2017 3/4-Ton Work Truck Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't believe how quick the ford is now with the lower torque curve and new transmission. I mean it almost broke 100mph in the 1/4 mile. It's faster than mustangs were in the 90s.

Also further proves what everyone on here says about how awesome an 8 speed 6.4 truck would be. Or at least a decent 6 speed.

I bet most of the loaded speed was lost in the ram during the second gear when it's trying to catch it's breath after first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It's actually the 6R100, but the gear ratios are the same. It's a beefed up 6R80 to work with the 6.2. I've been monitoring the Ford boards pretty closely and there has been very little said about the "Torqshift-G", so I'm sure it's a great little tranny.

Hmm, interesting. I figured since it had the same gear ratios as the 6R80 that it was it. So it is just the bigger identical twin to the 6R80 just as the 6R80 is to the 6R60 and the 68RFE is to the 66RFE.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 6R100 is good so far at 9500 miles. It is just put in the F250 gas trucks. F350 gas get the big 6R140. The tranny was supposed to aid in efficiency for the truck also. My truck is up 15% vs my last 6.2, but I also went to the 4.30's which help some too for my driving.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hmm, interesting. I figured since it had the same gear ratios as the 6R80 that it was it. So it is just the bigger identical twin to the 6R80 just as the 6R80 is to the 6R60 and the 68RFE is to the 66RFE.

Exactly. :favorites13:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm always confused when people, especially us truck guys, get all bent out of shape with these tests/competitions?!? Is any of this really going to sway you to sell your 6.4 Ram and get a Ford/GM/Chevy? Also, I've yet to see where anyone on any Ram forum has said the 6.4 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I love my truck, it suites my needs and I'm glad I made a purchase. Is the tuning ideal? Nope. Is the fact the 6.4 Ram can't get up Ike Gaunlet fast even a remote concern for me? Nope. Honestly people, the hate in the 6.4 is unreal. If you hate it so much sell it and buy something you don't hate. Really boggles my mind, there are multiple different options in the Ram lineup and even more on other manufacturers. Regardless of anyone's hate or love for it, it's a solid truck that'll tow/haul a **** ton and do more than most it's owners will need. If it doesn't, you shouldn't have picked a gasser and stepped up to a diesel for your needs. That certainly isn't the truck or motors fault for your lack of planning. The fact that the Ram came second to the #1 selling truck for years doesn't concern me. I'm a Ram guy but I'll be the first to admit you really can't go wrong with any of the big three trucks. Buy the one you're comfortable in that suits your needs the best and not worry about the 0-60 or 1/4 times when hauling 1-2k of **** in the bed. I doubt you're going to the drag strip with an HD gasser, even less with weight in the bed. Who really cares.

Rant over.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I'm always confused when people, especially us truck guys, get all bent out of shape with these tests/competitions?!? Is any of this really going to sway you to sell your 6.4 Ram and get a Ford/GM/Chevy? Also, I've yet to see where anyone on any Ram forum has said the 6.4 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I love my truck, it suites my needs and I'm glad I made a purchase. Is the tuning ideal? Nope. Is the fact the 6.4 Ram can't get up Ike Gaunlet fast even a remote concern for me? Nope. Honestly people, the hate in the 6.4 is unreal. If you hate it so much sell it and buy something you don't hate. Really boggles my mind, there are multiple different options in the Ram lineup and even more on other manufacturers. Regardless of anyone's hate or love for it, it's a solid truck that'll tow/haul a **** ton and do more than most it's owners will need. If it doesn't, you shouldn't have picked a gasser and stepped up to a diesel for your needs. That certainly isn't the truck or motors fault for your lack of planning. The fact that the Ram came second to the #1 selling truck for years doesn't concern me. I'm a Ram guy but I'll be the first to admit you really can't go wrong with any of the big three trucks. Buy the one you're comfortable in that suits your needs the best and not worry about the 0-60 or 1/4 times when hauling 1-2k of **** in the bed. I doubt you're going to the drag strip with an HD gasser, even less with weight in the bed. Who really cares.

Rant over.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Based on these tests, I vote for the unicorn ... Ram/Ford collaboration. Ram with a 6.4 and 4.10s, Ford 6R100 tranny. Throw in a custom tune and you've got a monster on your hands! Yeah, I know the Ford 6.2 is pretty much what I'm asking for here, but dang it if the new Ford trucks aren't fugly (my opinion). The Ram design is getting exceptionally long in the tooth but it's still the best looking truck on the market. Has been since 1994. (again, my opinion)

Edit: Or I guess it'd be acceptable if FCA put a beefed up 8HP70 behind the 6.4, as long as it doesn't come with that stupid dial shifter.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Rant over.

It's really just one guy (Dan) who likes to stir the pot out of boredom, lack of intelligence, lack of oxygen, or whatever. As someone else said, on a better policed board he'd have long since been booted for trolling.

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It's really just one guy (Dan) who likes to stir the pot out of boredom, lack of intelligence, lack of oxygen, or whatever. As someone else said, on a better policed board he'd have long since been booted for trolling.

