RAM 2500 Diesel lifter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So, I have a 2022 Ram 2500 diesel and it runs fine and I've noticed no problems. until recently. I have valve train lifter noise on par with my previous 5.7 liter gasoline engined truck. Do these Cummins diesel have, inherently, valve train noise and maybe I just didn't notice it until now? Oil is 15-40 Rotella. Thanks.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Straight from the bulletin they put out..

"CAUTION! 15W-40 grade oil CAN NOT be used in any 2019 model year or newer 6.7Lequipped vehicles due to the new designed valve train of this engine. If this oil isused, it will cause deposits to form in the Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters leadingto undesirable noise, and/or engine damage"

OP
OP
vjjack04

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Interesting. I did not see any bulletin. I didn't realize the oil change would be so dramatic. I had previously run 5W-40 until last month when I changed the oil and filter about 3 weeks ago. I will change it back to 5-40 and see what happens.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I did not see any bulletin.
There wouldn't have been a bulletin as the 5W40 or 10W30 oil was specified with the redesign of the 6.7 starting with the '19 model year.
The Cummins engines '18 and prior years used a solid lifter which recommended the valve lash to be checked every 150K miles, the '19 and newer use an automatic hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There wouldn't have been a bulletin as the 5W40 or 10W30 oil was specified with the redesign of the 6.7 starting with the '19 model year.
The Cummins engines '18 and prior years used a solid lifter which recommended the valve lash to be checked every 150K miles, the '19 and newer use an automatic hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

There actually was a bulletin published to remind people since they can't seem to follow their manual.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There actually was a bulletin published to remind people since they can't seem to follow their manual.
I stand corrected, but I'm guessing people have been running 15W40 in Cummins for so long I'd imagine some buy the stuff by 55 gallon drum.

OP
OP
vjjack04

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Folks, I appreciate the responses (except mtnrider, huhuh); The manual does indicate the two different viscosities for different climates, and the bulletin indicates one can run 5W-40 all of the time if desired. Often in vehicles one can deviate some from the recommended oil SAE rating (not API) based on environment and conditions. Its curious that 15W-40 would cause a problem especially in an environment like where I am (SW desert). On most days it would seem the oil is thicker based on the ambient temperature at start up (not being close to 5 or even 15 probably more like 30). Seems that's little difference especially then since the engine gets hot pretty fast and at operating range the viscosity index improving agent makes it all pretty much equal out. I'd be interested to know more details as to why this small variation was determined to be the problem.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Folks, I appreciate the responses (except mtnrider, huhuh); The manual does indicate the two different viscosities for different climates, and the bulletin indicates one can run 5W-40 all of the time if desired. Often in vehicles one can deviate some from the recommended oil SAE rating (not API) based on environment and conditions. Its curious that 15W-40 would cause a problem especially in an environment like where I am (SW desert). On most days it would seem the oil is thicker based on the ambient temperature at start up (not being close to 5 or even 15 probably more like 30). Seems that's little difference especially then since the engine gets hot pretty fast and at operating range the viscosity index improving agent makes it all pretty much equal out. I'd be interested to know more details as to why this small variation was determined to be the problem.

Yeah, it doesn't "seem" like there would be much difference but I have seen a couple case's on the diesel forums of 19+ engines that failed because 15w-40 was used, and obviously it's enough of a problem Ram posted a bulletin on it.
I sure wouldn't want to pay for that repair out of pocket (some had to).

OP
OP
vjjack04

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yep. I picked up a new filter and 5W-40 yesterday. So, the oil will be changed this morning. We'll see.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm sure the issue is pumping the lifters up on cold starts. Even in hot climates the oil is nowhere near operating temp for quite a while after startup.

I really dislike the changes made to the engine in 2019. The old engine was bomb proof. Sure, noisier and clackier than the competitors but better in every way that mattered.

Truckmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I have a 2022 Ram 2500 diesel and it runs fine and I've noticed no problems. until recently. I have valve train lifter noise on par with my previous 5.7 liter gasoline engined truck. Do these Cummins diesel have, inherently, valve train noise and maybe I just didn't notice it until now? Oil is 15-40 Rotella. Thanks.
Hello, you should be using Valvoline premium blue full synthetic 5w40
Valvoline oil is made for the Cummins engine as well as Fleetguard filters for
Your Engine the part number is
LF16035. I use nothing but Cummins filters. Also hope that you are considering doing a grid heater delete before you have problems.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hello, you should be using Valvoline premium blue full synthetic 5w40
Valvoline oil is made for the Cummins engine as well as Fleetguard filters for
Your Engine the part number is
LF16035. I use nothing but Cummins filters. Also hope that you are considering doing a grid heater delete before you have problems.
ANY oil that meets spec will do the job. Valvoline is not made for the Cummins but it is one that is approved by Cummins because it meets spec.
Also the infamous "grid heater problem" is a non factor. It has been greatly exaugurated and overblown.
The chances of the OP or myself or anybody else having that issue is miniscule. No need to worry about it.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ANY oil that meets spec will do the job. Valvoline is not made for the Cummins but it is one that is approved by Cummins because it meets spec.
Also the infamous "grid heater problem" is a non factor. It has been greatly exaugurated and overblown.
The chances of the OP or myself or anybody else having that issue is miniscule. No need to worry about it.
Endorsed by Cummins, i.e., Valvoline pays for the endorsement. Any oil meeting the Cummins approval, is approved by Cummins.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Same can be said about the CP4 HPFP failure, but people make it sound like the meer mention of the pump will cause it to grenade.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suspect the recommendation against 15W-40 is based on the fact that most 15W-40 oils are conventional, or semi-sync with a high dose of SAPS. Those could cause unwanted deposits and eventually lifter failure. The difference in Winter Rating means little unless you start the truck at -30F. Moreover, Winter Rating is not related to deposits formation.

I highly doubt you will get much deposits if you run an ester rich synthetic 15W-40 such as Redline, or HPL. Or a similar oil formulated with low SAPS.