23 2500 6.4 hemi tick? Dealer says they can’t hear it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Are you under warranty?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2023 15k miles so yes. Been to two dealers. 3 times total, per dealers no issues.

After using the redline it honestly feels like a completely different motor. You can’t feel the vibration in 4 cylinder mode, which is awesome. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
2023 15k miles so yes. Been to two dealers. 3 times total, per dealers no issues.

After using the redline it honestly feels like a completely different motor. You can’t feel the vibration in 4 cylinder mode, which is awesome. Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Yeah, it's official name here is hemi honey but if you want to call it redline go ahead. Stuff is amazing.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m shocked that the eco mode 4 cylinder noise and vibration and thud is gone. I was struggling with accepting that as a feature of a work truck. I’ll spread the word on the hemi honey, my fleet mechanic says the findings are interesting. I stocked up on those RP 20-820’s also.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Listening to the sound on the videos, it just sounded like you had a noisy engine, rather than the dreaded "Hemi tick". I ought to know, having faced it 3 times myself. For a moment, I thought that it might be an exhaust leak from where and could be the header bolt issue, which isn't serious. Might want to check that next time with the dealer.
Glad Redline seems to have sorted it out. It is the recommended oil on here for engines that are having issues. I don't know what oil you were using before, but if you have the option of using Redline, I'd say that you should go with that. There are those who think that using a cheap oil from NAPA, Walmart, etc., would be just sufficient for the Ram engine and there are thousands who have no issues whatsoever, however from what I've experienced, use a good oil that has a good add-pack.
The notable recommendations are:
Redline 5w30
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0w40
Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 5w30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (the is the standard factory fill for the SRT Hellcats)
Amsoil Signature Series 5w30

I will say that ticking issues are isolated to the Hemis. Chevrolet also has issues lifter issues with their engines and their cylinder deactivation system isn't as good or smooth compared to Ram's MDS. Its so problematic that most Chevy owners end up having to disable it.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
So your good with non spec oil and filter and possible voiding your engine warranty?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So your good with non spec oil and filter and possible voiding your engine warranty?

My truck had a noisy valve train too which I fixed by changing to a different oil (in my case that has been Redline, Mobil 1 0w-40, and now HPL). I don't see why there is such push back against this idea.

You have 2 choices: run dealer oil which sounds like crap and makes you worry something is being damaged, just so they'll fix it in the off chance that it blows before your warranty runs out: or, you take a chance with better oil and run that in your warranty period knowing that it sounds better, probably less (or no) damage, and reduce your chance that your engine dies before its time when your warranty is up.

To me it appears most engines fail outside of warranty. I'd rather protect my engine so that I don't need the warranty in the first place.

It paid off for me, as my warranty has expired and now I know that I was giving it every chance at living a long life, right from the first 15,000 miles of engine life which was about when I switched IIRC.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck had a noisy valve train too which I fixed by changing to a different oil (in my case that has been Redline, Mobil 1 0w-40, and now HPL). I don't see why there is such push back against this idea.

You have 2 choices: run dealer oil which sounds like crap and makes you worry something is being damaged, just so they'll fix it in the off chance that it blows before your warranty runs out: or, you take a chance with better oil and run that in your warranty period knowing that it sounds better, probably less (or no) damage, and reduce your chance that your engine dies before its time when your warranty is up.

To me it appears most engines fail outside of warranty. I'd rather protect my engine so that I don't need the warranty in the first place.

It paid off for me, as my warranty has expired and now I know that I was giving it every chance at living a long life, right from the first 15,000 miles of engine life which was about when I switched IIRC.
I totally agree. How many times do we see on here where someone has an issue and the dealer plays games trying to not cover it through warranty?!?! Or, taking 2 or 3 months for a dealer to look at it, then a couple more months to try and fix it and it doesn't get fixed...no thanks. I'm gonna run the best oil there is. I don't care what the manufacturer says is the best when it clearly isn't. My 6.4 says to change oil at 8000 miles. When I did Blackstone oil analysis, the PUP 0w-40 had sheared down like crazy between 4 and 5k...but I should go to 8k on that oil...no way. If I would follow what ram says to do for oil, I'm sure my hemi would be dead at about 70k miles...10k after warranty is up!!! Hard pass for me!!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what other choice do I have? Dealers are playing games.
Right? Your choice is run and oil that makes your truck tick or one that makes it butter smooth and still is recommended for chrysler replacement. Not much of a choice. I'm not sure how any manu could prove your oil choice caused an issue especially considering it is a high performance oil. It cost them more to fight cases then pay them, so my advice never take the manu's word for it when they say they wont fix your stuff for x.y.z reasoning.

