46re limp mode trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spooder3982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L 360
I have a 46re 5.9 magnum and it’s been giving me issues lately, basically it won’t down shift into first or 2nd it’ll only downshift to 2nd when i do it manually but it will only grab first if i’m at a stop light for a while on manual 1 or after a cold start i replaced the governor with a borg warner and transducer it worked perfectly for a week then all sudden when i started it back up it would grab first and if i wanted to accel it was lock into 2nd and not grab first unless i shift into neutral at a stop SOMETIMES there are no codes at all

OP
OP
S

Spooder3982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L 360
I have a 46re 5.9 magnum and it’s been giving me issues lately, basically it won’t down shift into first or 2nd it’ll only downshift to 2nd when i do it manually but it will only grab first if i’m at a stop light for a while on manual 1 or after a cold start i replaced the governor with a borg warner and transducer it worked perfectly for a week then all sudden when i started it back up it would grab first and if i wanted to accel it was lock into 2nd and not grab first unless i shift into neutral at a stop SOMETIMES there are no codes at all
it will shift just fine if i do it manually and it will shift into every gear just fine , if i floor it while cruising it’ll only down shift into 3rd won’t go into 1st or 2nd and it’ll only downshift into 2nd while cruising if i manually do it it does WOT shifts when i shift manually crispy like butter

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Not an expert by any means on A/T s but when you replace governors and/or solenoids, do them all . I just buy the cheap set of them and save the old ones to possibly be reinstalled if in fact the new ones don’t happen to rectify the problem. I have to always keep it simple and inexpensive and work your way up to the more expensive,complex and advanced solutions/options. .
That being said, if fluid is clean and at the proper level… do you have more than one filter in the trans. ? Obviously, you’ve got the sump style filter , but is there a filter that looks similar to a very small oil filter ? If so change it . I’m pretty sure the bands are going to need adjustment if you didn’t mention them. I had a 48 in a ’99 and it was rebuilt in 2009 , but I forgot all about that after the first adjustment a couple years later and it didn’t burn up until 2020 . Would probably have ran better if I had remembered to adjust my band every 24k or 24 months and it would have lasted way longer than that had I done so. Anyway, hope this helps you somewhat, good luck !