4x4 or 2wd limited slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark47ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
2500 with 2wd limited slip 410 gears tow rated at 15700. 1000 # lighter than 4wd. 6.4 hemi. SO is 4wd really needed in most cases. Towing rv on pavement 99% of time.
4wd is a $3000 option, I had to order this truck for towing 5th wheel with Puck mounts for. Goose neck. Paid 36k new Tradesman.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
A little hard to follow, but from what I gather, I think you are asking if you need 4x4 or not? From your statements it sounds like the answer is no, you don't need it on this particular truck since you plan on using it for towing and not much else. It also sounds like you are in a warmer climate for most of the year that doesn't see much snow, so that doesn't really factor into your decision either.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Only you know the conditions that you will be driving in , limited slip either way .

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
As others have said, for towing, nope. 3 of my last 4 trucks were 2WD, all they did was tow. My current truck is 4WD, and I've used it once to get through some wet grass at MoParty last month.

It's also going to depend on where you live. If you get a lot of snow I'd definitely want 4WD. We rarely get snow in the south, doesn't matter around me.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Always get 4x4. Resale value alone is worth it and you only need it once to justify having it. You'd be surprised how easily you can get these trucks stuck. The simple task of backing a trailer up in wet grass can leave you stranded.

Last edited:

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always have owned 4x4 trucks. When I bought my 2019 1500 I was looking for a 2X4. Could not find one with the right options.

So bought a 4X4 Laramie.

First time I hooked up our 31 foot camper to it and tried to pull out of the gravel driveway at home. It spun the wheels. New gravel and up a slight incline.

Put it into 4X4 and of course it went like it should.

So the moral of the story.

You don't need 4X4. Until you do.
YMMV.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hunt and fish...a lot. Which means I am regularly not on the asphalt. This truck is 2x4, my last truck was a 4x4 Silverado, the truck before that was a 2x4 Ford.

I got the Ford stuck once, about a week after I bought it when I didn't move fast enough through some loose river rock and had to be pulled out. And if I had just moved faster through that patch of rock I wouldn't have gotten stuck to begin with. I drove that truck for 13 years after that and never needed 4x4. My last truck, the 4x4 Silverado, I drove for 23 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I actually needed the 4x4. And if I had not had the 4x4 I probably wouldn't have put myself into the position to need it to start with.

So, is 4x4 nice to have? Sure. Is it absolutely necessary? Not really, unless you're a rock -crawler. Especially if you pay attention and don't put yourself into situations where you need it. You can almost always drive around.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Always get 4x4. Resale value alone is worth it and you only need it once to justify having it. You'd be surprised how easily you can get these trucks stuck. The simple task of backing a trailer up in wet grass can leave you stranded.
^^ this
Especially true if the Cummins is under the hood. Lots of extra weight over the front axle makes the rear end light.

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As stated, you don't need 4x4 until you do and there are plenty around to help. The next question should be whether or not you need a dually for towing stability?

What do I know, I have a Power Wagon and it don't care.:cool:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I hunt and fish...a lot. Which means I am regularly not on the asphalt. This truck is 2x4, my last truck was a 4x4 Silverado, the truck before that was a 2x4 Ford.

I got the Ford stuck once, about a week after I bought it when I didn't move fast enough through some loose river rock and had to be pulled out. And if I had just moved faster through that patch of rock I wouldn't have gotten stuck to begin with. I drove that truck for 13 years after that and never needed 4x4. My last truck, the 4x4 Silverado, I drove for 23 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I actually needed the 4x4. And if I had not had the 4x4 I probably wouldn't have put myself into the position to need it to start with.

So, is 4x4 nice to have? Sure. Is it absolutely necessary? Not really, unless you're a rock -crawler. Especially if you pay attention and don't put yourself into situations where you need it. You can almost always drive around.

While you are correct that it isn't absolutely necessary, everyone has to determine for themselves if they really need it or not (and on some trims I don't think they give you the option anymore).

For instance, where I live, having 4WD just makes life easier. We get a LOT of blowing snow, so lots of drifts, and there really isn't a way to go around a lot of the time. But I still have to get to work every morning and home every night (my work doesn't really care if the roads are good or not, I'm expected to be here), and while yes, I could probably get through with just 2WD, it is easier on my nerves to put it in 4WD and run.

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I rent travel trailer spaces on a very slight grade in our semi lot to local individuals. One renter has a 2wd GMC 2500. He had to special order it because all the dealers around here only had 4x4s. He is a tightwad and wanted to 'save money', has road tires all around also. I've had to come to the rescue more than once since has gotten that truck stuck numerous times trying to move his trailer in and out of his spot, mainly because of loose wet gravel or a dusting of snow. Pretty crazy considering he has the money...Just opt for the 4x4, you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Depends on where you live. In the West, 4wd limited slip diff and we still get stuck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Another option if the truck is 4X4, there is a 2WD Low range unlock kit available. It allows the transfer case to shift into low range without locking in the front axle. Gives you the option of a lower gear ratio for easier maneuvering and able to steer on hard surfaces.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not my budget but it's worth it. Especially the 4 auto if you end up with that. I use it often in rain and other slippery conditions. I dig the 4 auto a lot.

Eduardo521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Always have owned 4x4 trucks. When I bought my 2019 1500 I was looking for a 2X4. Could not find one with the right options.

So bought a 4X4 Laramie.

First time I hooked up our 31 foot camper to it and tried to pull out of the gravel driveway at home. It spun the wheels. New gravel and up a slight incline.

Put it into 4X4 and of course it went like it should.

So the moral of the story.

You don't need 4X4. Until you do.
YMMV.
Right. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. It's great for when you pull your camper onto a beach. No problem getting out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank