2022 Laramie high country towing report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Several people have posted towing reports, so I thought I’d throw in my recent trip experience. My trailer is a 22 foot Rockwood with a listed weight of just under 5,000lbs. With our gear, two propane tanks, and my KTM 350 EXC hanging off the back, I’d say it weighs around 5700-5800lbs. My partner and I weigh about 300lbs together (most of it mine),plus our Chihuahua (14lbs), and we had about 400lbs of clothes and in gear in the cab and bed. We drove from our summer cabin in Munds Park, Arizona (just south of Flagstaff) to Ouray, Colorado, via Dolores and Lizard Head Pass, which is a little over 10,000 feet. My calculated average fuel consumption was 10.7 going and 11.2 on our return, cruising from 50 to 65mph depending on conditions. Most of the time I was running 55-60mph. Total trip length, including local excursions, was just under 1,000 miles.

My truck specs: 2022 Laramie 1500 4WD, 5.7 E-torque, 3.91 gears, 33 gallon fuel tank.

Earlier this summer we took a three-week, 4300 mile trip in our 2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel Rubicon, which I ordered new in 2021. It did the job, but wore me out in high cross winds, and trying to manage my speed to keep oil temps below frightening levels made it no fun. Overall, I towed the same trailer about 8,000 miles with it before throwing in the towel and moving to a regular half-ton pickup. A big factor was my partner’s three back surgeries in the last two years, which meant that our light-duty off-reading was over. I liked the Jeep ((it was our second, the first being a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon) but our needs had changed.

In comparison to the Jeep, the Laramie is a Cadillac. More, room, much more comfort, and incredibly quiet compared to the Gladiator.

Some notes on towing:

The Laramie does pretty well in crosswinds, but I found that it was more sensitive to the adjustment of my Anderson equalizing hitch than the Gladiator. It seemed to get into a roller-coaster effect on undulating roads that forced me to slow down excessively sometimes.

Power on hills was amazing. Just as good as the Jeep, and 10-15 degree cooler oil temps at 10-15mph higher speeds on hills. Even on some long 6 and 7 percent grades, I always had power in reserve. I was really impressed with the torque the engine had.

The towing package worked very well, and the brake controller was basically a set-it-and-forget-it affair. The downshifting thing it does acts like an exhaust brake. I’m going to research this some more, because I don’t really understand how it works, and sometimes it was unwanted. On the long stretch from Ridgway to Delores the truck didn’t seem to be really working right until I remembered to press the Towing Mode switch, after which it settled down a lot. The Gladiator did this automatically when you connected the hitch plug, according to Jeep.

Brakes were more than adequate. Really outstanding, especially compared to a 2000 Ford Super Duty 7.3L I owned (also probably the best truck and the best thing I’ve ever owned.)

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the truck. I need to study the owner’s manual some more, and also taLK to Anderson about their hitch. It needs very little pre-load compared to the Gladiator, and I’m not sure why. Even a little bit too much pre-load makes the Laramie a little squirrelly on downhills and flat road. It appears that the truck is sensitive to the caster change that raising the rear even a little causes.

Attachments

• IMG_9034.jpeg
    IMG_9034.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 14

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Several people have posted towing reports, so I thought I’d throw in my recent trip experience. My trailer is a 22 foot Rockwood with a listed weight of just under 5,000lbs. With our gear, two propane tanks, and my KTM 350 EXC hanging off the back, I’d say it weighs around 5700-5800lbs. My partner and I weigh about 300lbs together (most of it mine),plus our Chihuahua (14lbs), and we had about 400lbs of clothes and in gear in the cab and bed. We drove from our summer cabin in Munds Park, Arizona (just south of Flagstaff) to Ouray, Colorado, via Dolores and Lizard Head Pass, which is a little over 10,000 feet. My calculated average fuel consumption was 10.7 going and 11.2 on our return, cruising from 50 to 65mph depending on conditions. Most of the time I was running 55-60mph. Total trip length, including local excursions, was just under 1,000 miles.

My truck specs: 2022 Laramie 1500 4WD, 5.7 E-torque, 3.91 gears, 33 gallon fuel tank.

Earlier this summer we took a three-week, 4300 mile trip in our 2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel Rubicon, which I ordered new in 2021. It did the job, but wore me out in high cross winds, and trying to manage my speed to keep oil temps below frightening levels made it no fun. Overall, I towed the same trailer about 8,000 miles with it before throwing in the towel and moving to a regular half-ton pickup. A big factor was my partner’s three back surgeries in the last two years, which meant that our light-duty off-reading was over. I liked the Jeep ((it was our second, the first being a 2017 Unlimited Rubicon) but our needs had changed.

