2500 or 3500 for 5th Wheel Retirement Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SGTrucks

Reaction score
Short background - towed a 5400 lb travel trailer - dual axle, weight distribution hitch 6000 miles in 18 days to 10 national parks, was at 85% of my cap, had a few issues when it was hotter out (80+) and a few grade issues in Colorado and Utah where I capped at 45mph (heat related capped around 60mph). It was ok and will work for the short term but want to upgrade before the next trip to Grand Canyon and back next year (Live in Ohio).

My question is future proofing a bit for a live in / work in retirement truck / trailer - planning on working at Campgrounds / KOA 62 yo to ? (maybe 75 or so?) - want to see the country and what better way than to work part time and live in an area for 3 to 6 months and see different sections of the US while I can still get around well :)

Looking at a 5th Wheel - 43 ft, 2150 hitch weight (2400 loaded) 11.7k unloaded trailer weight, 14k loaded trailer weight.
Specifically this 5th Wheel (there are a few similar / other brands but this has what I want) - https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/heritage-glen-fifth-wheels/369BL/6874

80% rule I need something that will tow 18k max and 3k hitch (bed in this case / payload). Understanding extra weight in the cab (me / dog / kid adds to to that).

Most of the 2500 V8 Gas hit about 17K / 3K roughly (need to stay away from the lower end 2700 payload capacities).
Most of the 3500 V8 Gas hit about the same - they start shooting up to 30k with the turbo deisel / right transmission at the high end.

2500 -
Been looking at the 6.4 V8 Gas with the 8spd 8HP75 Tradesman 2500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4" Box 4.1 Ratio which has a Payload of 3230 Max Trailer of 17070. - or -
Been looing at the 6.7 I6 Turbo Diesel with the 6SPD 68RFE 2500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4" Box 3.73 Ratio which has a Payload of 2480 Max Trailer of 19170. (I think this one is OFF my list due to Payload).

3500 -
Been looking at the 6.4 V8 Gas with the 8 Spd 8HP75 Tradesman 3500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4"Box 4.1 Ratio which has a Payload of 4240 Max Trailer of 16970. - or -
Been looking at the 6.7 I6 Diesel with the 6SPD 68RFE Tradesman 3500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4" Box 3.73 Ratio which has a Payload of 4000 Max Trailer of 20220. - or -

Won't be towing every day - this is more of a go somewhere for at least a week setup (if not a season or a month).

Looking to buy something this year - thoughts on Diesel vs Gas? 2500 vs 3500?
Thoughts / Experiences with towing a 14K 5th wheel? (I don't want to get heat capped / grade capped and would like to be able to do a solid 60mph or 70mph and be able to pass someone if needed). I don't need to consistently drive 75 to 80 though (it might be nice to do a solid 75 across Kansas or North / South Dakota though lol).

Any advice / experience appreciated. Thank you!

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Short background - towed a 5400 lb travel trailer - dual axle, weight distribution hitch 6000 miles in 18 days to 10 national parks, was at 85% of my cap, had a few issues when it was hotter out (80+) and a few grade issues in Colorado and Utah where I capped at 45mph (heat related capped around 60mph). It was ok and will work for the short term but want to upgrade before the next trip to Grand Canyon and back next year (Live in Ohio).

My question is future proofing a bit for a live in / work in retirement truck / trailer - planning on working at Campgrounds / KOA 62 yo to ? (maybe 75 or so?) - want to see the country and what better way than to work part time and live in an area for 3 to 6 months and see different sections of the US while I can still get around well :)

Looking at a 5th Wheel - 43 ft, 2150 hitch weight (2400 loaded) 11.7k unloaded trailer weight, 14k loaded trailer weight.
Specifically this 5th Wheel (there are a few similar / other brands but this has what I want) - https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/heritage-glen-fifth-wheels/369BL/6874

80% rule I need something that will tow 18k max and 3k hitch (bed in this case / payload). Understanding extra weight in the cab (me / dog / kid adds to to that).

Most of the 2500 V8 Gas hit about 17K / 3K roughly (need to stay away from the lower end 2700 payload capacities).
Most of the 3500 V8 Gas hit about the same - they start shooting up to 30k with the turbo deisel / right transmission at the high end.

