40 mph shudder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 5.7 QC 4x4 12,500 mi. At a constant 40 mph the truck has a shudder/vibration/growl that can be felt through the floorboard. I noticed over the weekend that it also has this condition downshifting in stoplight to stoplight conditions. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if its not your MDS kicking in and out then, it sounds like a torque converter lock/unlock issue. You can check the trans fluid, if its ok then take it in they will most likely re-flash the TCM.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I get shudder when the rpms are too low, I solved it by driving in tow haul mode every time I start my truck. Low gears are usually so short the rpms wont fall because your transmsion will just chnage gear, but when I'm in those middle gears and I slow it happens. TH mode decreases the shifts to keep you in higher rpms.

Last edited:

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2012 5.7 QC 4x4 12,500 mi. At a constant 40 mph the truck has a shudder/vibration/growl that can be felt through the floorboard. I noticed over the weekend that it also has this condition downshifting in stoplight to stoplight conditions. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

I solved both issues with a DiabloSport and custom tune.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Expensive solution.

I'd try the tow/haul mode first ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Expensive but really effective. Wasn't the only reason I got the tuner ofc

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Expensive but really effective. Wasn't the only reason I got the tuner ofc

I agree on the Diablo. Mine drones a bit as well, going to try the tow/haul button as well.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I had this same issue. Really bad vibrations... They had my traction control module replaced. Afterwards the vibrations continued for a couple of weeks then it was gone. I don't know if this helps or not.

OP
OP
J

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"drones" is a better term for it. I like that. I put it in T/H tonite on the same stretch of road & it's gone. But,why did it start? I've driven the truck down this same road for 14 months with no issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dunno the cause other then the low RPM's, but I'm glad you solved it. So you can do like I do and always run TH or you can tune the bogging shift points out with a tuner and I believe it is white lightening custom tune. Does Moe's still sell the package tuner/tune? I believe there is no downside from driving in tow/haul, in fact i wished that is how Ram would have tuned my truck in the first place. You don't save gas while bogging that much in a gear, in fact you "might" be putting unburnt fuel in your oil. The stock shift points are an extreme situation that has no benefit.

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Confirmed with my 1500 last night when in Tow/Haul or +/- mode drones disappear entirely.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds a lot like the torque converter issue I had and if it is indeed that it feels like a shudder and does it around that that speed and most often up a hill or bridge.

$miley

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley