5.7 Coolant Leak Please Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmpowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone, I know there are several coolant leak threads on here but have been chasing this for months and am at wits end. 2014 1500 with the Hemi. The dealer told me that it was engine oil pooled up below the filter after my last change, lol (but not really). Engine bay smells like a coolant bomb but I can’t seem to identify the source for the life of me. Photos below show where it’s ending up. The bottom photo shows coolant on electrical lines near the oil pan. Freeze plugs? EGR? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2926.jpegIMG_2929.jpegIMG_2930.jpeg

OP
OP
D

dmpowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also just learned I’m getting little to no heat on the drivers side of the vehicle. Blows air, just not hot. This leads me to believe I’m looking at a possible heater core, trans TMU issue. Thanks in advance.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also just learned I’m getting little to no heat on the drivers side of the vehicle. Blows air, just not hot. This leads me to believe I’m looking at a possible heater core, trans TMU issue. Thanks in advance.
Thats because its low on coolant you get air in the heater core Put dye In the coolant will help you find where the leak is coming from. Also check the heater core hoses againsed the fire wall they are known to leak clamps fail also stay far away from the dealer a good mechanic should be able to find a simple coolant leak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dmpowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks jws, from what I understand the coolant dipstick should be about 2-3 ticks up from min when cold and max wheb hot, is that accurate? Are heater core lines accessible on engine side of firewall? Hoping I don’t have to pull the dash.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks jws, from what I understand the coolant dipstick should be about 2-3 ticks up from min when cold and max wheb hot, is that accurate? Are heater core lines accessible on engine side of firewall? Hoping I don’t have to pull the dash.

You need to open the rad cap to check coolant level WHEN ENGINE IS COLD never open when hot it will hurt. Also yes you should be able to see coolant leaking from the firewall dripping down see if the foam is wet on fire wall It will not be your heater core unless your passenger floor is soaked.

OP
OP
D

dmpowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it, I’ll check the heater core hoses in the AM. Appreciate it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Stick your finger in it and then sniff it,
the fluid that is in the pix above, that is

I think you should fix the obvious leak first
wipe the general area down with rags & a product that will clean the area,
like:
Simple Green straight or mixed & rags
or
WD-40 & rags
etc.

As to the Heater issue, do a search here on the forum

Almost every day, someone has the same questions

If you have Heat on the passenger side & no heat on the drivers side,
It could be 3 or 4 different things

Your heater controls need to be reset, very simple to fix.

Broken teeth in the BLEND DOOR Actuator. $40 & a bit of easy labor & a Phillips Screw Driver.

Worst Case, you have a broken Blend Door, it is very easy to trouble shoot, then you know whether or not to go further

The No heat on drivers side is likely posted here many times

search feature:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dmpowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stick your finger in it and then sniff it,
the fluid that is in the pix above, that is

I think you should fix the obvious leak first
wipe the general area down with rags & a product that will clean the area,
like:
Simple Green straight or mixed & rags
or
WD-40 & rags
etc.forum

As to the Heater issue, do a search here on the forum

Almost every day, someone has the same questions

If you have Heat on the passenger side & no heat on the drivers side,
It could be 3 or 4 different things

Your heater controls need to be reset, very simple to fix.

Broken teeth in the BLEND DOOR Actuator. $40 & a bit of easy labor & a Phillips Screw Driver.

Worst Case, you have a broken Blend Door, it is very easy to trouble shoot, then you know whether or not to go further

The No heat on drivers side is likely posted here many times

search feature:

Thank you. I Felt it, sniffed it, it’s coolant. I understand how to use the search function and have read about the possibilities, still no luck finding it even with dye. Hoping somebody sees the photos and has experienced the same issue. I brought up the heat problem here thinking that it may be related to the coolant leak and indicate where it’s coming from. Don’t assume all of us are lazy haha

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you have a pix of your A/C controls in the Center Stack ?

I don't believe the heater hoses have anything to do with the Cab Heat, in your particular case

Try the recalibration test below

Last edited:

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for no heat on the drivers side the heater core might be plugging up. Pull the heater hoses off and flush the core in both directions several times. You might want to add some radiator flush and let it soak for a while and the flush the core again.
I used to have to do that on my daughter’s Nitro a few times over the years.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The thing is, if i remember correctly

There is heat on his Passenger Side
but
NO heat on the drivers side,

that normally means that one or two of the Doors either is not opening at all, or only partially.

Syncing the Actuators should be the first check.

If that does not seem to do anything, the next step is to actually view the actuators moving as you moving the HVAC control knob on the right, with the fan set to the Low position.

The next thing is to, remove the Actuator that can be seen when the lower glove compartment is removed, it will be just to the left of the Fan.
With the actuator removed, ( 2 screws )
You will see a White lever,
using 2 fingers, rotate that white lever, with out using much force.
You should feel very light resistance & when it stops moving, you should & hear a slight THUD, rotate it the other way, & again it will stop with a slight thud.
That confirms that that particular Door is functioning properly.

There are 2 more actuators & doors, behind the center stack, that is the part that surrounds the Radio & the HVAC controls are mounted on

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything about the heat mentioned in the last few posts are good things to look at if your heat doesnt work after you fix the leak and refill system. You most likely have no heat on one side due to low coolant one of the best signs your truck is low you will need to burp the whole system always air pockets in the heater core.

OP
OP
D

dmpowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything about the heat mentioned in the last few posts are good things to look at if your heat doesnt work after you fix the leak and refill system. You most likely have no heat on one side due to low coolant one of the best signs your truck is low you will need to burp the whole system always air pockets in the heater core.
Thanks JWS, agreed! This is a coolant leak thread!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey Everyone, I know there are several coolant leak threads on here but have been chasing this for months and am at wits end. 2014 1500 with the Hemi. The dealer told me that it was engine oil pooled up below the filter after my last change, lol (but not really). Engine bay smells like a coolant bomb but I can’t seem to identify the source for the life of me. Photos below show where it’s ending up. The bottom photo shows coolant on electrical lines near the oil pan. Freeze plugs? EGR? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 530344View attachment 530345View attachment 530346