2500 -
Been looking at the 6.4 V8 Gas with the 8spd 8HP75 Tradesman 2500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4" Box 4.1 Ratio which has a Payload of 3230 Max Trailer of 17070. - or -
Been looing at the 6.7 I6 Turbo Diesel with the 6SPD 68RFE 2500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4" Box 3.73 Ratio which has a Payload of 2480 Max Trailer of 19170. (I think this one is OFF my list due to Payload).

3500 -
Been looking at the 6.4 V8 Gas with the 8 Spd 8HP75 Tradesman 3500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4"Box 4.1 Ratio which has a Payload of 4240 Max Trailer of 16970. - or -
Been looking at the 6.7 I6 Diesel with the 6SPD 68RFE Tradesman 3500 4*4 Crew Cab ST 6-4" Box 3.73 Ratio which has a Payload of 4000 Max Trailer of 20220. - or -

Won't be towing every day - this is more of a go somewhere for at least a week setup (if not a season or a month).

Looking to buy something this year - thoughts on Diesel vs Gas? 2500 vs 3500?
Thoughts / Experiences with towing a 14K 5th wheel? (I don't want to get heat capped / grade capped and would like to be able to do a solid 60mph or 70mph and be able to pass someone if needed). I don't need to consistently drive 75 to 80 though (it might be nice to do a solid 75 across Kansas or North / South Dakota though lol).

Any advice / experience appreciated. Thank you!

First pick out the 5th then pick out the pick up. Don't forget single or dulley.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5th wheels your looking at I would step into a 3500 Either the H.O or standard. Payload alone is worth it with a 5th wheel. I have a 22' long bed standard output and towes great.

Bike_Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
3500 without question, you'll want the payload and as a practical matter the leaf springs are going to be a lot more stable towing. Only question really is DRW or SRW, and diesel or gas. Both have pros and cons.

Diesel will be the most relaxed towing option with all the torque and will be more efficient. The exhaust brake on the way down the hills is also great. Get the HO version for the Aisin transmission if you go diesel.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Agreed, you want a 3500. Don't even think about a 2500 for that job. I own a newer 2500 and would never use it for that load. It would be over capacity. Since you're towing through the mountains, I'd also agree on the diesel, either SO or HO. It's just a so much more relaxed pulling experience.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The major difference between a 3500 and a 2500 is the payload. Also, the 2500 will ride better unloaded than the 3500 if that is important to you. Of course, the ride is with respect to the road quality.

I agree with the others, pick your RV first, then the tow vehicle that can handle it.

I would go diesel for any tow weight over 12K, that just seems to be the number you read about when looking at RV forums. Also, consider where in the country you will be visiting. Controlling the weight rolling down long passes is much more comfortable with an exhaust brake that is standard on the Cummins.

I also highly recommend the rear air suspension system available on both the 2500 and the 3500.

I pull a 40-foot 16K Montana with a 3500 Cummins single rear wheel with rear air suspension and short bed. I ordered the standard output Cummins along with the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep group. If I had it to do over, I would order the same but go with the full-size bed. If you go with the short bed, consider getting a slider fifth-wheel hitch.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd pick gas every time over diesel if both can do the job well enough. But that load, frequency, and distance would definitely make me want a 3500 cummins if I wanted to stay only in the Ram family.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There are some lighter fifth wheels in the 40+ foot range that have pin weights that a 2500 can handle. They've really upped the payload capacities since I last owned a fifth wheel.

That said, for stability and control of the trailer, you'll want a DRW 3500 - It's the best setup for pulling big campers. Well, second best - an F450 is actually better because they're purpose-built for it (tighter turning, heavier-duty wheels/tires, better axles, etc) but this is a Ram forum and I don't know enough about the bigger Ram trucks. I only know what I do about F450s because I've been around a LOT of them.

Regardless, a dually will pull and handle the camper better (more tires on the road = more control), but will ride like a chuck wagon when empty. So the question really is, how much do you want to beat yourself up while driving empty?

OR you could buy a toy hauler and get a small vehicle to put in the back...something like a Smartfor2 or something...if you feel like living on the edge.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are some lighter fifth wheels in the 40+ foot range that have pin weights that a 2500 can handle. They've really upped the payload capacities since I last owned a fifth wheel.

