2020 RAM 1500 3.6L Oil Capacity: 6 qts or 5 qts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsherv

Reaction score
This weekend I did my first oil / filter change on my 2020 RAM 1500 with the 3.6L V6. Everything I read says that the crankcase has a 6 quart oil capacity. With a warm engine, I drained the oil until it was dripping out of the engine oil pan. I drained about 5 quarts. I then added 5 quarts, pulled the dipstick, and the oil level was up to the full line. What am I missing? Should have it taken more than 5 quarts?

OP
OP
T

tsherv

Reaction score
Yes, I did change the filter. It's strange...I had the engine warm, the truck was level, and only drained 5 quarts. I then added 5 quarts and the dipstick was full.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, I did change the filter. It's strange...I had the engine warm, the truck was level, and only drained 5 quarts. I then added 5 quarts and the dipstick was full.
After you put in the 5 quarts, did you run the engine for a minute to pump the oil into the filter then look at the dipstick again?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't check it after I started it...that may be the answer. I'll check.
You shouldn't have to do that, but you never know. I don't think I've ever done that, I just put in what the book said it needed and assumed that took into account the amount in the oil filter.