2wd vs. 4wd. Let's go!

Which are you happy driving?

• 4wd

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • 2wd

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the help guys. I apologize if I have frustrated anyone with to many similar posts or questions. I think I am going to go ahead and sell my current ram and look for a 3.55 geared truck. That 3-4 mpg I see people getting is well worth it for my driving needs. I'm sure I will post a picture of the new truck when I do get one. Thanks again for the responses.

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my Ram I average around 10-14mpg per tank (Hand Calculated with corrected speedo). My truck is an 05 4x4 quad cab hemi with 3.55 gears, and hemifever 94 octane tune. I also constantly have around 300 pounds of weight in the bed from all of my tools and gear for work. If i baby my truck and do around a gentle 80-100km/h I can push the MPG upto 16-18mpg.

I feel that if I took my all my gear out, bought a tonneau cover and drove like a granny I could manage a consistent 17mpg.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
I have a 2wd, and my gas mileage is still terrible.. only way to get that fixed is to get the 4.7 for better mpg. Or you can look into cold air intakes for some better performance and mpg. Also, you could look into getting a chip... But I would keep what you have and not try to sell it. Getting a car as a student is a really big gamble with little money. (I'm also a student)

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The buy/sell doesn't bother me much. I have been buying selling and trading vehicles for about 2 years now, just as a hobby. Between jet skis, atv's, motorcycles, and trucks/cars, this will be my 11th deal. Haven't lost money yet! (Knock on wood). I've also been kicking around a street truck build, which would make more sense with a 2wd and 5.7L.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
If you end up building a true street truck you're going to want lower gearing for acceleration anyways.

RPMRamFury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7 HEMI
What did you end up doing? I was with the guy who talked about all the risks. I hope you kept your 4x4 because around here a 2wd is worth scrap.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran into more issues with my 4x4 so I've been getting it repaired. The gas mileage is still terrible so I'm looking at my finances and I may trade for a Tundra or 4runner. I'm concerned with mileage but I am also concerned with keeping this truck repaired. The precious owner did not treat it as well as I thought and it is setting me up for $$$ repairs. I've had it since January and it's been in the shop 3 times for a total of 1300$. I really like the Ram and nothing that's broken is Dodge building a sub par truck, but I don't want to be nickeled and dimed to death because of poor previous ownership.
In regards to 2x4 vs 4x4, I'm set on whatever I drive having 4x4. Street trucks are cool but being my primary vehicle where I live it's worth the extra cost to have 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I went from a 2wd to a 4wd and I'll never have another 2wd again. It really depends on what you need the truck for. If you don't ever find yourself pulling anything heavy and need the traction or don't go off road then I say get a 2wd. You'll save money and gas. The 4wd is really just about traction. I've lost traction in soft dirt with a trailer hooked up and needed the 4wd.

If you're not pulling anything you'll be fine with a 2wd.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the 10 days of snow we may or may not get in NC, and the few days I go hunting make sense to have 4x4. Plus helps resale value.

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Washington State and 4wd is a must, Hunting Season starts in september, followed by duck season from october through january.... the days were driving in the worst of weather is some of our best duck hunting days. TO get up into the high country for some good late season muley huntin you will need 4wd guaranteed. I went 4 years without a truck, I will never do that again. LOL

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
2 wheel drive for me. I wouldnt put an expensive brand new 4x4 truck in the mud. esp if i bought it with my hard earned cash.

my 77 1 ton chevy is what i use to play in the mud....wheels much better than a new truck would anyway.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree I wouldn't trash a nice truck off-road but I can't afford two vehicles and a motorcycle, plus with occasional snow and ice it's nice to have it for on road use as well.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was close to getting a 2wd but then it iced/snowed about 2 weeks ago (again) and that pretty much settled that debate for me.

Barrackus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is a huge difference between wheeling your truck and using your trucks capabilities.

If i want a trail vehicle, or a wheeler Ill build a jeep. something that i wouldnt mind rubbing a tree with.
Alot of the places we hunt we also gather wood for winter, these trucks work for us, get us to the locations we like to hunt and gather wood to help us stay warm through the winter. Tow trailers, boats... haul stuff, What the truck was meant for. Doesn't mean were beating them up while we do it. Most of the time were on logging roads the whole time, just trying to get a little deeper before we hike the rest of the way in... I guess it depends on the hunt, or the activity.

Dodge makes em tough, and they stay pretty through it all.

If you don't use it you lose it.... LOL