2018 1500 wreck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Sad news, Thursday early am driving to work right around the corner of my home a high schooler pulls out without looking into traffic in a 21 wrangler and takes me out. I was going about 23mph according to the dashcam and I would assume that’s accurate given the traffic and road conditions. Kid was found at fault as he pulled out right as I was about to pass him. Damage to the ram is substantial front end pass side, pass side suspension and wheel, some front pass door and the. He hit me again on the rear bed corner and bumper. Nothing went off airbag wise in the truck and it honestly didn’t throw any codes and still ran. Truck was towed and sitting at shop waiting to hear from I assume was the dads insurance. I don’t think they will total it but prob 10-15k damage I would assume depending on what they do with the bed. I’m also annoyed as I have FXR projector swapped headlights and they won’t put anything but stock back in I assume so now I would have to retrofit that side as well again. Shop said looking at 6-8weeks turn around likely depending on parts availability.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0621.jpeg
    IMG_0621.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 87

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OUCH!..sorry dude hope it can get repaired without costing you $$...If approachable maybe talk to "Daddy"..

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry bro, they must replace what was there, dont let them slide on that.

If they need help you can always say your neck is soar.

They play hardball, play hardball back.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Oh, man, good luck.

I crashed my RAM into an eighteen wheeler gravel truck that ran an stop sign back on the second day of November ... the trucker made note to the police that he didn't see me or the stop sign that he passed through. I had only enough time to smash the brakes, simultaneously smacking the gravel trailer at it's landing gear ...

My truck's airbag(s)also didn't deploy at ~ 45mph? taking the brunt force of the impact right down the front middle of the frame to where the cross member where the engine is mounted and "pinched" the left hand side of the frame to just right behind the cab where the bed meets.

So, the insurance isn't totaling my truck and has authorized a new frame to be slapped back under it and whatever other repairs will be needed ... still waiting on a frame. Parts are on order since the middle of November, so my truck sits outside at the collision center repair shop waiting for parts. Very slow process and was told parts could be OEM, aftermarket, or used ... even when I stated I would only accept new OEM parts ...

I honestly do not think my truck will be anything like it was before the accident when and if it ever gets repaired ...
everything will need to be removed from my original frame to a new one, unplugging electrical connections, A-arms, ball joints, engine, transmission, rear end, gas tank, cab and bed, exhaust, everything.

Anyhow, OP it's good that no one was injured? and your truck can be repaired to it's former glory.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having been in the 'biz' for a long time, it doesn't look too bad. To most owners, bent sheet metal, plastic and wheels on their 'baby' usually seem a lot worse. If it's a good shop they (& the adjuster) ought to be able to determine if it's beyond repair and deal with the situation as required. Bummer that it goofed up your day. Last thing you needed to have happen.

Glad nobody was hurt.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The way your right front wheel is sitting,
it looks like the brace welded to the frame, did exactly what it is suppose to.
Before they started installing them, the tire & wheel often ended up pushing the floor of the cab up into the cab,
If someone happened to be sitting there, the Fire Department had to cut the floor out, to release your leg.

frame features highlighted in the Guild 21 talk included tire blockers — high-strength steel parts whose “sole function” is to keep tires forward of the door so it can be opened after a crash

1706406620530.png

1706407137663.png

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with chopperman1, DO NOT talk their insurance company. Also, don't use the repair shop somebody else picked, use your choice. Just because it is in the repair lot doesn't mean it has to stay there.

Sorry for the problems, but if they want to repair it, a good shop can make it happen. My first brand new Ram had its frame bent when a lift collapsed week 2 that I owned it. The right shop fixed it better than new, tracked perfect for years after, zero problems.

Good luck

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
GT ...thanks! Nice breakdown of the frame steel.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As has been said, dont let them bs you out of the upgrades to your truck. They were on it when it was wrecked, they need to be replaced.

And, by all means, pick the shop YOU want to repair your truck.

Sorry about your baby, glad you are ok. Prayers for smooth and complete repairs.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I backed my 2009 Dodge Ram into a Olive Tree.
I had no idea what the repair was going to cost, whether i was going to have it repaired using my cash or going through my insurance .
I carried a Million dollar policy at the time
So i talked to my insurance company & they sent out an insurance adjuster.

If i paid cash, the repair was going to be less than the insurance & my rate would being going up.

