2016 2500 5.7 SLT headlights not working but high beams do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought this Ram 2500 yesterday. This morning I was leaving to go fishing and the headlights would not come on. The high beam/brights worked fine though so I just used that. Passenger taillight completely out as well. ‍This is my first Dodge/Ram vehicle ever so I wondering if this is a common issue? I’m assuming it’s a fuse or relay, so I will be checking all of that.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of electrical problems can stem from the TIPM, the control board that is part of the fuse box by the battery. Is is a complex board with a bizzilion solder connections, soldered on relays and various solid state components.

That is a good place to start checking electric connections and values. Lots of videos on youtube showing repairs.

Would suggest getting the good shop manual for the truck plus a good digital volt / ohm meter (and maybe a simple test light) before you even start.

OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the response. I found a bunch of threads on the exact opposite of what my problem is, but only 1 with my issue. Nobody ever responded to the poor fellow.

I literally brought my tools and crawled under truck inspecting it Saturday before I bought it. Checked U Joints etc, looked for leaks, rust, checked every fluid on it. Spent a good 45 mins looking it over. Never even entered my mind to check headlights in the middle of the day. Ha. I'm learning about the TIPM. Shop manual probably gonna be needed on this one.:) I have a good multi meter already. I ended taking the interior headlight switch apart and checked that out yesterday evening. Cleaned up contacts etc. It's working fine. I bent the contacts a little to give more tension on it. Didn't help. After work today I'm going to remove the headlights and check bulbs, plus test for power and ground at the connections. I just find it hard to believe both bulbs being out at same time. Although when I look at each bulb up close through the lens, they are both a dark gray color. So it very could be both bulbs burnt out. Would be a first for me in my 51 yrs.

On my taillights the driver side works properly, the passenger side it's only the running light that is out. Brake, reverse,and signal all work. So I figured it was just the running light bulb. I removed it yesterday and realized they are aftermarket assemblies. LED Chinese crap. So there was no single bulb like the factory taillight. I've never messed with a LED light like that before with a bunch of 30 or so smaller bulbs. Not one of them come on for running light, but all work when brake pedal is pushed. So will need to do some power/ground testing on the running light circuit.

I found a bunch of other stuff that isn't working right since I bought it and will be needing some help on. P0868 Transmission Fluid Pressure Low is the major one. So after I get lights working, I'll post on that. Thanks again for responding.

Attachments

• IMG_4862.jpeg
    IMG_4862.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CRB357

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update. I was able to work on truck this morning. Amazingly both low beam bulbs were burned out. So replaced those and everything works. The rear taillight had some corrosion in the connector for lights. Sanded down the contacts and a little contact cleaner plus some dielectric grease and now that works. Also 3rd light light bulb was burnt, replaced that. Now all my lights function as they should.