5.7 Cam with a MDS delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been awhile since I’ve posted on here. Well I’m having a lifter tuck now at 101k miles. After searching for forever, I’d like to just stay a stock 5.7 cam but do a MDS delete with Hellcat lifters. Now I’m concerned about can a guy run the full 16 HC lifters on a MDS cam without wiping the cam after start up? Can’t find any info to back up my thoughts. Maybe somebody else has the info I’m looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Been awhile since I’ve posted on here. Well I’m having a lifter tuck now at 101k miles. After searching for forever, I’d like to just stay a stock 5.7 cam but do a MDS delete with Hellcat lifters. Now I’m concerned about can a guy run the full 16 HC lifters on a MDS cam without wiping the cam after start up? Can’t find any info to back up my thoughts. Maybe somebody else has the info I’m looking for.

Hey man, we ended up with the same fate. I haven't been around as much either but got a stuck lifter on #3 2 weeks ago at 138k miles and it wiped the cam. You are but one more case in a very serious problem with the lifters on the 5.7 around 100k miles.

I should be picking my truck up tomm. I ended up getting the whole stage 2 cam kit from Moe's and replacing all the lifters non MDS....it's tuned out already and have an updated tune to load for the cam.

I'm not sure on your specific question though. You can disable MDS thru tune or ditch the solenoids and put delete plugs back in.

I'd be more concerned if the stuck lifter has already started eating a lobe on the cam. You may need to replace it all.

I've just put $3k in parts and $1500 in labor to fix all this. Have you checked your oil/filter for metal?

My truck threw a simple #3 misfire and within 1000 miles it was bad metal on metal and had to have it towed. We found the lobe on #1 was also starting to get eaten. Totally insane...notify FCA even if you don't take it to a dealer. They track every reported case but if it's only done thru third party mechanic it never gets logged for possible action/recall. You aren't alone.....it's becoming an almost daily occurrence to see someone post about it.8d21833cf10f9073f1170bc7b207d16a.jpg69d16a4808c5208b4523a7e3c5f8a311.jpg

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about you having the same issue man. I know you can tune the MDS off but I’m asking about the HC lifters working on a 5.7 cam. I may do a 6.4 cam too. Just haven’t found any info on my question yet lol

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Sorry to hear about you having the same issue man. I know you can tune the MDS off but I’m asking about the HC lifters working on a 5.7 cam. I may do a 6.4 cam too. Just haven’t found any info on my question yet lol

Good luck man, I got my truck back today and she sounds mean as hell. And.....now I need a converter to match the cam. ROFL

Lost just a little on the bottom but once it winds up it pulls hard all the way to the top.

Bump for silver....this thread needs an answer. [emoji482]

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Good luck man, I got my truck back today and she sounds mean as hell. And.....now I need a converter to match the cam. ROFL

Lost just a little on the bottom but once it winds up it pulls hard all the way to the top.

Any pics of the failed parts? What specific oil and filter combo were you using prior to this happening?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Any pics of the failed parts? What specific oil and filter combo were you using prior to this happening?

Patience my friend...lol

I'm actually working on getting it all together to share. I kept it as a $5k souvenir, I hope to hell I never have to deal with anything like this again.

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Who did the work done?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It'll be interesting to see. This is becoming all too common. I think most cam/lifter fails so far have been while using bulk dealer mystery oil and whatever filter they throw on them. That, or fast lube place combos.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Who did the work done?

I just did a summary thread under Engine and Performance. Kevin Simpson Racing in Central VA. He lives on the track and does custom builds all over the state, but very reasonable to work with. If I have any major work done again that I can't do in my driveway my truck is going back to him.

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did a summary thread under Engine and Performance. Kevin Simpson Racing in Central VA. He lives on the track and does custom builds all over the state, but very reasonable to work with. If I have any major work done again that I can't do in my driveway my truck is going back to him.

Does he work for Kolwalski Racing Engines?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Does he work for Kolwalski Racing Engines?
He used to. His son in law has a shop in Lynchburg/Bedford County they do all their work from now. You know what's up. [emoji106]

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
We ran Kolwalski engines when I was helping with a race car at SoBo.

Small world....love it. I barely know most of these guys but all my family is on the strip constantly.

I used to go to the strip all the time with Johnny Ballard from Johnny's Automotive aka the Z doctor. Had a 280zx, 300zx NA and traded it with a 300zx turbo from Johnny with a high stall. One of my favorite cars to this day.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry been busy and forgot about this thread. It’d be appreciated tho not just for me but others searching to find the answer to my question. Still curious about a stock 5.7 MDS cam working with Hellcat lifters. Getting closer to pulling the truck apart and would like some more back up answers.

Sent from the Howitzer...

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sorry been busy and forgot about this thread. It’d be appreciated tho not just for me but others searching to find the answer to my question. Still curious about a stock 5.7 MDS working with Hellcat lifters. Getting closer to pulling the truck apart and would like some more back up answers.

I think you'll need to delete the MDS to run Hellcat lifters

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^ I forgot to put cam after “5.7 MDS”. Sorry about that, I know you have to tune off the MDS or just leave the solenoids unplugged. Either way I found the answer, yes a person can use hellcat lifters on a 5.7 or 6.4 MDS cam without any issues.

WillB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It'll be interesting to see. This is becoming all too common. I think most cam/lifter fails so far have been while using bulk dealer mystery oil and whatever filter they throw on them. That, or fast lube place combos.
Glad I do my own oil changes.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Sorry for seeing this late, you found the answer though!