2022 Ram 2500 Diesel fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Folks, I searched fuel economy and found some decent discussions, but not exactly what I am looking for. I have a 2022 Ram 2500 Diesel and it had been getting 18-20 Mpg on my dual in town and on highway driving. I then took the vehicle on a slow ride up a considerably steep mountain trail which took maybe 40 minutes (up hill). Now I cannot get my gas mileage back up, its now 2 weeks later after the hill trail trip. Now, I seem to maintain about 17.1 to 17.7 mpg and haven't gotten back to 18-19 mpg. Maybe it's just that I hadn't paid good attention before, but it seems like something's a little off regarding my average MPG. So I have two questions, could something be draining on my MPG that I cannot easily see? And, what can I do to help it get better MPG? Truck has about 24k miles and no modifications. Thanks

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What BossHogg said. And I only see 18-20 when steady highway cruising, with both my 18 and 22 CTD's. Mixed driving will likely be lower than that.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Agree with the above statements as well. Also you need to hand calculate to really get an accurate estimate of mpg (it will be worse then what the dash is saying so maybe you don't want to know Lol).

Honestly these late model trucks are so fine tuned there really is no magic pill for better mpg. Keeping your speed down on the highway and your right foot out of the pedal is the best way to get the max mpg. You could throw a ton of money and modifications but the gains would be minimal.

OP
OP
vjjack04

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks Guys. All thoughtful responses. I appreciate it. Yeah, my normal driving is not up and down the mountains behind my house. The road we took up (in SW desert area) goes from abut 4200 ft to over 8000 ft and and it winds beside the mountain. It probably takes 40 minutes to drive then there was a lot of idlng. It just seems funny how much slight changes can effect fuel mileage on these things. I am south (way south) of PHX and driving there (to PHX) I get around 20+ mpg (its alot down GRADE) but coming back it will drop to around 18.5 (back up grades). Anyway, was hoping there was a air intake, filter, or something lke that made some significant difference, but I guess not. I'm sure through regular driving the MPG will normalize.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Idling is the major problem with fuel mileage. I just completed a 2000 mile trip to Taos,NM and we took the high road in and out. My average on the EVIC shows 10.5 but I didn’t put a pencil to it. We were towing a 7k TT and several times I had to bump the brakes on the down hills but the E brake worked great and did most of the work.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks Guys. All thoughtful responses. I appreciate it. Yeah, my normal driving is not up and down the mountains behind my house. The road we took up (in SW desert area) goes from abut 4200 ft to over 8000 ft and and it winds beside the mountain. It probably takes 40 minutes to drive then there was a lot of idlng. It just seems funny how much slight changes can effect fuel mileage on these things. I am south (way south) of PHX and driving there (to PHX) I get around 20+ mpg (its alot down GRADE) but coming back it will drop to around 18.5 (back up grades). Anyway, was hoping there was a air intake, filter, or something lke that made some significant difference, but I guess not. I'm sure through regular driving the MPG will normalize.
The factory air intake is more then adequate for your engine as it's a cold air intake just not a fancy colored CAI would not improve MPG ( though to some they look pretty) & they make your wallet lighter, best bet is to control right foot & speed, if you in an area that has low quality fuel you could use try a Cetane additive like Opti Lube Summer or Opti Lube Boost: https://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-additives/

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Don't waste your $$$ on any fuel additives. They are unnecessary and help nothing.
How would anybody know if they have low quality diesel at the fuel station? I have NEVER seen a diesel pump that lists the cetane rating.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't waste your $$$ on any fuel additives. They are unnecessary and help nothing.
How would anybody know if they have low quality diesel at the fuel station? I have NEVER seen a diesel pump that lists the cetane rating.
Not sure if they still do as I no longer travel, but I have seen Cetane listed on fuel pumps in Montana, WY, IA & MN

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you use the truck regularly, I'd agree. But if the truck sits weeks between use, and anti-algae additive like Howe's can be a good idea. We had algae issues with our diesel pusher, which can sit months without use in the winter. My Ram can sit for 2-3 weeks at a time too, so I use an additive when I know I won't likely be using it for a while.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not sure if they still do as I no longer travel, but I have seen Cetane listed on fuel pumps in Montana, WY, IA & MN
How many years ago was that? As recently as last May I was in AZ and last summer we were in NV, ID. OR and CA. NONE of them had a cetane rating posted on the pump.

While 40 is the minimum rating for diesel fuel sold in the United States, 45 is the de-facto floor for the majority of diesel engines to run well.
Since diesel cetane value is not published at the pump, most diesel owners simply know they need to pull the green-handled ULSD pump and fill up the tank.Mar 21, 2018

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How many years ago was that? As recently as last May I was in AZ and last summer we were in NV, ID. OR and CA. NONE of them had a cetane rating posted on the pump.

While 40 is the minimum rating for diesel fuel sold in the United States, 45 is the de-facto floor for the majority of diesel engines to run well.
Since diesel cetane value is not published at the pump, most diesel owners simply know they need to pull the green-handled ULSD pump and fill up the tank.Mar 21, 2018
Its been just over 4 years now since I bought diesel fuel in the 3 states and saw Cetane listed on a pump... My self knowing people who have worked at tanks farms & Flint Hills Resources, Magellan & Colonial pipeline leaned how both gas & diesel fuel easily get contaminated once it leaves the refinery, its why I no longer trust diesel fuel to be of high quality and have doubt most of it meets minimum 40 Cetane at the pump without Cetane additives...

OP
OP
vjjack04

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You know, I guess it was just the slow speeds up the hill and idling. Normal driving I am back to around 19 mpg, most of the time.

Lukeott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Agree with the above statements as well. Also you need to hand calculate to really get an accurate estimate of mpg (it will be worse then what the dash is saying so maybe you don't want to know Lol).

Honestly these late model trucks are so fine tuned there really is no magic pill for better mpg. Keeping your speed down on the highway and your right foot out of the pedal is the best way to get the max mpg. You could throw a ton of money and modifications but the gains would be minimal.

I don’t know about anyone else but if I’m driving on the highway 67 mph I seem to get between 24 to 28 mph. That’s with my 2018 6.7 diesel.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don’t know about anyone else but if I’m driving on the highway 67 mph I seem to get between 24 to 28 mph. That’s with my 2018 6.7 diesel.
My best lie o meter MPG was 21.3 on mostly flat land with my new 6.7L and I was drafting like heck to get that number, but hand calculated number was not what the lie o meter said...