3rd Gen Ram 1500 Alpharex Nova Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasJack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hi everyone, hoping one of you kind souls can help me with this issue since alpharex customer service cannot. Last summer, I got a set of Alpharex’s alpha black nova headlights for my ‘02 Dodge Ram 1500 ST. A few months ago, my highbeams stopped working. When I turn them on, the headlights flicker and a lamp out signal shows up on my dash. Everything else works fine and both the look and the low beam output are spectacular but I’d really like to have use of every feature with how much I paid for those. I’ve been in contact with alpharex about it but other than sending a replacement set and their kind attitudes, they haven’t been much help. I replaced the headlights with the new set but I still have the same issue. In case it wasn’t an issue related to the headlights, I also checked the battery and the alternator in case they were causing the issues but both were fine. Anyone here have an idea? Anything helps, I’m at my wits end here. Thank you in advance for y’all’s time.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on the symptoms you are describing, initial thoughts are you need to check the high-beam switch (which is in the steering column). This switch provides a signal to the BCM for low beam in normal operation, but when you flip the stalk forward or pull it back from center, it reroutes the signal to a different pin in the BCM. This tells the BCM you want high beam and it then provides power to the high beams. Power flows from the battery, through 2x 40A fuses, to the BCM. If the BCM was not getting power, there would be a whole lot more wrong. So, the issue isn't in the BCM unless it's JUST the HB circuit coming from the BCM. Since your low beams work without hitch, this is not likely. The next thing to check is unplug one of the high beam lamps, and using a multimeter, check that you have good ground from the ground side pin to the body of the truck. If you have good ground, turn on the highbeams, and verify you have at least 11 VDC coming to the highbeam power side. If you don't have power, your issue is further up the power side chain - meaning, you probably have a bad switch, however, a break in wiring is also a possiblility. You will have to remove the cover on the steering column to verify the switch's functionality. If you do have power, somewhere in the ground side is going to be the problem, and since that's direct to the body/chasis, should be an easy fix by fixing the break in the ground. If the power is good at the switch, check for a break between the switch and the BCM, and between the BCM highbeam out to the light.