5.7 Engine turns over BUT NO START

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
the 5.7 engine turns over BUT does not start unless you pump the daylights out of the gas pedal , I had the codes read and it shows a camshaft position sensor as bad . Does anyone know if that could cause the truck to not start ? It is a new engine and runs strong and smooth when it runs . Thanks for any help anyone can offer as I am use to working on older than 99 vehicles lol .

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
i mean.. if the truck wont start, and says its because of a camshaft position sensor.... Thats probably why it wont start.

I dont really get what other information we could provide lol.

if the ECU cannot recognize the camshaft sensor, then it might not let the truck start as a safety precaution. If the ECU is trying to achieve a certain amount of advance on the timing, but doesnt know what position the camshaft is in, you could have a valve kiss a piston.

And while that might sound like a sweet kiss... ill show you what it looks like when a valve meets a piston lol.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Ok ok.. so the valve didnt actually do this to the piston. But you get my point hahaha38f807ff79e4f8cef912fa885e6e5a48.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the 5.7 engine turns over BUT does not start unless you pump the daylights out of the gas pedal , I had the codes read and it shows a camshaft position sensor as bad . Does anyone know if that could cause the truck to not start ? It is a new engine and runs strong and smooth when it runs . Thanks for any help anyone can offer as I am use to working on older than 99 vehicles lol .

American vehicles usually have a "Limp Home" default when a Cam sensor fails. The computer will switch to bank fire fuel strategy to get you where you need to go.... with a check engine light and reduced performance. Asian car will strand you for lack of this brilliant feature. I'm not sure about your particular truck, but I DO know the CRANK shaft sensors on that engine are horrible for failing and that WILL strand you.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
American vehicles usually have a "Limp Home" default when a Cam sensor fails. The computer will switch to bank fire fuel strategy to get you where you need to go.... with a check engine light and reduced performance. Asian car will strand you for lack of this brilliant feature. I'm not sure about your particular truck, but I DO know the CRANK shaft sensors on that engine are horrible for failing and that WILL strand you.
Nahh an Asian car will just run at full tilt until you cause the above pictured failure.

Ask me how I know lol

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nahh an Asian car will just run at full tilt until you cause the above pictured failure.

Ask me how I know lol

Nah! My 2001 Miata left me walking 2 times when the Cam sensor failed. My customer had a Toyota which the cam sensor failed and had to be towed. I know that michaelm_ski isn't supposed to pump the gas pedal, but obviously, he doesn't. That's immaterial. We aren't EVER going to diagnose a vehicle sitting on our butts at a computer. The best we can hope for is to be lucky enough to randomly choose the correct cure from among many! Peace!

OP
OP
michaelm_ski

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
The reason I asked is because I did not know the camshaft sensor could do that these newer trucks and cars have so much more technology it is getting harder and harder to work on them ourselves , I apologize if I seem dumb asking but I trust information I can get here as I have three kids and can not afford to take the truck to a repair shop .

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
The reason I asked is because I did not know the camshaft sensor could do that these newer trucks and cars have so much more technology it is getting harder and harder to work on them ourselves , I apologize if I seem dumb asking but I trust information I can get here as I have three kids and can not afford to take the truck to a repair shop .
If the cam sensor is accessible. It shouldn't be too difficult to get a new one and change it out.

James Dillinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Litre

Under the hood is your fuse box. the lid tells you what all of the fuses and relays do. around rely 58 is fuel pressure relay. Remove and turn engine over to verify won't start. Reinsert the relay. Turn the ignition to on position for 10 seconds then try starting engine without touching anything, The engine is computer controlled and you should not have to touch the accelerator at all. There is also fuse two could be involved. If the engine will run at all the camshaft sensor is good. I've two mechanics tell me it was bad per the code and neither time was it the problem. Get yourself a Chilton Repair manual for that vehicle.

James Dillinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Litre
Right now I am having a very simular problem. Mine won't idle. Runs great above 1500 RPM, below slowly dies.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 5.7. Ill start with that. I was having an issue with the crankshaft position sensor. The truck would randomly stall and sometimes not start at all. I replaced the crank sensor and same thing happened. I figured out that if I unplugged the ckp sensor, the truck would start but it would take like 5 or 6 seconds to crank and I had terrible acceleration, and couldn't go above 50mph without the truck misfiring like a mother... u get the point. Turns out the signal wire (one of the 3 wires that connect to the sensor) was burned and shorting against the block. I replaced the ckp sensor connector with a 2 foot or so whip going into a wiring harness with the cam sensor, oil pressure sensor, and knock sensor. Fixed the problem. If the cam sensor doesn't fix it, id like to think it could be a similar problem

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk