4th Gen 3G WiFi support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So with a majority of cell phone providers transitioning to a solely 4G network, has anyone heard and rumblings from FCA in regards to some form of update to our rigs to keep the functionality of the WiFi hotspot/Sirius Travellink?

On the same topic, if the Sprint (cell provider for our rigs)/T-Mobile merger does go through, will they accommodate an update for T-Mobile’s network?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In laymans terms, the module has to be updated or swapped.

Think about it this way, only a few of the newer phones can pick up 5G or the Enhanced 4G LTE Plus and you have to get the newer version of the phone to be able to utilize the new network. The phone manufactures want you to buy a new phone, not update the software for you. Module in our trucks are the same. I’d say swapping out the reciever would be easiest.

As far as the merger thing, it wont make a differance, that would be handled on their network side.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had not previously thought about this, but Verizon recently stated they will not activate any more 3g devices. If you are on their network already, OK, but no 'new' devices. I would expect other carriers to follow suit. It is likely 5+ years down the road, but at some point it will not be possible to use the 3g modules in the current trucks.

OP
OP
R

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had not previously thought about this, but Verizon recently stated they will not activate any more 3g devices. If you are on their network already, OK, but no 'new' devices. I would expect other carriers to follow suit. It is likely 5+ years down the road, but at some point it will not be possible to use the 3g modules in the current trucks.

My thought exactly. I know that our trucks currently use Sprint’s network, so I don’t know how much longer we have, especially with T-Mobile taking them over (and most likely changing their network over to GSM, leaving us out of the loop also)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

That is going to make life interesting for anyone in Canada, the Yukon, etc. since 3g service is all that exists across wide areas. Just got back from a month up there and 3g was all I could get on my iPhone except for in larger cities or metro areas.

Best,
DG

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I personally wouldnt pay what they want for their 3G service. You can make a hotspot with your 4G phone way cheaper than their fee.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just a quick little FYI. 3g will be going nowhere. Ever. 2g is still being sold on off brand carriers using sprints network. You have nothing to worry about.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally wouldnt pay what they want for their 3G service. You can make a hotspot with your 4G phone way cheaper than their fee.
This. 3G is a complete joke when everyone has a cell phone that's faster and unlimited plans are everywhere.

OP
OP
R

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This. 3G is a complete joke when everyone has a cell phone that's faster and unlimited plans are everywhere.

This is what I typically do also if I need to fire up a hotspot so the kids can watch the iPad.
I was thinking more along the lines of TravelLink data (weather, gas prices, etc). It was my understanding that this comes from the cellular data, unless I’m mistaken

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just a quick little FYI. 3g will be going nowhere. Ever. 2g is still being sold on off brand carriers using sprints network. You have nothing to worry about.
While this is true - it is dependent on the specific radio technology in the mobile device. The modules in FCA vehicles run on a specific network (CDMA). It may be possible that a third party buys that bandwidth from Sprint - but given the tight control on frequencies that seams unlikely.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While this is true - it is dependent on the specific radio technology in the mobile device. The modules in FCA vehicles run on a specific network (CDMA). It may be possible that a third party buys that bandwidth from Sprint - but given the tight control on frequencies that seams unlikely.

You said a lot of words that means something, but not in the sentence you used. Sprint is under a contractual obligation to continue providing 2g and 3g support for at least the next 20 years across multiple leased networks. No one needs to buy bandwidth from sprint, no one needs to lease it. 3g in these trucks will be going nowhere for the next at least 20 years. Guaranteed.

Rods Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7 L V8 Hemi
So on my new 2018 RAM it says it uses AT&T as the provider if I want to use my truck as a WiFi hotspot. So if I’m a Verizon customer, that means there is no way possible I can use my truck as a WiFi hotspot?

OP
OP
R

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So on my new 2018 RAM it says it uses AT&T as the provider if I want to use my truck as a WiFi hotspot. So if I’m a Verizon customer, that means there is no way possible I can use my truck as a WiFi hotspot?

While the cellular service is from AT&T, you would be activating and using the hotspot through UConnect. You would have no bill coming from AT&T

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 18 seems to have 4G, not 3Gf7d9480bd54790cbebdf85e49a3713e5.jpg

gwilli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Gen5 Longhorn Crew Cab Long Box
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree that the wifi is independent of whoever you use as a cell phone service provider in that it is provided through UConnect by AT&T. I'd like to tell you how well it works but I can't get into my service on my 3 week old 2019 Gen5 Ram Longhorn. I signed up last night and all seemed to go well. Today I tried it and for sure I could see the vehicle wifi hotspot on my phone as I searched for wifi. Only problem is that I could not connect after repeated attempts with my password entry. Tried to get into my account on my home computer but the same issue - it recognizes that I have an account but my password won't take. When I try to get a reset and they send me an email with "information to reset my userid or password" it has nothing to with such and only takes me back with a link to their sign in page. I called the support number and they could not help but are referring it to their next level of support but it could take up to 72 hours! Well what a pile of ---- ! I most likely won't be going further than the 3 month trial period if I even do that whether willingly or because their systems don't work! Has anyone else had issues? Has anyone else resolved them?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I just went through this with Verizon. Needed to replace my flip phone (yea yea) and they told me the 3G will start phasing out on 1/1/2019 and over a period of a few months my old flip phones (yea yea) wont work. I went with the new 4g flip phones with a card in them.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is what I typically do also if I need to fire up a hotspot so the kids can watch the iPad.
I was thinking more along the lines of TravelLink data (weather, gas prices, etc). It was my understanding that this comes from the cellular data, unless I’m mistaken

I am fairly certain that the Travellink data comes down over the XM Satellite feed. They own/provide the service for that. I have a VP4 radio in my truck as an upgrade, I do not have the cellular version of the roof antenna, just the flat XM/GPS roof antenna and a bypass hooked to the radio to keep the "service Cell" error from coming up and all the Travellink stuff works perfectly.

-K