4.7l v8 stalled in drive-thru

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Hello everyone I just recently bought an 04 1500 that has the 4.7l v8 it is the 4x4. Yesterday it stalled out and died on me in the drive-thru. I did some searching in the forum and found a few threads similar to mine but they all said it was during colder weather. It happened to me in about 85 degree weather after the truck had been running highway for about 45ish minutes. As I was sitting in the drive-thru I let off the break to scoot forward a little and I noticed the rpm's jumped a bit and then they stayed at about 600 rpm until I started to scoot forward again and turn the wheels to the left and it just died. No engine light or anything. I started it back up and it drove fine all the way home and so far this morning. Anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I'm not sure I will have to check. I just bought the truck a week ago. It has right at 95,*** miles on it. I doubt the plugs have been changed either, any chance of that being part of the problem?

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've heard stories of old batteries causing things like that, and have experienced it myself. Worth checking anyway. I had the 'die at idle' thing and it was indeed the old battery.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Thanks for the help. I will definitely check that out on my lunch break today.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I went ahead and checked. Whoever put the battery in didn't mark the year off. It looks like a new battery and there is no corrosion on it.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you bring it to autozone or advanced auto, they can do a load test for you and tell you the condition of the battery.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I was going to do that today, also going to have them check to see if there are any codes I can go off of.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Try the key dance, not sure of it works on yours... Foot on the brake, turn the key from off to run (without starting truck) three times quickly and leave it on 'run' after the third time, the codes should scroll across the odometer. This is from memory and I think I'm right, but someone here will verify if it doesn't work for you.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Try the key dance, not sure of it works on yours... Foot on the brake, turn the key from off to run (without starting truck) three times quickly and leave it on 'run' after the third time, the codes should scroll across the odometer. This is from memory and I think I'm right, but someone here will verify if it doesn't work for you.

I know that it works on the trucks that have the Can-Bus system. Not sure about the ones without it though. Easy way to know if you have the Can-Bus is if you have the grey security key then you have it.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
It worked on my truck. first it said "done" then showed "--------" and then flashed back to my mileage. So I'm guessing that means it didn't have any codes. I'm still going to have the battery checked and I'll just keep watching it and see if anything else happens. Thanks for the help guys.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
It worked on my truck. first it said "done" then showed "--------" and then flashed back to my mileage. So I'm guessing that means it didn't have any codes. I'm still going to have the battery checked and I'll just keep watching it and see if anything else happens. Thanks for the help guys.

Yep, no codes. I'm going with battery but a dirty TB could be a suspect.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Yep, no codes. I'm going with battery but a dirty TB could be a suspect.

I'm going to go ahead and clean the TB tonight just as a precaution, I'm sure the original owners probably didn't do that either.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Got the battery checked on lunch and it's a good battery. So I can go ahead and cross that off the list.

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Cleaned the TB. Noticed the truck now idles more around 700 rpm instead of 500-600 range. I'll update if I have any more problems with the truck dying.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
hows the air filter and oil, fuel injectors?

OP
OP
ClearlyRy

ClearlyRy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
air filter and oil are both good. I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to mechanical stuff so not sure how to check the fuel injectors.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Run some Lucas Fuel injector cleaner through it. That will make short work of the injectors IF they are dirty. Like a previous poster said it MIGHT be the fuel pump. The fuel pump has a filter on its pick-up, and that can sometimes get real clogged. TO get to the fuel pump and filter it has you will have to drop the tank. I suggest doing that when the tank is almost empty (when the light comes on), and make sure that you have a 5 gallon can of gas on hand to put in the tank, because you might be getting rid of the gasoline in the tank if the pump's filter is real dirty.