That said, for stability and control of the trailer, you'll want a DRW 3500 - It's the best setup for pulling big campers. Well, second best - an F450 is actually better because they're purpose-built for it (tighter turning, heavier-duty wheels/tires, better axles, etc) but this is a Ram forum and I don't know enough about the bigger Ram trucks. I only know what I do about F450s because I've been around a LOT of them.

Regardless, a dually will pull and handle the camper better (more tires on the road = more control), but will ride like a chuck wagon when empty. So the question really is, how much do you want to beat yourself up while driving empty?

OR you could buy a toy hauler and get a small vehicle to put in the back...something like a Smartfor2 or something...if you feel like living on the edge.

Those F450's are no joke! Single cab with the incredible short turning radius and a powerful diesel, what's not to love?

Only downside I've read is the exhaust brake. Reports I've read, the cummins exhaust brake is incredible, the power stroke is very mediocre and the duramax is pretty bad too.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Those F450's are no joke! Single cab with the incredible short turning radius and a powerful diesel, what's not to love?

Only downside I've read is the exhaust brake. Reports I've read, the cummins exhaust brake is incredible, the power stroke is very mediocre and the duramax is pretty bad too.
The Power stroke's engine brake isn't that good, partly because it's a V8. However if you're going to get an F450, almost better to get the crew cab with an actual truck box. It's a beast.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
probably best bet if staying ram would be 3500 6.7 SRW. your going to be too heavy for 2500 dsl and the gas 2500 would work hard pulling that size trailer in the terrain out west. a 2500 gm gasser with their 10 speed would probably work better for you if going gas..tip: stay in Williams when going to GCNP. nice rv park there and a cool little town. no fun taking a rig that size up to the park.

Ram Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I got my 3500 SRW in 2020 and never regretted it. when we hitch up to our fifth wheel these days we travel further and easier than we ever have. Our current trailer is a 30’ outdoors RV, gross about 13k plus all the stuff I put in the bed. You wont regret buying more truck and one that is made to tow.

And for local stuff I really like these 3500 series trucks (includes friends GM’s I guess too :) ) for bumper pull work - dump trailers, car haulers and such.

The dually was much debated when we shopped last time. For a tow rig it would be ideal, only reason we held off is that I am still working full time in Seattle and there is just no way I could ever park a dually at my apartment. If / when I get to break out of here and live full time at our weekend place, I will upgrade.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
probably best bet if staying ram would be 3500 6.7 SRW. your going to be too heavy for 2500 dsl and the gas 2500 would work hard pulling that size trailer in the terrain out west. a 2500 gm gasser with their 10 speed would probably work better for you if going gas..tip: stay in Williams when going to GCNP. nice rv park there and a cool little town. no fun taking a rig that size up to the park.
I've been hearing a LOT of bad about the GM/Ford developed 10-speed. Something about most of them start to fail around 60k miles, at least in gas powered trucks. It's part of why we got rid of my wife's - she was at about 55k miles and it was starting to have issues doing the skip-shift from 1st to 4th, it would shift out of 1st then fall on its face while it decided what gear it wanted from time to time. It wouldn't 'slam' back into gear but it definitely wasn't right.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
5th wheel = 1 ton truck

Live with the bad empty ride and enjoy the great loaded ride.

Not necessarily true. I've pulled SEVERAL fifth wheels with 3/4 ton trucks. You're just limited in size, though for a retired couple with a dog or two, there are a LOT of options. You don't need bunks, you may want 2 couches, there are a LOT of options with that configuration that have less than a 2500 lb pin weight, which is more than doable with a 2500. Well, except the Power Wagon.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not necessarily true. I've pulled SEVERAL fifth wheels with 3/4 ton trucks. You're just limited in size, though for a retired couple with a dog or two, there are a LOT of options. You don't need bunks, you may want 2 couches, there are a LOT of options with that configuration that have less than a 2500 lb pin weight, which is more than doable with a 2500. Well, except the Power Wagon.
Depends on the 2500. A lot of the four door 2500's with a Cummins will not have the legal capacity for a 2500lb pin weight. Especially when you count other stuff like passengers/dogs/hitch weights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat