2019 classic having hard downshift issues "dealer can't replicate issue"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keigan Morgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 l v6
I am looking for some advice my 2019 1500 classic is having a hard downshift issue when going from coasting at low rpms to going uphill. The downshift is so hard feels like getting rear-ended I had the issue happen 2 times just on the way to the dealership. The dealership drove it said can't replicate the issue so there is nothing they can do. What should I do?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the same thing on my '18 CTD. Sometimes the down shift is so hard that the rear tires will screech when on a sandy/dirty road. It don't happen all the time. EB on/off, tow on/off. I think that since we have to complete versions of truck, and if yours has the 6sp, it might be a trans torque converter thing. I had the Torque app on and it hit as the TC released.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is doing what my Pacifica does, it is just downshifting more than one gear. I has more to do with your driving style/conditions that the trans and hasn't caused me any issues.
I can duplicate it on one turn almost everytime and it's just the way I am driving at that point. It's sporadic other than that one place but it is always the same conditions when it does it.
Different programming could hide it.

Another thing that you might want to do just to rule it out, is to have your transmission fluid level checked.