3.21 Axle ration AND “Off Road” package with Elocking Rear diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you get a 3.21 Axle on 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie AND “also” get the OFF ROAD Package (electronic locking rear diff) ???? I’m getting mixed answers - many say Off Road & Elocking Rear diff = change to 3.92.
Confused and even Dealer Not sure. Trying to order Laramie 1500 4x4 Crew cab, 5’7” box, 5.7 Hemi (NO Etorque) Two To e paint —— want the 3.21 for better highway mileage but also Off Road for my occasional back woods driving. Appreciate hearing from anyone that actual HAS ONE or is “certain” of the correct answer...thanks

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I haven't been able to locate the 2020 feature guide...but for 2019, with ORG you can pick your axle ratio.

Rebel and standard height default to 3.92.Screenshot_20200106-164114_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Should be the same for 2020,but

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you get a 3.21 Axle on 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie AND “also” get the OFF ROAD Package (electronic locking rear diff) ???? I’m getting mixed answers - many say Off Road & Elocking Rear diff = change to 3.92.
Confused and even Dealer Not sure. Trying to order Laramie 1500 4x4 Crew cab, 5’7” box, 5.7 Hemi (NO Etorque) Two To e paint —— want the 3.21 for better highway mileage but also Off Road for my occasional back woods driving. Appreciate hearing from anyone that actual HAS ONE or is “certain” of the correct answer...thanks

You can build it that way on the ram website, I just did a 2020 laramie 1500 4x4 crew with 5'7" box and 5.7 non etorque with two tone paint...3.21 gears and added the ORP, the only change it required was putting different tires on. The gears stayed at 3.21, so based off of their build website, looks like it should be doable.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have it on my 19 Bighorn I’m sure the Laramie isn’t different

OP
OP
C

ChuckRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can build it that way on the ram website, I just did a 2020 laramie 1500 4x4 crew with 5'7" box and 5.7 non etorque with two tone paint...3.21 gears and added the ORP, the only change it required was putting different tires on. The gears stayed at 3.21, so based off of their build website, looks like it should be doable.

JOECo - thanks, I was also able to build it on Wedsite but found out at Dealer that some things Web lets you do can’t actually be ordered that way. I also read on some Forums/discussions that when you add the Electronic Locking Rear Diff - it requires the 3.92. Dealer told me that I can get the 3.21 AND Off Road Package & ElecLock-Diff......But he’d tell me anything to sell a Truck! Also, it’s difficult to confirm the actual axle ratio because the window sticker is often “wrong” and therefore it could come in with a different axle ratio then the sticker says... I realize I’m a bit paranoid on this and trying to get some facts to “calm down”..... Appreciate everyone’s help and knowledge

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
To clarify what the feature guide says.

Rebel...it only gets 3.92 eLocker standard

Raised ride height aka off road group...can get 3.21 or 3.92...eLocker part of group.

Standard height...means the eLocker is a selected option...only 3.92

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
This may only complicate your decision process, but for occasional off road use the LSD option would be suitable as well IMO. I had that in my previous Ram and was very impressed with the LSD functionality. I used it off road quite a bit.

(FCA calls it “Anti-spin”)

OP
OP
C

ChuckRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RAMVT - Thank you - can you Notice a slight difference in how the 3.21 axle ratio drives vs the 3.92 (if you’ve Driven both)?? Also, what mileage are you getting? Thank you !

OP
OP
C

ChuckRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clarify what the feature guide says.

Rebel...it only gets 3.92 eLocker standard

Raised ride height aka off road group...can get 3.21 or 3.92...eLocker part of group.

Standard height...means the eLocker is a selected option...only 3.92[/QUO
395DevilDog — Thanks, I am NOT getting the “Air adjustable” suspension — does that mean Standard Height I “must get” 3.92 ??

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Standard height would be any truck other than Rebel or Offroad Group.

If you are getting ORG with air...you chose.

If you are not getting the ORG but air then you only get the 3.92. And you would have to select the eLocker as an option

OP
OP
C

ChuckRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Standard height would be any truck other than Rebel or Offroad Group.

If you are getting ORG with air...you chose.

If you are not getting the ORG but air then you only get the 3.92. And you would have to selec.

392DevilDog - I’m still confused and maybe even “Stupid” but here’s what I “Want” - 3.21 AND the Off Road Group But NO “Air”......I believe the Off Road Group includes ELocking rear differential.... Now, does this mean I will automatically get a 3.92 added or can I keep the 3.21?
If I can’t keep the 3.21 then I will have to pass on the ORP. Thank you

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
JMHO but with the ORG I'd want the 3.92's. You could always get a taller tire to help offset the gearing somewhat.

