2017-2018 2500/3500 brake system issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gasdude59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Hi all
This may have been discussed but it needs a revisit.
The issue with these trucks is a reoccurring Electronic Brake System Failure message along with ABS and Stability Control faults.

Our 2017 3500 only has 27K miles as it is primarily used to tow our gooseneck horse trailer.

This is now the third time this error has appeared. Twice they replaced both the ABS controller and hydraulic unit.
I called my dealer again and they researched it and discovered these parts are on hold for a possible redesign with an expected ETA of February 2024!
This means those of us with this error are driving safety compromised trucks.
I urge everyone who has this issue to report it to the NHTSA site as there are many reports of this problem there now and they have opened an investigation into this problem.
The site is nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/ram/3500.
I think the more of us who complain the better a chance of getting a recall and quicker action.
Just FYI my first pair was covered under warranty. The second pair cost approximately $1K for the repair. I hope to eventually be reimbursed if they are forced onto a recall.
Thanks

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OMG!!! How did we ever survive driving our trucks pulling a trailer before the advent of ABS?
Probably the same way we all survived riding our bikes without a helmet and drinking water out of a garden hose.

1693862001090.png

jeff4048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel

Gasdude59

I have the same issue and have also noted it with the NHTSA this should be recalled.
regarding survival regarding hose drinking and life before ABS, sure we all did it. But these auto manufactures install a feature, they should be required to make it work, and held responsible when it doesn't.

RamNotDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes we can survive without ABS, but these "safety items" were forced on us, so Ram is on the hook to provide support. I have 10 months worth of stories regarding my discussions with my local dealer, which has been little to no help.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No doubt things SHOULD work and the issues should be resolved...but if there isn't a certain threshold met then they don't have to issue a recall, a service bulletin will suffice.

I am betting that this is not a widespread issue, which is why no recall has been issued. For example, I put 100k on my 2017 and had zero issues with the braking system. I haven't seen too many people with issues with the braking system, to be honest.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I am on my 4th pump, 2018 ram 2500 and lately there are tons of these posts across different forums..... I dont need ABS, but when I am driving 935 miles 14 hours straight with no cruise control it sucks alot worse. First world problems I guess! Pumps failed at 60, 93 & 120, waiting on parts to be available but there is now a service bulletin which forces control module to be replaced when HCU goes out, I wonder if that was the problem behind HCU failure.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I'm getting ready for an 1800 mile round trip and would prefer not to listen to the annoying alarm going of for this issue every 15 seconds. Does anyone know which fuse I can pull to silence it? I looked on the lid of the fuse panel and it looked like there may have been a couple possibilities.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Make sure you report it to the nhtsa. There's an inquiry open for it already. The ABS pump motor and the software that controls it are both faulty and Ram is well aware of exactly what is wrong and how to fix it, but they aren't going to unless the US government forces them to.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Make sure you report it to the nhtsa. There's an inquiry open for it already. The ABS pump motor and the software that controls it are both faulty and Ram is well aware of exactly what is wrong and how to fix it, but they aren't going to unless the US government forces them to.
I reported mine months ago but good on ya for making sure people do. Mine's been out for coming up on a year now.

OP
OP
G

Gasdude59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Sure we can survive without ABS and STC, especially us older drivers who were taught to modulate brakes and steer into a skid.
The issue is for many years now the teaching has been stand on the brakes and let the computer take over. If the computer is not functioning this will likely put a driver totally out of control.
For me no problem, but I was raised with four on the floor and no computer at all.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sure we can survive without ABS and STC, especially us older drivers who were taught to modulate brakes and steer into a skid.
The issue is for many years now the teaching has been stand on the brakes and let the computer take over. If the computer is not functioning this will likely put a driver totally out of control.
For me no problem, but I was raised with four on the floor and no computer at all.

Ever drove a three on the tree? THOSE were fun.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Ever drove a three on the tree? THOSE were fun.
I learned to drive a standard on a late 70's Chevy three-On-A-Tree truck.
My Uncle put me in it at about 15 years old and said drive up the hill!!
"If you can get up this hill, you can drive stick!!!"
He first showed me the double clutch on the farm roads, and then he put me in front of the hill and said "Do It!"

e30memorial

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've been dealing with this issue for a year now and the Dealer says they can't fix it. I'm still under warranty but the warranty will expire prior to parts being available to fix it.
My biggest concern is I've heard a "rumor" that this also affects trailer brakes working properly. Can anyone confirm this either way?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've been dealing with this issue for a year now and the Dealer says they can't fix it. I'm still under warranty but the warranty will expire prior to parts being available to fix it.
My biggest concern is I've heard a "rumor" that this also affects trailer brakes working properly. Can anyone confirm this either way?

My understanding is that if there is an issue that occurred under warranty and hasn't been resolved, there isn't really a limitation on time or mileage to get it repaired - they still have to fix it. That's my understanding, it may not be correct as far as Ram is concerned, and the dealer is VERY likely to try to get out of it because it's more paperwork for them. If it's still an ongoing issue and your dealer can't solve it, I would contact another dealer and possibly Ram's customer service.

deputy25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know a method to disable the alarm for the ABS fault? I could care less about the ABS, but I don’t want the flashing display and audible alarm.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My 2018 cummins 2500 is in the shop right now for this issue. They are replacing it with a used part.

THis thread has some more details on the issue. I also found this company, xemodex which will repair your HCU. I have not used them, but if this happens again, or the Diesel shop can not repair my current unit, I am going with the DIY route.

deputy25

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced my HCU with the updated AB part. I'm going to either replace the motor on the old one or send it out for rebuild/repair for when the AB part craps out.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Last edited:

Gary Berling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes we can survive without ABS, but these "safety items" were forced on us, so Ram is on the hook to provide support. I have 10 months worth of stories regarding my discussions with my local dealer, which has been little to no help.
When will there be a recall ? This is a problem with thousands.

Gary Berling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all
This may have been discussed but it needs a revisit.
The issue with these trucks is a reoccurring Electronic Brake System Failure message along with ABS and Stability Control faults.

Our 2017 3500 only has 27K miles as it is primarily used to tow our gooseneck horse trailer.

This is now the third time this error has appeared. Twice they replaced both the ABS controller and hydraulic unit.
I called my dealer again and they researched it and discovered these parts are on hold for a possible redesign with an expected ETA of February 2024!
This means those of us with this error are driving safety compromised trucks.
I urge everyone who has this issue to report it to the NHTSA site as there are many reports of this problem there now and they have opened an investigation into this problem.
The site is nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/ram/3500.
I think the more of us who complain the better a chance of getting a recall and quicker action.
Just FYI my first pair was covered under warranty. The second pair cost approximately $1K for the repair. I hope to eventually be reimbursed if they are forced onto a recall.
Thanks
Picking up my 2018 2500 6.4 from Dealership tomorrow. Replaced the ABS pump ending with the AB part number, and a new Ignition switch for a total of $1,350. Will let you know how long the ABS pump last.