2016 1500 8 speed 5.7 Hemi Overheating Transmission Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjmaak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 1500 w/ 5.7 and 8 speed transmission. Starts to overheat driving down the interstate around 75-80 mph or hauling a camper (6500lbs) but it doesn't seem to happen untill Im about 45 minutes into the drive. I let it get to 240 degrees before I pull over and let it cool. I recently had a local transmission guy look at it and he couldn't get the truck to replicate the overheating issue. He checked the cooler lines and said they were clear and performed a routine service to it and found no issues. Does anyone think that this is more of an internal issue of the transmission or have any ideas of what to look for next? Would an extra cooler do the trick? Truck has 95000 miles.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's possible that the thermostat on the side of transmission is sticking and not allowing the fluid to cycle through the cooler.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the 8HP70 temperature is spiking, there is most likely an issue with the thermal bypass valve in the TMU on the side of the transmission. An extra cooler isn't needed, either replace the TMU or there's a bypass available for the TMU.

OP
OP
T

tjmaak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a link to the part? I can't seem to find one. Do they have it on rockauto?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nothing is surprising with those circumstance and temps with that transmission, good on you for pulling over, now do all of the deletes you can, look them up. Thermal bypass, shutter delete, and I might think there is something else, pm wildone. Whatever, just delete all of the garbage the gov't made your manu put on your truck. The us govt decided that if you run transmissions hot it is great for fuel mileage which is also a load of rymes with erd. I have the info for the rfe, just not the 8 speed, but there are deletes for the 8.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thermostat was good
How did he check the transmissions thermostat in the thermal management unit?? That thermostat is just a light duty pellet thermostat,kind of similiar to the engines thermostat,and has been known to have issues with sticking as HunterDan stated.
Read through this thread,as Caulk04 has developed a thermostat bypass for the 8 speeds.