2022 Cummins Regen Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It depends on how the truck is driven, but under 'normal' operation then no the DPF shouldn't need to be replaced. In order to clog it up, you'd have to make lots of short trips and never let it complete a regen cycle. I wouldn't think a '22 with 37k on it would have been run like that though. Perhaps someone tuned it to remove the regen cycles?
Thanks. I hope the dealer will tune it back to factory if that is the case. I'm wondering if the shortage in filters is because many are having to be replaced.

I was aware that multiple short trips were not good for diesel but I make a trip of about 60 miles, mostly highway, once or twice a week. I'd figure that either the 60 miles down or 60 back would be sufficient to clean it out weekly.

Perhaps it is just a defective filter?

Would really like to hear something, other than "there is a delay in shipping, we appreciate your patience" from Ram.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've also just learned that my truck has an unresolved emissions recall for a "particulate matter sensor".

Could that have been what caused the DPF to get full?

OP
OP
H

hphillips65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've also just learned that my truck has an unresolved emissions recall for a "particulate matter sensor".

The dealer called me today. Said it’s a new recall and that is what may have been the issue. They have had my truck now over three weeks. Hopefully I will get it back next week.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Possibly? Though from what I understand there was a 'stop sale' on them last year because this sensor and module was missing. Mine fell under that, which is why it was still there at the end of June.

It's done 2 regen cycles in the 2800 miles I've put on it, and it reads when the DPF starts to get filled.

However, my app just notified me yesterday that my truck still falls under that recall, which was published in December. So I guess I'll be sending it back in to them to have that done, though I may just tell them to get the parts and set them aside for my first oil change and do it then, IF it needs them.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The dealer called me today. Said it’s a new recall and that is what may have been the issue. They have had my truck now over three weeks. Hopefully I will get it back next week.
Ram doesn't keep a large supply of parts in stock. I used to run a manufacturing plant and what goes into getting parts for a recall is quite the performance.

They keep enough in stock to manufacture the trucks on their schedule to be built and some supply of backup parts in the event that there is a bad one on the production line or to fill dealer orders here or there. They don't anticipate a recall nor stock parts on the shelf just in case. It's expensive and would send their overhead through the roof.

So when a recall happens, they're not sending out any current stock of parts because the assumption has to be made that those may be bad as well. They have to first identify what specifically is causing the parts to fail. If it's a production line issue they have to identify it, change a process, etc...

If it's a component problem, they have to work with the manufacturer of the part to identify a solution, change their engineering drawings, go through a peer review process, and then send out a modified order to the OEM of the failed part to begin production of the new parts. The OEM has to order the material, schedule time on their production lines to manufacture a small number of the revised parts, send the new parts through a quality review and first article inspection, and once approved they can actually schedule time on the production line.

You have to remember that the production lines are probably running at max capacity and they can't shut down a line and be late on all their other parts or risk their customers going somewhere else. It can take months for all of the above to happen.

This isn't a quick process even when everything is expedited. With supply chain issues they're already behind so a lot of manufacturers are really struggling to catch back up.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So, what's reasonable? At what point is a manufacturer supposed to either replace or buy back a truck they can't repair?

I've done a bit of research and, as others have stated, the parts availability problem is happening to most brands.

There must be some limit.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, what's reasonable? At what point is a manufacturer supposed to either replace or buy back a truck they can't repair?

I've done a bit of research and, as others have stated, the parts availability problem is happening to most brands.

There must be some limit.
It depends on each state and the manufacturer. In Alabama, our lemon law covers vehicles when a problem:
1) significantly impairs the use or safety of the vehicle
2) occurs during normal use
3) is not caused by abuse, neglect, etc..
4) is not caused by an accident

Alabama defines reasonable repair attempts if during 24 months or 24k miles the manufacturer was unable to make the repair 3 times, with at least 1 attempt made during the 1st 12 mos or 12k miles, and the vehicle was inoperable for a total of 30 or more calendar days then it might fall under the lemon law.

Ford actually began the process to buy back our Expedition outside of lemon law, but per their terms on their paperwork it is only applicable to vehicles with under 80k miles and we were at 82k. They stuck to their guns and wouldn't do it.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got my truck back yesterday. One day shy of 4 weeks to get the part. During this time, I seriously considered buying another brand and selling this one when repaired. Just didn't think it was worth it owning a vehicle for which parts are not available.

In my research it seems that most brands are experiencing delays in getting parts. That is pretty sad but, I guess, it is the world we live in.

Besides the difficulty of getting this truck repaired, I really like it

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

The missing sensor is in the SCR and counts particulates emitted after going through the system. It has zero to do with the regen issues. The issue can be caused by a world of things. From injector leaking, turbo seal weeping oil, a sensor not working properly or even an air filter restriction just to name a few. It’s a very complex system that works great when it works and gives the code reading mechanics (parts changers) a fit because they don’t know how to diagnose anything other than what the computer tells them. To top it off, they read the codes and have to call FCA to get what type of repairs to perform. Luckily I have not personally seen any of this YET with my 22’ 2500. Mine is working like it’s supposed to for now.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got my truck back yesterday. One day shy of 4 weeks to get the part. During this time, I seriously considered buying another brand and selling this one when repaired. Just didn't think it was worth it owning a vehicle for which parts are not available.

