2500 interior vs 1500 interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
A few of you may be familiar with my post about towing and my disappointment that my 2020 1500 Longhorn felt inadequate while picking up my new trailer a few weeks ago. It turned out to be quite a long thread and I had a lot of very helpful suggestions along with an entertaining in-depth gearing discussion. I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going to move up to a 3/4 ton gas engine truck. I know that in order to get what I want as well as avoiding the extra premium fees dealers are charging on in stock trucks, I’m going to have to order one. I also know that it’s going to take a while so we’re acclimated to the fact that we won’t be headed to any mountainous areas while we still have the 1500. I’m still comparing the Ram 2500 6.4 to the F250 7.3. GM/Chevy is out. My question is about the 2500 interior. I have read that the interior is still a Gen 4 layout. I’m not sure what that means since I don’t recall seeing one. If I could find a new 2500 in stock on a lot that wasn’t a stripped down cab and chassis I wouldn’t have to post this question here. I’ve built a number of them online and looked at the photos but it’s not the same as looking at the real thing or hearing from current owners firsthand. BTW, I absolutely love my Longhorn interior. So without turning it into a “you should get a diesel for towing thread,” is there much of a difference between the 1500 Ram interior and the 2500 Ram interior?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few of you may be familiar with my post about towing and my disappointment that my 2020 1500 Longhorn felt inadequate while picking up my new trailer a few weeks ago. It turned out to be quite a long thread and I had a lot of very helpful suggestions along with an entertaining in-depth gearing discussion. I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going to move up to a 3/4 ton gas engine truck. I know that in order to get what I want as well as avoiding the extra premium fees dealers are charging on in stock trucks, I’m going to have to order one. I also know that it’s going to take a while so we’re acclimated to the fact that we won’t be headed to any mountainous areas while we still have the 1500. I’m still comparing the Ram 2500 6.4 to the F250 7.3. GM/Chevy is out. My question is about the 2500 interior. I have read that the interior is still a Gen 4 layout. I’m not sure what that means since I don’t recall seeing one. If I could find a new 2500 in stock on a lot that wasn’t a stripped down cab and chassis I wouldn’t have to post this question here. I’ve built a number of them online and looked at the photos but it’s not the same as looking at the real thing or hearing from current owners firsthand. BTW, I absolutely love my Longhorn interior. So without turning it into a “you should get a diesel for towing thread,” is there much of a difference between the 1500 Ram interior and the 2500 Ram interior?

The heavy duties still use the 4th generation cab, otherwise the interior is from the 5th gen. So with the 4th gen cab you lose the 4" of extra room (which is all in the rear seat area) and can't get a pano sunroof. Maybe some other things along those lines that directly correspond to the cab itself, but otherwise the screens/console etc is all 5th gen stuff.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My 2021 PW interior is just as nice as my 2019 1500 Laramie except in 3 areas-
1. As was mentioned above the back seat legroom is about 4" shorter (but still ample and, as this allows for a 6.5' box I like it better anyway.)
2. Rear floor still has a hump in it that the 1500s have eliminated. Again no biggie.
3. The rear seats do not recline like my Laramie's but since I'm always in the driver's seat that's no big deal either.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another thing that has been said here before is while in the passenger seat, the hump for the transmission kinda gets in the way of where your feet go. So you have to move your feet right under the seat, or towards the door if you are stretching out...which is a bit uncomfortable. Doesn't bother me since I am never there unless I let my 14 year old drive, and my wife has never complained about it, but it is there.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a ‘19 5th gen 1500 and now have a
‘21 2500. Interior, dash, layout and function are the same for both. The guy in the RV lot next to me has a 7.3 Ferd and likes it but I’ll stick to my 6.4.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Also on 2500..

- Pedals aren’t adjustable

- Steering wheel doesn’t telescope
Hmm. Pedals aren’t a deal killer however a non-telescoping steering wheel could be! I like to have a complete comfortable position while driving. Thank you for sharing that.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I do believe that the F-250 has power tilt telescopic steering wheel.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have looked at a cpl. f-250 7.3 lariats online..cost a little more than a ram when comparing the exact same features of 2500 laramie and they are even more scarce around here. the largest dealers around here seem to only get one or two and then add an upcharge. one that I saw on the ford locator site was 18,000$ more on the dealer's site after they had added a lift and some other crap that I wouldnt want..call me crazy but I wont be paying 81-83,000$ for a gas f-250.

IvoryHemi

Reaction score
Pedals are adjustable...at least on my 2019 they are. Maybe that changed later for some reason?!?!

I assumed the switch location would be in the same place when I drove the 2500. I see now it’s different!

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I moved to a 2021 2500 from a 2019 1500 limited and noticed little difference in my cab look and feel. The differences are noted above. And I found the telescoping steering wheel was not a big deal, since the drivers seat moved back and forward automatically when the truck turns off and on. So you can set your seat so your comfortable with the steering wheel and never think about it again, because there is lots of room getting in and out.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yes it does tilt.
FWIW- I didn't even realize it didn't telescope in /out till I read it on here...
But I never even knew my 1500's did that so no loss to me....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If this truck is going to be a daily driver for you, it might be a good idea to test drive a few 2500s in comparison to how it rides to your 1500. The creature comforts in the cab might similar but the ride is not, especially running unloaded.
It might be worth re-evaluating depending on how much the trailer will be behind the truck. Having your 1500 regeared might be cheaper than the loss on the truck.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
It is going to be my daily driver. That’s a good suggestion. I don’t mind a little stiffer ride however if it’s ridiculously rough I might consider alternatives.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do test drive a 3/4 check the tire pressure. Not sure what the new ones come with from the dealership but my 16 3/4 had 80 front and rear. Unloaded you felt every imperfection in the road. Dropping down to 50 psi front and rear made a huge difference in ride quality.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my son traded his 1500 laramie for a 2500 dsl because he bought a 5th wheel. he hates the way the 2500 rides. it tows great tho. I tell him it'll loosen up after a while..maybe keep some weight in the back when not towing. he was like me, I prefer to take my truck when traveling over the wife's infiniti because of the extra room and comfort. he was the same way but now plans to only use the new 2500 for towing so recently bought the wife one of the new 3 row Grand Cherokees with the 5.7 to travel in. when I trade up to a 2500, I will go gas. they seem to ride better that the dsl version.