I had a Chevy dealer refuse to fix a suspension piece that clicked eventhough it was new. I found a lawyer that takes 25% only if he wins, there was some small fees I had to front, file fees and paper work fees, it was very nominal less then 100 bucks. I won 13k and had to give lawyer 3k, settled on courtroom steps. What manu's fear the most of being sued, file a case watch them fold like a cheap suit. I was standing so proud for like a year off that. When someone wants you to eat a isht sandwich, say no thanks I'm on a diet, then give them hell. It's how humans are supposed to be instead of whiney lil tools afraid to use the best oil because "they" told me to. lol The quickest way for me to try something different, tell me what I "have" to do.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah that’s my course right now. 4 dealer visits, 2 different dealers. Dealer suits won’t go anywhere but the manufacturer one will. And even if it doesn’t, it’s natural for them all to scramble to attention for you. It’s called the Marshall just served you effect. And since there’s no such thing as dealer loyalty now, it really doesn’t matter. I bought 12 fords from a dealer over the past 6 years. They act like it’s nothing these days. Hence the reason we are switching the fleet to mixed brand based off lowest price from each brand at the time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I bought a bunch of vehicles from the dealer I ended up sueing, they were a didge/chevy dealership next to each other, a Cummins, my current ram, jeep, Malibu, and the cheby 1500 that I sued them on. To be honest those are the vehicles I can remember buying from them, my guess is there was more. But yeah after buying several vehicles they pulled the ol we aint gonna fix that thing. So I don't know who paid for real because it was a failure of factory warranty how I got paid, so maybe it was GM or dealer or combo, cant remember, but yeah loyalty means squat in some places. Neither dodge nor chevy is making anything I have any interest in anymore, so I wont be back to those scrubs for all the tea in China, but hey thanks for the 13k fools. I'm not buying a di, I don't care how far they have come, nope ain't interested. So for me it will be used in the future of some ricer that utilizes low HP strategy. I'm ass grabbing 60 years old, my glory days are far behind me, now I care about an entire different set of wants.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You'd have to be pretty stupid if the engine blew up with the wrong filter and oil,and you sent it to the dealer with that filter on it,and that oil still in the pan. Takes all of 20 minutes to drain the oil and change the filter,before the dealer gets it. And don't give me any BS about morals,the dealer/manufacture threw that idea out the window years ago

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2023 15k miles so yes. Been to two dealers. 3 times total, per dealers no issues
Sound allot better, now i would put some LubeGard Biotech addative
After using the redline it honestly feels like a completely different motor. You can’t feel the vibration in 4 cylinder mode, which is awesome. Thanks for the info gentlemen
Hearing that final video sounds allot better, it can't hurt to pour some LubeGard biotech 15oz bottle, to up your Moly content that forms platelets for the oil to cling to internal engine components, you're on the right path.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Save the used factory oil and filter you took off. Put back in if you have a problem. Don’t put brand new oil in a failed motor and then take it to the dealer for repair.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Save the used factory oil and filter you took off. Put back in if you have a problem. Don’t put brand new oil in a failed motor and then take it to the dealer for repair.
I've never had any issues with new oil in the pooched motor,never even been asked about the oil on the 4 engines i've had replaced over the years on a warrenty claim,but in case i was asked about the new oil,my explanation would have been i changed oil hoping it would fix it. The idea of keeping the old oil and filter isn't a bad idea though.

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
not bad at all

Yeah, I bought a bunch of vehicles from the dealer I ended up sueing, they were a didge/chevy dealership next to each other, a Cummins, my current ram, jeep, Malibu, and the cheby 1500 that I sued them on. To be honest those are the vehicles I can remember buying from them, my guess is there was more. But yeah after buying several vehicles they pulled the ol we aint gonna fix that thing. So I don't know who paid for real because it was a failure of factory warranty how I got paid, so maybe it was GM or dealer or combo, cant remember, but yeah loyalty means squat in some places. Neither dodge nor chevy is making anything I have any interest in anymore, so I wont be back to those scrubs for all the tea in China, but hey thanks for the 13k fools. I'm not buying a di, I don't care how far they have come, nope ain't interested. So for me it will be used in the future of some ricer that utilizes low HP strategy. I'm ass grabbing 60 years old, my glory days are far behind me, now I care about an entire different set of wants.

Spoke too soon, put about 110 miles on it yesterday, hooked my bass boat up this morning (4300lbs) and she’s clacking louder than ever. This is insane.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Spoke too soon, put about 110 miles on it yesterday, hooked my bass boat up this morning (4300lbs) and she’s clacking louder than ever. This is insane.
sorry to hear it, but at least you now know this is internal. Also, give it time in most cases it takes time for the extreme pressure additives to plate, mine took 500 miles hemi395 took like 1700 miles, but then both trucks went silent. A lot of it has to do with what is clanking, if it is perpendicular force then EP additives are gonna plate. Plus, another feature of redline is it is sometimes known for this, as it can hype clean something when new, again give it time report back.

Does driving in tow haul change any of the characteristics? You said you have this noise even on deceleration?

OP
OP
J

Jamesg0418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Will do, it’s going to be a high mileage week, so maybe by next weekend I see where we are at. Currently not towing, it’s at its loudest on deceleration, maybe while the oil pressure is dropping. Towing, it’s just loud all the time.