2020 1500 won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jefferson152

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
New battery. Alternator and starter check out good. All dash lights come on. When you hit push button to start a single click then nothing. Won’t start with a jump. Took to a dealer. They had it for 10 days and told me it started today and didn’t have any answers. Seemed like they didn’t wanna work on it. They knew if the issue cause I had it towed there and it wouldn’t start for them. They literally did nothing it just started for them and they quit diagnosing. I’m at a loss.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you had the new battery load tested? It could be a bad battery even though new. Second is to verify all connections from ignition to battery to starter to alternator are all clean at terminals and tight. Also, check your grounds. Check the output from the alternator to verify the amperage and voltage are good. The alternator could have bad diodes or some other issue and not charging the battery properly and/or draining the battery when the engine is off.

Next, your starter switch appears to be connecting to turn on dash lights but the connection point for starting could be glitchy. You could take it off and repeatedly test it for continuity by pressing it, no or intermittent readings could be a bad switch. And your starter could be going and not always fully engaging when power gets to it. You could test the current to it when the switch is pressed and it doesn't start.

One of the 4 major parts; wires, battery, alternator, starter ( and switch), one is possibly your problem. Going to take some investigating to figure it out. Good luck.

gwhite0820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a similar issue with my 2013 Ram 1500. I hadn’t been running for a week or so. It won’t start. Brake pedal is stiff. I took the battery to Autozone. They tested it. And then charged it. Brought it back and still won’t start. Lights on the dash light up. Any help would be appreciated.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a similar issue with my 2013 Ram 1500. I hadn’t been running for a week or so. It won’t start. Brake pedal is stiff. I took the battery to Autozone. They tested it. And then charged it. Brought it back and still won’t start. Lights on the dash light up. Any help would be appreciated.
Try swapping the starter relay with one of the fan relays,and see what happens.

Buckeye Chuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My starter just died this week on a 2020 1500 Build to serve edition, Have extended warranty had it towed to the dealer and only cost me the deductible to replace it.