2500 interior vs 1500 interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
If you do test drive a 3/4 check the tire pressure. Not sure what the new ones come with from the dealership but my 16 3/4 had 80 front and rear. Unloaded you felt every imperfection in the road. Dropping down to 50 psi front and rear made a huge difference in ride quality.
My 2018 RAM 3500, and my previous 2016 RAM 2500, both called for 65 PSI front and 80 PSI Rear!

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
Thanks for all of the replies. I took a drive in a 2500 today. I didn’t think it was too bad as far as the ride being that much more harsh than my 1500. As a matter of fact I liked the ride so much I ordered a 2500 Longhorn today. Lots of good towing goodies on it like the power tilt heated mirrors and the rear air suspension. And the 2500 Longhorn interior doesn’t seem like it will be too much different than my 1500 Longhorn interior. One thing that threw me though was the old time antiquated parking brake pedal. I haven’t had a vehicle with one of those in a while. My recent vehicles have all had electronic parking brakes that operated with a little switch. Maybe because the truck is heavy duty they want a heavier mechanism?
Anyway, I’ll be waiting impatiently for the new Ram. List price but certainly nothing like the trucks most dealers have on the lots in which they are charging $8-$10K over list. None of the dealers will trade anymore with if another dealers does a locate. They all want premium fees for their stock. It’s crazy. Thanks again for all of the helpful responses.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all of the replies. I took a drive in a 2500 today. I didn’t think it was too bad as far as the ride being that much more harsh than my 1500. As a matter of fact I liked the ride so much I ordered a 2500 Longhorn today. Lots of good towing goodies on it like the power tilt heated mirrors and the rear air suspension. And the 2500 Longhorn interior doesn’t seem like it will be too much different than my 1500 Longhorn interior. One thing that threw me though was the old time antiquated parking brake pedal. I haven’t had a vehicle with one of those in a while. My recent vehicles have all had electronic parking brakes that operated with a little switch. Maybe because the truck is heavy duty they want a heavier mechanism?
Anyway, I’ll be waiting impatiently for the new Ram. List price but certainly nothing like the trucks most dealers have on the lots in which they are charging $8-$10K over list. None of the dealers will trade anymore with if another dealers does a locate. They all want premium fees for their stock. It’s crazy. Thanks again for all of the helpful responses.

Congratulations, can't wait to see it!

Parking brake may be one of the carry over things from the 4th gen. All 3 of my 4th gens had the old style parking brake and I kind of wish they stayed with that. Only reason I say that is because I've lost brakes on a fair amount of the vehicles I have owned (not in a long time, more in my younger days) but I've had to get one or two stopped by gearing down and slowly applying the parking brake. Including one time with my 66 Buick that I still own, in a pretty bad situation going down a hill called "twist run" road. That could have been bad if I hadn't been able to get it stopped.

Admittedly I haven't tried an electronic parking brake in a scenario like that but I can't imagine it would work well, or that you'd have nearly as much control if you had to use it like that.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you do test drive a 3/4 check the tire pressure. Not sure what the new ones come with from the dealership but my 16 3/4 had 80 front and rear. Unloaded you felt every imperfection in the road. Dropping down to 50 psi front and rear made a huge difference in ride quality.
This is the biggest complaint my son has on his Ram 2500: the 80 psi tire pressure. He runs 50-55 psi front and rear, but of course the low tire pressure indicator is on all the time.

He tells me the 2500s can't have the value reset, unlike 1500s.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 067343 miles.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the biggest complaint my son has on his Ram 2500: the 80 psi tire pressure. He runs 50-55 psi front and rear, but of course the low tire pressure indicator is on all the time.

He tells me the 2500s can't have the value reset, unlike 1500s.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 067343 miles.
With alfaobd you should be able to reset the tpms values on 2500s from what I've read on here. I believe you will also need your 4 digit pin from the dealer parts department. I haven't done it personally. After 2 years I've just got used to having the light on.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I once drove a 3500 dulley regular cab 8' bed diesel stick shift from the auto auction in Detroit. Kidney puncher to say the least!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I bought my truck I actually traveled from the Washington DC area to upstate New York because I found the truck I wanted at the price I wanted to pay there. Not a bad drive as I have family there already but I also got a chance to just enjoy my truck on the highway the first time I drove it. What I'm saying is is that you could look some distance away from you on the ram locator site and see what's available. For example, saw some Limiteds and Laramie's plus the Big Horns and the Tradesman optioned trucks in the Indianapolis area. So that might be an option for you if you don't want to wait. I did all of my negotiations over email and phone and didn't actually see the truck until I went to pick it up. I have been in some Gen 5, I have a Gen 4 RAM 2500 and really enjoy it. In terms of interior space, I don't know if there is any difference. I have the crew cab with the 8-ft bed and the wheelbase didn't change between the Gen 4 and the Gen 5. So assuming the interior space on those at least are the same. I actually bought the Tradesman and then added in the options I wanted and ended up with a truck that cost me a ton less than getting extra options I didn't want but just me. Good luck in. Enjoy the ride when you get it.

OP
OP
Bricknhank

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
When I bought my truck I actually traveled from the Washington DC area to upstate New York because I found the truck I wanted at the price I wanted to pay there. Not a bad drive as I have family there already but I also got a chance to just enjoy my truck on the highway the first time I drove it. What I'm saying is is that you could look some distance away from you on the ram locator site and see what's available. For example, saw some Limiteds and Laramie's plus the Big Horns and the Tradesman optioned trucks in the Indianapolis area. So that might be an option for you if you don't want to wait. I did all of my negotiations over email and phone and didn't actually see the truck until I went to pick it up. I have been in some Gen 5, I have a Gen 4 RAM 2500 and really enjoy it. In terms of interior space, I don't know if there is any difference. I have the crew cab with the 8-ft bed and the wheelbase didn't change between the Gen 4 and the Gen 5. So assuming the interior space on those at least are the same. I actually bought the Tradesman and then added in the options I wanted and ended up with a truck that cost me a ton less than getting extra options I didn't want but just me. Good luck in. Enjoy the ride when you get it.
I searched up to 500 miles for a 2500 in stock. I either had no luck finding one equipped how I wanted or they were charging premium fees on top of sticker. Most f the time the premium fees weren’t revealed until I placed a phone call to the dealer. Since I currently drive a 1500 Longhorn I guess I’m spoiled with the luxury. I was willing to step down to a Laramie however there were some towing options that weren’t available on the Laramie that were either standard or optional on the Longhorn or Limited.