4WD light is wrong!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. This is my first post, but have read most of them. This site has helped me with a few problems since i got my truck, but this one i have not found the answer to.

2001 1500 4x4 5.2L

The 4wd light comes on only when I am in 2H. N, 4L, and 4H the light stays off.
The 4wd and 2wd work fine, i tested with a little gravel pit fun.

I have had the truck for a little over 2 weeks now and just noticed today because it was the first time i thought i might need 4wd. So in the last 2 weeks i have put about 1000 miles on 4H. Might explain the 13mpg.

I have looked in the service manual that a got from a link somewhere on the forum. It basically says (if i understand correctly) that when the front axle vacuum pump engages the axle it hits a switch to ground the light on the dash.

Soo if there was a short to ground in the wire, the light would stay on constantly. If there was a bad ground or a break in the wire, the light would never come on. And if it were possible to plug a connector to the switch in backwards the light would still operate normally.

So what could cause the light to be completely opposite? Any Ideas

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Cheap fix there is a vacuum switch on top of your transfer case. 4 vacuum lines plug into it. Sounds like it may be sticking and it's really cheap. Less than 20 bucks from parts store I believe, don't quote me it's been a while since I replaced mine. I'd start there man, hope it works out for ya. Oh and if you've been driving around in 4H, you might want to start looking for a transfer case, thats terrible on it on dry pavement....

Reaction score
Born,raised and currently reside in eastern Ohio
Ram Year
1999 quad cab sport 4x4
Engine
5.9 Magnum=360CI
I had similar issue.Did plugs,wires,cap an rotor button(buddy helped)..And he cracked a vacuum line right behind the distributor Maybe it run to the TCase.I cant say for sure..My 4wd light was being wacky..I took it for a drive an came back an told him.."you broke it you fix it".."Im getting a beer:cheers:....Patched it up an have been good to go since

OP
OP
J

jarod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Solved

Hours of google research finally led me to the answer.

There is a vacuum/switch on the top of the transfer case. has 4 vacuum lines on it arranged in a square. It will go on four different ways. 2 of them will give you a correctly working 4wd with light. and the other 2 seem to give you a correctly working 4wd with an opposite light.

Thanks for your suggestions