2015 Ram remote start not working, everything else works. stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the keyless entry and remote start. never had issues until about a week ago. I have tried my daily fob and my spare (like new) fob. initially, thought it was the battery getting weak. changed batteries in primary fob to energizer lithium. no change.

tried spare fob (with new battery) still won't start. occasionally the lights flash like it's going to start but doesn't. tried taking both apart to see if gunk was built up inside or any unusual wear on the button from inside. everything is fine. everything is tight, no corrosion on the circuit board. tried pressing the button on the board outside of the enclosure and same result.

all other functions are fine. don't get any messages on the dash about fob not detected. still locks and unlocks on the first press without any problems (from a distance as well).

ideas? suggestions? it's almost like it's be turned off in the truck but I can't find it anywhere in the settings.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you confirm that the Check Engine Light is not on? If it is, the Remote Start is disabled. Also, the hood must be closed. There is a switch to verify that it is closed, could possibly be bad.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's probably sensing some sort of fault and aborting? Even though the dash is not showing the check engine light I would connect a code reader to it and see if there are any stored faults you can clear. If the remote is unlocking the doors then it should be fine (batteries good etc)

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no check engine light. I did swap my hood for a sport hood mid summer and it closes a little tighter at the latch than the stock hood. if that wasn't making a proper contact I'd think that would appear on the dash that something was ajar?

I'll try scanning code history when home after work tonight

thanks guys

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Every once in a while mine requires that I manually start it with the button in the cab. It doesn't throw a code either. It just gives me the EVIC message "Remote Start Disabled".

I manually start it and the next time I try Remote Start it works.

I'm assuming you have started it manually?

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every once in a while mine requires that I manually start it with the button in the cab. It doesn't throw a code either. It just gives me the EVIC message "Remote Start Disabled".

I manually start it and the next time I try Remote Start it works.

I'm assuming you have started it manually?
yes Sir. I can only start it manually. I also just ran out and tried opening and re-closing the hood, tailgate and all 4 doors. As well, someone on youtube had stated: starting the vehicle, pressing the brake pedal and holding the remote start button for 3 - 5 seconds resolved their issue. didn't do anything for me.

this time, I did get a message on the dash saying remote start disabled, start manually to reset. which I did, still wouldn't start. couldn't get this message to re-appear again in my following attempts to remote start.

my battery in the truck is good and I have plenty of fuel as well.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well that sucks.

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that it does. I'm still under factory warranty. I'll have to schedule it in before it gets too cold. :)

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after work yesterday I hit the start (ignition) button twice in the truck, without pressing on the brake pedal, to essentially 'turn the key to the on position' (similar to how we reset the oil life). then depressed and held the brake pedal. held the remote start button on the fob for about 5 seconds. released brake. pressed the ignition button to start the truck. shut off the truck. got out. locked the doors. hit the remote start on the fob twice and it started right up.

this morning, hit the remote start on the fob and it worked.

tried it again after I arrived at work. started.

previously when I tried this little tapdance I'd started the truck instead of only putting the ignition to the 'on' position, before holding the remote start button on the fob

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another item to look at, is the sensor in the hood latch. It can go bad, it happened to me. If you pop the wire off and then measure the resistance between the two prongs in the sensor. You should get 500ohms with the hood open (latch open). If you don't then the sensor is bad, and the truck cannot be remotely started.

Chevelle66ca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue as discussed in thread. I reset the fob with above instructions. When I try the remote start it worked. Then when I would try again after shuting engine down, fob won't work. So works once after reset, that's it. Is it the fob then?

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really don't know if it's the fob. I think it might be. I have my secondary fob that is basically new. bet I've only used it 20 times in the 3+ years I've had my truck. I was getting the same result with that one. just tried it at work this morning and it remote started fine on the first try. I'll continue to use it over the next few days and see. how it goes.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

crash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
9 days later. this other fob has been working 100% from virtually any distance. inside my workplace, anywhere inside my house.

I tried taking the original fob out of the casing again and used it from inside work with only using the circuit board. it worked. tried this 3 more times from distances yesterday and worked fine.

this doesn't make much sense to me because they are actual buttons on the board that physically depress. the old old fobs used to have a magnet in the rubber that would make contact with the circuit board to activate. these newer ones don't. it seems to be just rubber. I can't wrap my head around why it would work circuit board only outside the fob rubber/plastic case, but not inside.

I'm going to swap boards between the two housings and see what happens. if that original board works in the other housing, I'll just order a new empty housing.