After the Adjuster told me that, i thanked him for informing me & that i was not going to use the insurance policy.
All of a sudden he changed from a friendly smiling guy to just the opposite.
He said that someone was going to have to pay for his time.
He had picked the Time & it was inconvenient for me.
He lived real close to the Auto Body Shop,
so i did not feel bad for him.

Damage was only a tailgate that needed to be replaced & a rear bumper that could have been straightened, but it was cheaper to buy a new one & both parts needed to be painted

1706416326178.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Thanks guys, still waiting to hear from insurance both are informed. I reached out to both insurances as I didn’t want this getting dragged out. I needed to get this rolling before the police report becomes available and I will likely need a rental till it’s fixed.

I had the truck towed same day to a body shop I chose. They have a good rep and very good communication from when I reached out to them about another incident with a tonno cover that hit me on the highway. They were willing to work with the mods and that I needed to be able to provide proof of all the costs/items. Last November I delt with something like this but it was a tonno cover flew off a f150 at 70mph and the guys insurance sent me a check as I wanted to do the work myself. For what they sent I was able to replace more, color match the truck and make some upgrades. I won’t be doing that this time but I never had to deal with my insurance. In fact I reached out to mine just in case and both times I would have had to pay a fee for them to start the process. With this accident I would be liable for my deductible $500 and they would start the claim (travelers insurance). Last time it was $100 out of pocket and I said screw that im not paying anything I did nothing wrong.

I won’t be taking any shortcuts with the repair but I know they will be using OEM and aftermarket parts as that’s what they always do and every repair shop has that in there paperwork. With the headlight I have no way of providing the retrofit cost. It took me a weekend to swap them 10 years ago. I might be able to find an invoice for the projectors but that’s like nothing vs opening up one and doing the work. I just want the truck fixed and back in great shape. I also have $1500 worth of tonno cover and bakbox to put in.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
OUCH!..sorry dude hope it can get repaired without costing you $$...If approachable maybe talk to "Daddy"..
Nothing to do with Dad, it is all on the insurance co. And the police report.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Thanks guys, still waiting to hear from insurance both are informed. I reached out to both insurances as I didn’t want this getting dragged out. I needed to get this rolling before the police report becomes available and I will likely need a rental till it’s fixed.

I had the truck towed same day to a body shop I chose. They have a good rep and very good communication from when I reached out to them about another incident with a tonno cover that hit me on the highway. They were willing to work with the mods and that I needed to be able to provide proof of all the costs/items. Last November I delt with something like this but it was a tonno cover flew off a f150 at 70mph and the guys insurance sent me a check as I wanted to do the work myself. For what they sent I was able to replace more, color match the truck and make some upgrades. I won’t be doing that this time but I never had to deal with my insurance. In fact I reached out to mine just in case and both times I would have had to pay a fee for them to start the process. With this accident I would be liable for my deductible $500 and they would start the claim (travelers insurance). Last time it was $100 out of pocket and I said screw that im not paying anything I did nothing wrong.

I won’t be taking any shortcuts with the repair but I know they will be using OEM and aftermarket parts as that’s what they always do and every repair shop has that in there paperwork. With the headlight I have no way of providing the retrofit cost. It took me a weekend to swap them 10 years ago. I might be able to find an invoice for the projectors but that’s like nothing vs opening up one and doing the work. I just want the truck fixed and back in great shape. I also have $1500 worth of tonno cover and bakbox to put in.

You pay the deductible up front but get it reimbursed when his insurance company pays up if you go through your own. Paying a fee to file a claim sounds like terrible insurance, though, never seen or heard of that.

mluneack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am Ram for life!
Hit a tree with my 2018 Big Horn at freeway speed. 8 broken ribs and 2 days in the hospital, glad to be alive!
Nothing but a Ram for me.

Attachments

• 8B21CFB1-8AFF-4333-8D06-7D164080FC66.jpeg
    8B21CFB1-8AFF-4333-8D06-7D164080FC66.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 33
  • EC050951-4412-4CE9-BAA0-87FB634688EF.jpeg
    EC050951-4412-4CE9-BAA0-87FB634688EF.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 33

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am Ram for life!
Hit a tree with my 2018 Big Horn at freeway speed. 8 broken ribs and 2 days in the hospital, glad to be alive!
Nothing but a Ram for me.
Damn did you go buy a lottery ticket afterwards,as somebody was sure looking out for you ;)