount: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1t8wcbTmnM

You shouldn't have to totally remove the pan to get at the pick-up tube bolt. Unbolt the 7 bolts from the diff,let it drop as far down as it'll go,and that should give you another inch of pan clearance to get at the pick-up tube.If you're dropping the pan completely,you'll have to remove the front diff,but usually that's not nessesary. Get yourself a wash gun that hooks to an air compressor and you can wash the pan out while it's still in the truck using diesal or gas if your careful.
Even a cheap wash gun like this will work for hosing the pan out,also works good for washing the engine internals while you have it apart

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I just did my 2016, I dropped the oil pan to put on new pump and pick up tube and a little curiosity. I undid cross member, removed the 7 bolts holding the diff and a bit of wiggling it'll fall down enough to pull the pan out. If your having a bad day I wouldn't suggest starting to put the front diff back on.

Might be easier on a lift but I did mine on stands, full of regret. Stripped 3 bolts trying to bolt it back on from being a C-hair out of line. on a plus side I found 1/2 a foil oil bottle cap seal, and other grime in my pan. would I do it again to take the oil pump off, nope!! just unbolt the pan and let er fall where she falls and you can undo pick up tube bolt.

the 3 under the steering post and the two on passenger side aren't bad to get to but the ones beside the left side of the oil pan, might make get the best of ya lol.
I'm going another route to bolt it back on. removing front drive shaft and PS rack and pinion for get more room but she's tight in there.

I'm very open to tricks also if someone wants to chime in.

tbowers391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did mine, fought like hell trying to get the oil pan loose to drop down and get the pickup tube off. Eventually dropped tool into oil pan while working so had to pull it completely. SUPER easy to pull the 5 or so bolts to the differential and just let it drop down and can get pan off. If I had to do it again, I would just drop diff to begin with instead of fighting like hell to reach oil pan bolts.

BUT after the fact, I did see you should be able to get pickup tube bolt loose without even loosening the oil pan! Search on here I saw the thread somewhere. But I’m pretty sure you just use a 13mm wrench and can get it in there enough to pull it. Maybe have to loosen the pump first and can lift the pump up while loosening the bolt. Have a magnet handy I’m guessing.

Good luck!

Gregket1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealing with the bolt without dropping the pan:

Be sure to have a strong, small pickup magnet. On the first day of trying I dropped that stupid bolt into the pan 5 or 6 times. With my wife’s help the second day, we got it in on the first attempt.

If I were to do it again, I’d drop the pan. Although that gasket is spendy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357