2018 Ram 2500 not able to get navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Bucci

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So I just called the dealership as well as Uconnect and I was informed that the 2018 ram is unable to get navigation because of the apple car play and the android thing. Is this true? If so, it kinda sucks you can't get navigation!!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I remember correctly a 8.4 UAS(non Nav) cannot be upgraded to have Nav. You would have to swap the radio for a 8.4 UAQ that has built in Nav.
Unless they have done some remarkable upgrade to the built in navigation, your better off using Google maps via Android Auto/Car Play

Last edited:

Ram36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It depends which radio the 8.4" screen one model comes with nav the other does not. I think the Android nav on phone much better it is real time and no need to update ever 2 years.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's odd. Both my 2013 Viper, and my 2016 Ram have the 8.4 U Connect, but I don't have Nav on either one. However, I keep getting emails from FCA trying to get me to "activate the built in Nav" on both vehicles. So maybe the Carplay units are different?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's odd. Both my 2013 Viper, and my 2016 Ram have the 8.4 U Connect, but I don't have Nav on either one. However, I keep getting emails from FCA trying to get me to "activate the built in Nav" on both vehicles. So maybe the Carplay units are different?

The older version of the 8.4 non-nav was up-gradable. The new version oin the 2018 is not. You either buy the Nav version or the non nav. there is no upgrading now.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
So to get Nav you gotta buy a new truck.... Sneaky.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just called the dealership as well as Uconnect and I was informed that the 2018 ram is unable to get navigation because of the apple car play and the android thing. Is this true? If so, it kinda sucks you can't get navigation!!
If you decide to upgrade to a navigation radio, I'd buy the radio in your truck currently

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Believe you have a UAS 4C which can't be nav upgraded. CarPlay isn't the reason why it can't be upgraded tho.

I installed a used 2018 UAQ 4C-nav in my 2018 Express yesterday. The nav display is nice but the jump seat media hub isn't working

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Believe you have a UAS 4C which can't be nav upgraded. CarPlay isn't the reason why it can't be upgraded tho.

I installed a used 2018 UAQ 4C-nav in my 2018 Express yesterday. The nav display is nice but the jump seat media hub isn't working

If using a 18 UAQ or UAS radio (Android Auto/CarPlay) you will need to reference the following Ramforum threads and directions ...
- How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM. (Please read posts 1-5 for correct PNs, etc)

18 Premium USB Hub (works with Android AND APPLE vs base hub )
PN: 68328704AC (RAM)

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph Bucci

Ralph Bucci

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
How can you tell which radio you have? I was always under the impression that I could just upgrade the software in my existing radio and then obtain the navigation key once purchased. I guess I was sadly mistaken!!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How can you tell which radio you have? I was always under the impression that I could just upgrade the software in my existing radio and then obtain the navigation key once purchased. I guess I was sadly mistaken!!

If you don't have nav you have the UAS (UAQ has nav) on your 2018. Like mentioned, prior to 2018 (in the 2500 trucks) they had the RA3 (non nav) and RA4 (nav) 8.4 radios. The RA3 was upgradable as it had the nav pre loaded and could be activated with a code from the dealer.

The only way for you to get Nav is to swap out your UAS for a UAQ radio.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The older version of the 8.4 non-nav was up-gradable. The new version oin the 2018 is not. You either buy the Nav version or the non nav. there is no upgrading now.

Interesting. So they went backwards.....

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I’ve been using the Waze app for navigation on my 2018. The navigation works well, and it also provides traffic congestion info, construction, road hazard warnings, and police parked on the highway. Hell, I’ve had it warn me about an upcoming pothole in the road, and there was one.

It’s almost too much information, but you can selectively turn things off in the settings.

OP
OP
Ralph Bucci

Ralph Bucci

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I’ve been using the Waze app for navigation on my 2018. The navigation works well, and it also provides traffic congestion info, construction, road hazard warnings, and police parked on the highway. Hell, I’ve had it warn me about an upcoming pothole in the road, and there was one.

It’s almost too much information, but you can selectively turn things off in the settings.

I LOVE waze and use it all the time but I like the factory nav feature of tracking where you were. I work in construction and look at a lot of houses and sometimes you get so far back in a neighborhood that it's nice to see where you have already driven so you can backtrack!!