Blue Mule

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes.. the Offroad Group allows you to choose. With or with out air.

A truck without ORG defaults the 3.92 with or without air.

It is the one inch lift on the ORG that makes the distinction.

Hope that makes sense @ChuckRam

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
JOECo - thanks, I was also able to build it on Wedsite but found out at Dealer that some things Web lets you do can’t actually be ordered that way. I also read on some Forums/discussions that when you add the Electronic Locking Rear Diff - it requires the 3.92. Dealer told me that I can get the 3.21 AND Off Road Package & ElecLock-Diff......But he’d tell me anything to sell a Truck! Also, it’s difficult to confirm the actual axle ratio because the window sticker is often “wrong” and therefore it could come in with a different axle ratio then the sticker says... I realize I’m a bit paranoid on this and trying to get some facts to “calm down”..... Appreciate everyone’s help and knowledge

No problem Chuck, and your concern is valid in terms of some strange ordering requirements popping up sometimes, that don't always on the build website. If it were me and I wanted to confirm that combination was available, I would search nationwide for 2020's with those criterea (on cars.com or autotrader etc), and then using the link 392Devildog left, confirm the options and gearing it came with by looking up its build sheet. Quite honestly, you'll want to use that link for the build sheet anyway, to insure the truck you are potentially looking to buy, actually has what you want, rather than taking the salesman word for it. It's a great tool to use for shopping and it's the first thing I look at when I'm looking for trucks, a lot of dealer ads have incorrect information in them so you can't trust that.

What I can say is, I am more than sure I have seen the electronic locking diff with 3.21's. Also, it seems for the most part in most areas, the 3.21's are much more common then 3.92's. I'd also agree with @Travelin Ram that the LSD or "anti spin" as it would show up on the build sheet, is a good option as well. I've had that on my last 3 rams and would prefer it to the locking diff, personally. Worth looking into though if it might work for you and open up more options to get the truck you want.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Put the VIN of the truck in here. It will tell you exactly what it has.

As stated above...the feature guide clearly explains this...except. I haven't been able to get a 2020 to verify no change...but there is no reason for change.

OP
OP
C

ChuckRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem Chuck, and your concern is valid in terms of some strange ordering requirements popping up sometimes, that don't always on the build website. If it were me and I wanted to confirm that combination was available, I would search nationwide for 2020's with those criterea (on cars.com or autotrader etc), and then using the link 392Devildog left, confirm the options and gearing it came with by looking up its build sheet. Quite honestly, you'll want to use that link for the build sheet anyway, to insure the truck you are potentially looking to buy, actually has what you want, rather than taking the salesman word for it. It's a great tool to use for shopping and it's the first thing I look at when I'm looking for trucks, a lot of dealer ads have incorrect information in them so you can't trust that.

What I can say is, I am more than sure I have seen the electronic locking diff with 3.21's. Also, it seems for the most part in most areas, the 3.21's are much more common then 3.92's. I'd also agree with @Travelin Ram that the LSD or "anti spin" as it would show up on the build sheet, is a good option as well. I've had that on my last 3 rams and would prefer it to the locking diff, personally. Worth looking into though if it might work for you and open up more options to get the truc.
THANK YOU - this is the most detailed and helpful info I’ve gotten !!!!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THANK YOU - this is the most detailed and helpful info I’ve gotten !!!!

You're welcome! A little tip for reading those build sheets, all of the standard equipment is listed first and after that list you will see where the optional equipment list starts. For the gears, if it has 3.21's (standard equipment) you will see them listed in that first (standard equip) area. If it has 3.92's, you will see no gear mentioned in standard equipment, but it will show 3.92 in the optional equipment list. If it has the anti spin (LSD) or the locking diff, or the ORP, these should all be listed in the optional equipment section as well.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RAMVT - Thank you - can you Notice a slight difference in how the 3.21 axle ratio drives vs the 3.92 (if you’ve Driven both)?? Also, what mileage are you getting? Thank you !

I drove a 3.92 geared 4th gen that was close to the same weight as my current truck previously. I honestly could not tell much of a difference just driving around. In the summer time I was averaging about 19 mpg and right now its about 16. Both averages are mixed driving though.

My two cents is, if you CAN get the 3.92, get it. The higher towing rating out weighs the "gas savings". My truck has 3.21 gears simply because it was on the dealer lot and it checked off every want I had except for the gears and I did not feel like waiting for one to be built.

Spending the $95(I think that's how much it costs) for the upgraded gears from the factory is a lot cheaper than changing afterwards.