4x4 gear swap to 4.56

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i just did a 6in lift and 37s on my 2013 ram and naturally lost alot of power/mpg. I plan on putting in the 4.56 gears my question is, can I do the rear diff for now and do the fronts later or do I have to do them both at the same time? If I have to do both which brand of gears would be the best and how much does the total install cost?

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm doing the rear of mine as soon as I can. Then I'm going to start collecting the parts needed for the '12+ Science Project Cluster **** to get the front done. This will allow me to regear the front on my time and get the diff drop brackets fabbed to fit. Then when I'm ready I can swap it in with little down time.

I did the same thing with my 2007 Silverado when I regeared to 4.88. I rolled with just the rear regeared for a few months with no issues. Just do not accidentally engage 4wd.
I thought about removing the front driveshaft on this truck I'm just worried about the output shaft of the tranny. Would I need to plug it with something or what?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I thought about removing the front driveshaft on this truck I'm just worried about the output shaft of the tranny. Would I need to plug it with something or what?

The front driveshaft is connected to the transfer case, not the transmission. And it bolts on, it isn't a slip yoke like the rear driveshaft into the transfer case. So it's not a problem to drive the truck without it installed. I drove my truck without the front driveshaft installed for about a week when I was getting it lengthened.

OP, as stated above if you aren't going to do them at the same time I'd highly recommend removing your front driveshaft. If you did accidentally put it into 4wd with the different gears front/back you will destroy the transfer case.

Cost wise you're probably looking at +/- $3000 to do the swap. You'll need a front diff from a 2010 or 2011 in order to change the gears as the ring gear is welded to the carrier in the 2012+ trucks. I believe the housings in the 1500's also require a bit of machining to fit 4.56's in them.
For gears I'd look at AAM (OEM) or Yukon.