46 re transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamaguy440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 96 dodge 4x4 has the 5.9. Drives great shifts out great and everything but it won't pull in reverse I mean it kicks down and tries but barely moves at all but all forward gears are good what do I need to do? Any ideas of what I could do to fix it?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Stolen from somewhere else but info applies

NO REVERSE (D RANGES OK)*
1. Gearshift Linkage/Cable Mis-adjusted/Damaged. 1. Repair or replace linkage parts as needed.*
2. Park Sprag Sticking. 2. Replace overdrive annulus gear.*
3. Rear Band Mis-adjusted/Worn. 3. Adjust band; replace.*
4. Valve Body Malfunction. 4. Remove and service valve body. Replace valve body if any valves or valve bores are worn or damaged.*
5. Rear Servo Malfunction. 5. Remove and disassemble transmission. Replace worn/damaged servo parts as necessary.*
6. Direct Clutch in Overdrive Worn. 6. Disassemble overdrive. Replace worn or damaged parts.
7. Front Clutch Burnt. 7. Remove and disassemble transmission. Replace worn, damaged clutch parts as required.*

OP
OP
Bamaguy440

Bamaguy440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. One of my buddies said if it's the band it can be pulled out with transmission still in just drop the valve body and roll it out ?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Front band is adjusted with a t40 torx on the outside of trans. Driverside above the pan. Loosen the 3/4 jamnut and tighten torx screw to 72in/lbs. Then back off 2-7/8 turns. Hold torx in place and crank down the jamnut. Front band adjusted.

OP
OP
Bamaguy440

Bamaguy440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm talking about the reverse band I'm told it can be changed while still in.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Adjustment procedure is the same but pan has to come down and only back off 2 turns. No point changing it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bamaguy440

Bamaguy440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you think its anything major ? Like if u give it alot of gas in reverse then let it idle down and put it in drive it hits hard I don't get it.

493mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10
The rear band is cast iron and transmission disassembly is required for replacement.
Mike

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Do you think its anything major ? Like if u give it alot of gas in reverse then let it idle down and put it in drive it hits hard I don't get it.

What do you mean exactly by rev it in reverse the idle down and hit hard in drive?

Start with band adjustment, fluid and filter change. Make sure there is no binding in linkage. Fluid level is checked in Neutral on level ground with engine running, e-brake on for safety. Rear band I was just told by the owner of cascadetransmissionparts.com to back off 3-3.5 turns because 2 turns will strip the lining off. Personally I would go right in the middle to 2.5 turns or so.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd be more apt to think it's a valvebody issue. The problems with these transmissions more often than not stem from valvebody problems. Something sticks or gets out of adjustment or breaks and it screws the rest of the transmission.

OP
OP
Bamaguy440

Bamaguy440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I changed the fluid and it had a lot of shavings so gonna adjust bands too n see what happens

OP
OP
Bamaguy440

Bamaguy440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well shavings everywhere bands adjusted no reverse

Khoover1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 1500
Engine
Little engine that can (3.9) lol
i smell a rebuild :banghead:
or pull one from a salvage yard, take pan off first before you buy to inspect for shavings, or a broken snap ring inside, also look at the magnet, little stuff is just normal wear and tear. good luck! (this is what i did when my tranny took a crap)

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Mine was doing the exact same thing last Friday. It would do exactly as you described, but I could get reverse to fully engage by shifting to drive then back to reverse. So I got a dumb idea in my head. Once I got reverse to engage, I held the brakes, and revved it almost to the point of spinning then let off. Did that a couple times, haven't had a problem since(knock on wood).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
years ago, a pretty common problem was people shoving the shifter into reverse while the engine was still in fast idle. the pressure exerted on the band servo would snap the end of the reverse band off. somebody earlier remarked about the band being cast iron, that is true. what he didn't mention is that cast iron is brittle and can easily break under certain conditions.