In comparison to the Jeep, the Laramie is a Cadillac. More, room, much more comfort, and incredibly quiet compared to the Gladiator.

Some notes on towing:

The Laramie does pretty well in crosswinds, but I found that it was more sensitive to the adjustment of my Anderson equalizing hitch than the Gladiator. It seemed to get into a roller-coaster effect on undulating roads that forced me to slow down excessively sometimes.

Power on hills was amazing. Just as good as the Jeep, and 10-15 degree cooler oil temps at 10-15mph higher speeds on hills. Even on some long 6 and 7 percent grades, I always had power in reserve. I was really impressed with the torque the engine had.

The towing package worked very well, and the brake controller was basically a set-it-and-forget-it affair. The downshifting thing it does acts like an exhaust brake. I’m going to research this some more, because I don’t really understand how it works, and sometimes it was unwanted. On the long stretch from Ridgway to Delores the truck didn’t seem to be really working right until I remembered to press the Towing Mode switch, after which it settled down a lot. The Gladiator did this automatically when you connected the hitch plug, according to Jeep.

Brakes were more than adequate. Really outstanding, especially compared to a 2000 Ford Super Duty 7.3L I owned (also probably the best truck and the best thing I’ve ever owned.)

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the truck. I need to study the owner’s manual some more, and also taLK to Anderson about their hitch. It needs very little pre-load compared to the Gladiator, and I’m not sure why. Even a little bit too much pre-load makes the Laramie a little squirrelly on downhills and flat road. It appears that the truck is sensitive to the caster change that raising the rear even a little causes.
Can you post a pic of how you have your Anderson set up?

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
It’s apart and stowed in its’ bag right now. I installed and adjusted it according to the instructions that came with it, which is basically the same way it was installed on my Gladiator. One difference is in the installed height of the hitch on the Laramie is much lower than the Gladiator, which required me to move the ball mount higher on the hitch by about 3 inches, if I recall correctly. On the Gladiator I would have six to seven threads showing on the adjusters. Anything over three and a half threads on the Laramie will make it a little wiggly. The Laramie exhibits very little ”squat“ when the trailer is attached, which surprised me. The Gladiator (which was a diesel Rubicon) appeared to sag more. I’m used to leaf springs on my trucks, so I really don’t know what to expect. My Super Duty had the camper towing package and would contact a second set of leaf springs when subjected to a heavy load. The Andersen (sorry, just realized I was mis-spelling it - my dealer in Lake Havasu is Anderson) felt like it worked better on the Gladiator. Not sure why. The hitch that came with the trailer when I bought it was a Husky, which worked okay, but was noisy and weighed too much. I’ve used several types of equalizing hitches over the years with no problems.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Owning both a Gladiator, and previously 2 1500's, I can say the Gladiator has stiffer springs than the 1500. I don't know why, but it doesn't porpoise like either of my 1500's did.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also use an Andersen. Are your front wheel arches at the same height while hooked and unhooked? You'll need to adjust tension on the Andersen until the weight is returned to the steer axle.

Best to take it to CAT scales and get it weighed.

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I agree with you. The problem I am having is that the hitch requires almost no preload to level the rig. When I return to our winter home I am going to hook everything up and take some measurements on the slab beside my RV garage. It is level and has a full hookup. However, with minimum pre-load the truck tows well enough. I thought I would weigh the truck and trailer and take measurements before contacting Andersen. Due to the weight of the trailer, I am sure I am well within the tongue weight specs for my truck. Also, I usually run only one of my propane tanks full, and my coach battery is a 100Ah lithium unit that weighs less than one group 27 battery. My dirt bike weighs around 290lbs including the rack, and that takes some tongue weight off too. I really liked the Andersen on my Gladiator. Much more user-friendly than the Husky the trailer came with. However, when I torqued the Andersen to the recommended 75 ft/lbs the brackets started to “squish” the frame rails on my trailer. The Husky brackets didn’t do that. Torquing them to the factory-preferred 90 ft/lbs would have made the situation worse.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Having towed similar trailers, I believe you may be light on tongue weight due to the motorcycle.

I always make a point to measure the actual tongue weight on any combination I tow very much, I bought a tongue weight scale. But you can do the same at the CAT scales with a dual weigh (WD disengaged).

OP
OP
A

azaustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
It is my intention to buy a tongue weight scale. I meant to buy one when I bought the Gladiator but it worked well enough that I put it off. They are not that expensive and it is always good to know exactly what you have, and are dealing with. The Laramie is good enough as it is, but I prefer to have things “dialed in” as best I can. Fewer surprises that way. If necessary, I can travel with both propane tanks full, and perhaps, even another lithium battery, although they are rather pricey. Also, I should probably weigh the receiver hitch on my trailer, just for fun. I built it myself, and didn’t think of weighing it, but I should have. Years of doing weight and balance calculations on small aircraft should have taught me better.

Bike_Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like a fun trip! I'm also in Colorado and have a Ram to support the dirt bike habit. I went with a 3500 HO which is overkill for the bikes but gives flexibility to haul the skid loader or a bigger camper as needed.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If your rig truly weighs in at just under 6k, and you've got that motorcycle hanging off the back, you likely don't have NEARLY enough tongue weight to even warrant using the WDH - you might be under the 10-12% 'rule' already before you even make adjustments. If you can store some of your gear/clothing in the nose of the trailer it will probably help you out quite a bit. Clothes are a LOT heavier packed up than they seem.

Does your Laramie have the 'air assist' in the rear suspension from the factory? If it does I believe you have to set everything up with that OFF to get everything adjusted properly, but I don't use an Anderson (more money than it's worth to me, I have never seen the need for a high-dollar unit when my $300 Curt WDH + $50 Curt sway control bar gets me pulling 65+mph) nor do I have a vehicle with the air assist.

Otherwise, glad to hear your truck is doing well! I would expect no less from it.

rambilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a small trailer with my Ram and after dialing the WDH correctly it tows safely and smoothly for me, so much better than my 2022 Jeep Gladiator. The Ram has plenty of power, tackles the incline so much better than the Gladiator. With the Gladiator the engine sounded like the engine is going to explode when climbing lol. It's a trial and error setting the WDH with Ram But after I got it set up it tows beautifully. I love the way this Ram rides. It don't feel like you are in a truck. It's so relaxing, I can actually enjoy listening to my music while I'm driving because it's so quiet and smooth. The Jeep Gladiator on the other hand, it's loud (wind noise), it's bouncy and you are busy correcting your steer. It's typical jeep ride. It's exhausting. But my wife loves the Jeep so we kept it and got rid of the 2022 4runner for the Ram.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a small trailer with my Ram and after dialing the WDH correctly it tows safely and smoothly for me, so much better than my 2022 Jeep Gladiator. The Ram has plenty of power, tackles the incline so much better than the Gladiator. With the Gladiator the engine sounded like the engine is going to explode when climbing lol. It's a trial and error setting the WDH with Ram But after I got it set up it tows beautifully. I love the way this Ram rides. It don't feel like you are in a truck. It's so relaxing, I can actually enjoy listening to my music while I'm driving because it's so quiet and smooth. The Jeep Gladiator on the other hand, it's loud (wind noise), it's bouncy and you are busy correcting your steer. It's typical jeep ride. It's exhausting. But my wife loves the Jeep so we kept it and got rid of the 2022 4runner for the Ram.
My wife loves Jeep's as well. Her daily for 10 years was a heavily modified 2dr Rubicon. We still have it, but she wanted something new and wanted another Jeep. I needed a second tow vehicle for the bass boat, so we settled on a Gladiator. She likes it, but I can't stand driving it. The dang 2dr lifted on long arms and 35's drive better than the stock Gladiator. LOL I will say it tows the bass boat with ease. I wouldn't tow anything bigger than that though. And it has the max tow with 4.10's, wider axles and bigger brakes. I'm trying to convince her to trade it for an SUV. We never use it as a truck, and I'd rather have a nicer ride with more power. But she's a doors off, top down lover. What ya gonna do.

rambilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife loves Jeep's as well. Her daily for 10 years was a heavily modified 2dr Rubicon. We still have it, but she wanted something new and wanted another Jeep. I needed a second tow vehicle for the bass boat, so we settled on a Gladiator. She likes it, but I can't stand driving it. The dang 2dr lifted on long arms and 35's drive better than the stock Gladiator. LOL I will say it tows the bass boat with ease. I wouldn't tow anything bigger than that though. And it has the max tow with 4.10's, wider axles and bigger brakes. I'm trying to convince her to trade it for an SUV. We never use it as a truck, and I'd rather have a nicer ride with more power. But she's a doors off, top down lover. What ya gonna do.
The Gladiator can surely tow but without a lot of effort especially the High Altitude with 3.73 gearing. I should have gotten a Rubicon or a ***** with 4.10s. But just like you said what you gonna do wife loves them. HAHAHAHA

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
14lb chihuahua.... what are you feeding that thing?
They're not all tiny. Wife and I had one years ago, he was about 12 lbs but was the size of a MinPin (long legs and a long body). His brother from the same litter was 8 lbs full grown.