2015 Ram 1500 5.7L Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7L with 139,000. Recently, I have been experiencing issues with shifting between 36-40mph. As I slowly gain speed to 36mph, my truck doesn't know what gear to be in and will SLAM back into 2nd? gear, sends the RPMS redlining. I can power through 40mph and it wont do it, but if I slowly gain speed from 30-40pmh, it will do it. I replaced the harness, because it was throwing an output sensor code and apparently you need to replace the whole harness and not just the sensor. I went to pick up my truck after the harness was replaced, I start it at the shop, foot on the brake, switch the dial from P to Reverse, and my R indicator on my dash and the R indicator on the know start blinking. Tells me to put the truck in park and select the desired gear (truck wont move). It is throwing a code and they are currently trying to figure it out. Just wondering if anyone has experienced any of these issues. Thanks in advance!

Wyattsgigi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check and make sure you have transmission fluid. I recently ran over something that caused a hole in my transmission fluid pan. When all of the fluid had drained out my Ram told me the same thing about returning to drive and selecting another gear. I bought and replaced the fluid pan and added all new fluid and was good to go again. I would check that 1st since it is an easy and fast thing to check.

Joeblo2024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Raam,

I have been having some clunking when downshifting to 4th gear and below in my 2015 that has gotten considerably worse in the last few weeks, took it in to transmission shop and the oil was burnt, changed oil and went on my way, parked at work and when i came out and tried to reverse i got that same code, r was flashing and i couldnt reverse and it keept telling me to put in park and select desired gear, till i erased the code. Transmission shop told to get rid of the truck or replace the transmission at this point...i have way to much money in this truck to let it go so.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Raam,

I have been having some clunking when downshifting to 4th gear and below in my 2015 that has gotten considerably worse in the last few weeks, took it in to transmission shop and the oil was burnt, changed oil and went on my way, parked at work and when i came out and tried to reverse i got that same code, r was flashing and i couldnt reverse and it keept telling me to put in park and select desired gear, till i erased the code. Transmission shop told to get rid of the truck or replace the transmission at this point...i have way to much money in this truck to let it go so.
How many miles on your truck ?

Joeblo2024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
156,000 which i consider young....lol..i do tow a holiday trailer that weighs 5000lbs fully loaded and the truck has 3.92 gears, maybe i drove it wrong while pulling but i always used t/h and tried to keep the rpms up on hills.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
156,000 which i consider young

That's like 137 in Ram tranny years :)

Don't get me wrong - I love my truck but the trannys in these things aren't exactly bullet proof. Mine failed twice before reaching 100K and there are lots of problems popping up on the 4th generation HDs as these trucks age. I'm not too familiar with the 1500s but I know on the HDs a lot of guys are upgrading to better parts when rebuilding/replacing. I still have a Lifetime Maxcare warranty so it's the same stock stuff Ram wants to keep throwing at it.

Joeblo2024

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
mtofell,

Can you tell me if I'm doing a transmissions swap do I need to get a transmission from a 2015 to swap to a 2015 and do I need to have one for 3.92 rear-end as that's what rear-end I have or can I use a transmission from 15/16/17 and 3.21 rear end gearing? Just reprogram the TCM for 3.92? Sorry I'm a noob to this and trying to save alittle money rather then going new as they want insane amounts of money for new and labor. Thanks