2018 RAM 2500 ABS problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inline 6 Diesel
2018 RAM 2500 Diesel ABS Brake Problems.
I have read many discussions and how tos on fixing this problem with ABS brake light coming on intermittently. The problem seems to be in the ABS unit which has had many problems and I ink many of you have had them replaced several times at the dealer under warranty or out of pocket for $1000 to $2000 only for it to go out again. The original, which seems to be junk, module part number ends in AA and there is a replacement part that will fix the problem which ends in AB. The AB part number is difficult to impossible to fine. My last call to a RAM dealer said there were 3280 requests and only one in the system.
Now to my point. After many hours searching forums and website I found a company that will rebuild your existing ABS module to the new AB standards and give you a life time warranty. XeMODeX Technology in Canada. I pulled my module off which was the old AA designation and had been replaced by the dealer at 8,000 miles. Boxed it up and sent it air freight ($119) because I needed it quickly ground would be around $30. Three days later I had a reconditioned module with the new part number AB stamped on it ready to install. The cost of the rebuild was $500, may sound a little high but you can get it quick and it is the new version with warranty. I have been driving it for about 2,000 miles with no ABS light coming on and no codes showing up.
I hope this helps and if you are part of the class action suit that is in the works you may be reimbursed so keep your documentation.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does/ has anyone figured out what happens inside the module that causes the fault?
There was a problem years ago with ABS modules on Mopar vehicles where the solder trace would crack for the power +pin. If you opened the module it was obvious it got hot and the solder failed. Cleaning the trace and resoldering would fix the problem. Refinish the solder trace, reseal the module, reconnect to the ABS pump, plug it in and all was repaired. 2 hours tops.
It sure would suck if that’s what it is all this time for all these Module faults.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does/ has anyone figured out what happens inside the module that causes the fault?
There was a problem years ago with ABS modules on Mopar vehicles where the solder trace would crack for the power +pin. If you opened the module it was obvious it got hot and the solder failed. Cleaning the trace and resoldering would fix the problem. Refinish the solder trace, reseal the module, reconnect to the ABS pump, plug it in and all was repaired. 2 hours tops.
It sure would suck if that’s what it is all this time for all these Module faults.
Cheeseman/Clint has a decent video on repairing one of the ABS issues.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s a great piece of information.
So these ABS components have more than one issue?
Unless members are just using the wrong component descriptions.
I’ve read about ABS modules failing, now I’m reading about ABS pump motors falling.
With the bad news on locating a part, knowing how to make the component repair could be the necessary answer. I can’t believe any dealership would allow any tech to repair a component (module resolder or pump motor brush mod) without backing from the manufacturer.
On the pump motor, though, why are they still using a brushed motor? Brushless motors have been proven most reliable and lasting longer.

2018Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2018 2500. Tomorrow it goes in for its 2nd ABS module replacement, lucky the first one was replaced 1 1/2 years ago under extended warranty. Dealership stated there is a 2 year warranty on the part so no cost for replacement. You would think there could be a fix for this. Dealership also said they are only allowed 1 part order a week for this part so had to wait in line for my turn

Sburto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was having the same issue with my ABS module. I took a chance and spent the $ and sent my unit to XeMODeX. It’s only been a couple of weeks but I feel confident that they did a good job it.

Taking it off was easy! I didn’t even pull the tire.

FNRG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same issue. Was able to remove my HCU motor and free up the brushes by prying their enclosure open slightly allowing them to slide freely. Then put motor back on using some small metal shims. About 1 hour in all . No money spent. If you have the same issue. Brushes sticking.