2021 1500 Classic "Factory" holes in wheel well liner and undisclosed dent repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a new 2021 1500 Classic in October. When I hand washed the truck for the first time, I discovered two drilled holes in the rear driver's side wheel well liner. The dealer tells me this is normal, however I can't imagine why you'd want holes in them. Upon further inspection, It appears that there are scratches on the backside of the bed side where tools may have been used to remove a dent. Does anyone else have these holes in their liners? Are dealers required to disclose repaired damage on new vehicles?IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0137.JPG

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Both my 2005 and 2018 have the liners, and neither of them have holes like that. Very odd!

OP
OP
L

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I can't imagine why they'd drill there since its wide open in front of them anyway. Looks like the dealer's going to have to deal with me unless someone else with a '21 Classic has matching holes.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your truck is a pos lemon, did you not have your eyes open when you looked at it . They need to return all your down payment and cancel the deal so you can get you a ford.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are dealers required to disclose repaired damage on new vehicles?
Not sure why the holes are there but it's a good possibility that the dent repair could have happened at the factory. You would be surprised how many vehicles end up in the repair area.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
No doubt that is from a mobile ding/dent repair guy. A lazy one at that. Many car dealers have contact with a guy like this along with paint match guys that can paint a bumper or do touch up right in the lot. I would go to the dealer and confront them in person and get a new liner. After all you paid for a new truck, not a damaged repaired one.

On edit, to answer your question, under $500 repair is not considered reportable for a crash report so it would not be disclosed.

OP
OP
L

Lubeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No doubt that is from a mobile ding/dent repair guy. A lazy one at that. Many car dealers have contact with a guy like this along with paint match guys that can paint a bumper or do touch up right in the lot. I would go to the dealer and confront them in person and get a new liner. After all you paid for a new truck, not a damaged repaired one.

On edit, to answer your question, under $500 repair is not considered reportable for a crash report so it would not be disclosed.
That's what I figured. When I bought the truck, the plastic bed rail cap was loose at the front drivers side. Turns out the plastic that snaps into the bed is broken. The truck was dirty when I test drove it. I asked if the truck if it had any hail damage, since it was too dirty to see minor dings. Of course the salesman said "No, we'd have to disclose that." Went over to the service department to get the bed rail cap replaced and they said they were to busy to look at it. I'd have to schedule a service appointment just to have them look at it before they would order the part. After they detailed the truck, it was almost as dirty as before covered in water spots. A week or two later, I hand washed the truck and saw the holes in the wheel well liner. They're on the same side of the bed as the broken rail cap. When I finally got it into the dealer to look at rail cap, I asked bout the liner and they said oh they're all like that. Now that I know about the PDR scratches on the back side of the bed, I can see that the panel is a bit wavy. I also noticed a couple of touched up spots on the driver's side door that I couldn't see at the dealership.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If it was major hail damage they would turn it into insurance, THEN yes he would have to disclose it. The nonreportable damage that they had "touched up" is more or less a cover up.
Face to face bringing all of your findings to their attention they will hopefully do right. Good luck. On the bright side, atleast you didn't find any major bodywork. Hope it all works out for you.
I still have a ding in my back bumper from when they detailed it during finalizing. I chose to live with it instead of the hassle.