In my research it seems that most brands are experiencing delays in getting parts. That is pretty sad but, I guess, it is the world we live in.

Besides the difficulty of getting this truck repaired, I really like it
In today's world... I would call a 4 week turnaround a success (sadly)! Glad you got it back. It is true though.. right now it does not matter the brand. They're all having issues getting parts and a lot of shortcuts were taken in manufacturing during Covid, so issues are going to persist for a while. We're all on this ride.

For instance... we bought a 2021 Nissan Armada Platinum when we dumped our Expedition. Really nice vehicle and seemed to have no issues until we tried using the seat heaters in the middle row. I noticed a few others posting about issues with their mid row seat heaters not working. I swung by the local Nissan dealer to have them look at it and they couldn't figure it out and opened a warranty claim with Nissan.

On a whim, I popped off the fuse panel cover and to my surprise... the fuse was missing. I popped one in and they have been working for over a year now. I mentioned this to the other Armada owners and they too were missing the same fuse. I don't know if they were out of fuses, just missed it during assembly and final inspection, or what happened. But... it was built during Covid. We called the dealership and had them close the case. I contacted Nissan direct and was basically given a shoulder shrug. They couldn't explain it either.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In today's world... I would call a 4 week turnaround a success (sadly)! Glad you got it back. It is true though.. right now it does not matter the brand. They're all having issues getting parts and a lot of shortcuts were taken in manufacturing during Covid, so issues are going to persist for a while. We're all on this ride.

For instance... we bought a 2021 Nissan Armada Platinum when we dumped our Expedition. Really nice vehicle and seemed to have no issues until we tried using the seat heaters in the middle row. I noticed a few others posting about issues with their mid row seat heaters not working. I swung by the local Nissan dealer to have them look at it and they couldn't figure it out and opened a warranty claim with Nissan.

On a whim, I popped off the fuse panel cover and to my surprise... the fuse was missing. I popped one in and they have been working for over a year now. I mentioned this to the other Armada owners and they too were missing the same fuse. I don't know if they were out of fuses, just missed it during assembly and final inspection, or what happened. But... it was built during Covid. We called the dealership and had them close the case. I contacted Nissan direct and was basically given a shoulder shrug. They couldn't explain it either.

Honestly same here. My Wagon was down, tech couldn't figure it out. They had techs and an engineer from the Proving Grounds come out to look it over, and the engineer spent time going through his notes...turned out to be a MAP sensor (discovered AFTER I bought my new truck, because I needed a truck, they couldn't get the engineer and techs out there for a few weeks, etc). They still had to wait almost 2 weeks for the part to come in.

We see it in my industry too - parts that used to be consistently in stock (especially electrical components) now have leadtimes, sometimes upwards of 20 weeks. It is absolutely terrible and sucks to have to deal with, but everyone is dealing with it as best we can.

Mikeyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So far sir mine works as it should. But I’m gun shy, I hate to even change an air filter as it could change something to mess it up.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's not going to hurt anything. I'd keep the air and fuel filters changed and roll on. There's nothing that it could mess up in the emissions system.

Buford Boone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Anyone know statistics on DPF regeneration? I've been watching mine to get an idea of what to expect. I drive to the gym and back (~2 miles each way), to the office and back (also ~ 2 miles each way) each day.
DPF filter was at 0% Monday morning. Friday at noon it was between 25 and 50%.
Had a 60 mile drive to do.
Got on the interstate and, just as I got up to speed, the display changed saying regeneration was occurring. Stayed that way for about 40 miles.
I wonder if I hit a prescribed percentage or if the system just recognized that I was driving at a speed that was good for a DPF regen.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So far sir mine works as it should. But I’m gun shy, I hate to even change an air filter as it could change something to mess it up.

As long as you used the OEM filter it was designed to work with it's fine. People only have issues when they get an aftermarket filter.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Anyone know statistics on DPF regeneration? I've been watching mine to get an idea of what to expect. I drive to the gym and back (~2 miles each way), to the office and back (also ~ 2 miles each way) each day.
DPF filter was at 0% Monday morning. Friday at noon it was between 25 and 50%.
Had a 60 mile drive to do.
Got on the interstate and, just as I got up to speed, the display changed saying regeneration was occurring. Stayed that way for about 40 miles.
I wonder if I hit a prescribed percentage or if the system just recognized that I was driving at a speed that was good for a DPF regen.

You aren't driving it enough to get it to temp and keep it there for a while. No diesel likes short trips, newer ones with a DPF will have serious issues if they're only run on short trips, which sounds like is MOST of your driving.

Mine has only passively regen'd about 4 times in the 4500 miles I've had it, and done a full regen once. But then, I drive about 30 miles one-way to work on a 55mph road, so it gets up to operating temp and stays there for a long period of time, so not a lot builds up in mine.

johnsaye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks. I hope the dealer will tune it back to factory if that is the case. I'm wondering if the shortage in filters is because many are having to be replaced.

I was aware that multiple short trips were not good for diesel but I make a trip of about 60 miles, mostly highway, once or twice a week. I'd figure that either the 60 miles down or 60 back would be sufficient to clean it out weekly.

Perhaps it is just a defective filter?

Would really like to hear something, other than "there is a delay in shipping, we appreciate your patience" from Ram.