2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi - clunking noise on brisk acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I quickly accelerate from a stop, I'm hearing a loud metallic noise that sounds like a load is shifting, I hear a slide then a bang, like I had something in the bed that is sliding then hitting the tailgate, but the bed is empty. My first thought was the spare is sliding back and forth, but that's not it. I'm not sure if it's front or back, been hard for me to pinpoint. It's pretty loud. I had the local mechanic with a lifetime of experience throw it up on his lift and he checked all of the "obvious stuff" and he didn't see anything jumping out at him. Any ideas ? Thanks.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
MDS reloading the other 4 cylinders? Try using the gear selector to 8th gear and see if it still happens. Or putting it in tow haul mode. That will shut off the MDS

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDS reloading the other 4 cylinders? Try using the gear selector to 8th gear and see if it still happens. Or putting it in tow haul mode. That will shut off the MDS
I will try that tomorrow but I don't think it's an engine thing ... I see that some guys take a recording and post an audio file ... maybe I will try that. It's like something is loose and the quick take off is making it travel several inches then it bangs into a wall that stops it ... like I had a brick in the bed that slid across the bed and "pow" hits the tailgate, but it has a metallic sound to it.

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a short vid in a .mov file but don't know how to post it here ... any ideas folks ?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a short vid in a .mov file but don't know how to post it here ... any ideas folks ?
You probably have to upload the video to something like youtube, then copy and paste the url from youtube into a comment in this thread.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^^ what he said. Can't see it.

If you want to make it semi private, you can change the status to "unlisted" instead. When it's unlisted nobody will see it unless they have the URL you posted here, and google won't recommend it to random users etc.

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 noise

Here is the link to the noise ... sounds like one hit to a cowbell to me now that I listen to it on the computer !

Mamba Surf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get the clunk similar to that but not all the time - it sounds like the transmission locking in or something.
Almost all the time when I am towing something.

Davis MacD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a delayed clunk sound on my old nissan space cab. I discovered that I had a center support bushing on the driveline w/a huge bushing that was completely blown apart. The 2-piece driveline would not touch the steel support bracket until I stomped on the gas. Sometimes it would clunk, sometimes it would grind against it. Sometimes it would hit the remnant of the bushing and make a softer sound.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
You might check the sway bar bolts at the rear. Had a local fellow tell me his previous 2500 6.4 had a loose bolt there and was making a banging noise. That truck was later totaled and his new 2022 equipped the same had a loose one as well after a few miles. I figured after a few thousand miles I would check mine and if loose would post something on the forum. Figured each time I serviced the truck it would be on my list to check.