I think it is because he tries his best to make everyone else feel as miserable as he does in real life.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So if I read the final results right, the Ram came in first based on just the numbers but once you added in judges personal scores it came in 2nd. Not a bad showing at all IMO. The one thing I found silly scoring wise was the dings for the Ram actually being a "Work" truck with manual mirrors/windows and such. I thought that was a bit shallow on the testers end. Also, I'm not sure they had a few of their measurements correct like the weight of the Ram and it's capacities. Seems off compared to my research on the internet.
Anyway, love my truck and am still happy I bought it (even with the 3.73s) and know that with the Maxcare on it it'll be around for a LONG time.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I don't think Andrew was talking about me.... Nope, sorry but I'm not the one who gets all bent out of shape trying to say and try to prove the 6.4 would have won. Who keeps finding ways of saying the 6.4 wasn't the problem? Not me...... I'm a dodge, now I guess ram guy. I take the good with the bad, it failed so what. Just funny to poke the sensitive ones and watch :baby:

Still waiting to see the 6.4 beat the 6.0 on the Ike challenge, the whole 6.4 was faster at the beginning only ends with it losing... Try again....:welcome:

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
So if I read the final results right, the Ram came in first based on just the numbers but once you added in judges personal scores it came in 2nd. Not a bad showing at all IMO. The one thing I found silly scoring wise was the dings for the Ram actually being a "Work" truck with manual mirrors/windows and such. I thought that was a bit shallow on the testers end.

Yeah, I thought it was not bad that the Ram came in first on the testing end either. Some of the the gripes the judges had kind of made them sound like people who drive cars on a daily basis, not trucks.

Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Actually I was referring to you and every other 6.4 hater Danno. You're missing the point of my whole comment. Who cares how fast it gets up Ike compared to other gas HDs. Willing to be those who are doing those trips with that weight step up to a diesel and if they don't they have the wrong truck. Period. And who really cares about how fast 0-60 or the 1/4 with **** in the bed? These tests don't tell the whole story which is why we all are in Rams, that's just what we prefer. The LS based motors are arguably one of the best set of motors ever offered in any vehicle ever. Not only did the 6.4 outrun the chevy it also dynoed stronger as well. Not sure where you're comparison is going there? The 6.4 is no slouch and the tuning it's paired to is it's achilles heal but that's nothing any of us can change. I don't care what my truck runs up the Ike pulling thousands of pounds, I care how comfortable my truck, how reliable it is, how good it looks and it's resale value after I get my use out of it. That's what is important about an HD truck. All these ******** tests are basically useless. And the fact the Ram placed first before all the judges put in their thoughts on interior and ride quality tells us just that cause it ultimately placed 2nd for judges opinions, not actual results. As I said before I've never heard anyone say 6.4 Hemi is the best engine ever, so your attitude about hurting people's feelings is childish and ignorant. The reason you get remarks like you do is because they're unjustified. You blame the engine when it's 100% in the programming controlling it. The motor itself didn't explode or fall apart so not sure what you mean about "it failed". To what level? Cause the electronics put it in limp mode? Or cause it didn't run to the top of Ike at almost full capacity faster than the chevy did? That argument is moot. Yes, it's highly undesirable to have a truck do that but under those circumstances and running that route, you need a turbo diesel due to elevation when towing that much weight. I'd never buy any gas HD truck to do what they put it thru.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Where are you guys reading that the Ram came in first in points and second to Ford with the judges scoring???

In judges' scoring that evaluated the pickups across 10 subjective categories — bed features/access, interior layout, interior quality, interior comfort, how they hauled payload, how they rode empty, visibility, acceleration with payload, braking with payload and value — the Ford was the clear winner with 736 points, followed by the Nissan (695), the Chevy (694) and the Ram (634).

Edit: Stop feeding trolls and they will go away

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Testing total

2a7b5758a17bc3121a00dfeda1624c63.jpg

Subjective tests are just that, subjective to the judge. The test was actual performance of the truck thru it's paces

It's still besides the point here.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
This is what I take from this test. If I am satisfied with my longest tow to date coming in June traveling from Northern Ohio to Dainridge Tenn. to Anchor Down Rv Resort. I will get the lifetime warranty for it and keep it or if i dont like it. Put 4.56 gears in my truck and keep it and be darn close to matching the power output of the ford with 4.30 gears. And not have to start over paying on a truck again. I like everything else about my truck, amenities,looks,suspension,axles. The superduty styling really stinks. I dont know who approved this new design but it could have been better. IMO.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually don't mind the styling of the Fords, it's a decent looking truck with bigger tires on it. I'm a Mopar guy thru and thru, but like I said can't go wrong with any of the big 3. In beyond happy with my truck and hope I can stop my vehicle ADD and keep it long term. I'll be doing my level, 37s and 4.56s this summer

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Oh, found another but call me a hater.... That cuts deep, my PW was $60k so I'm not a hater but a realist. Granted I paid no where close to that!! Resale value and Ram in the same thought, that's a Ike challenge type of epic fail. They don't hold value as you can buy them cheap.

How dare anyone think a truck can perform to its advertised capacity, oh the agony....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank