5.7 Hemi Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wedinchi317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 which started throwing codes for misfires on cylinder 4. I was measuring no compression so I took the head off thinking it was a cracked valve spring but everything looked great. I had my mechanic take off the intake manifold to look at the oil check valve and all the screens were missing. So it looks like replacement time after only 130k miles. However, I'm getting multiple quotes of almost 17k for a remanned 5.7. I looked online and I can get a remanned for about 4k and a new crate for about 6-7k so I'm really confused where the extra cost is coming from. (being that it's about a 12 hour job). Does anyone know what the going rate would be? I'm trying to see if it's just my area/state.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I was in this same situation with my 2013 120k miles.
My mechanic who does work with lots of hemi quoted me $11k to replace cam and lifters, some more stuff while in there... Or with new engine it probably would be around $15k.

It depends on your area and how expensive the shop is. You can shop around but keep in mind that this isn't a risk free repair and you want to make sure they know what they're doing and did it before. Lots of forum members complaining about issues after cam and lifter swaps etc.

Many shops don't want to deal with engine repairs as it's a lot of risk and they may end up loosing money if they have to redo work for you later for free because of warranty... So they'll try to get you good quality engine that has warranty on it.

I personally didn't want to throw good money after bad and sold the truck and got a new one. Take whatever equity you have in your current truck, add in the repair amount that you're trying to spend now - this is your good down payment for a new truck. What else can break with your truck at these miles? Transmission? Suspension? Etc...

OP
OP
W

wedinchi317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was in this same situation with my 2013 120k miles.
My mechanic who does work with lots of hemi quoted me $11k to replace cam and lifters, some more stuff while in there... Or with new engine it probably would be around $15k.

It depends on your area and how expensive the shop is. You can shop around but keep in mind that this isn't a risk free repair and you want to make sure they know what they're doing and did it before. Lots of forum members complaining about issues after cam and lifter swaps etc.

Many shops don't want to deal with engine repairs as it's a lot of risk and they may end up loosing money if they have to redo work for you later for free because of warranty... So they'll try to get you good quality engine that has warranty on it.

I personally didn't want to throw good money after bad and sold the truck and got a new one. Take whatever equity you have in your current truck, add in the repair amount that you're trying to spend now - this is your good down payment for a new truck. What else can break with your truck at these miles? Transmission? Suspension? Etc...
I agree with you. However, with a good used Ram or Silverado 1500 with lower miles (<50k) running from 45-60k (even for base models), I really don't feel like taking on a $700 to $800 a month car payment, and then have to turn around and replace the motor again on the new truck when it's paid off. Even the Dodge dealer told me that Hemi's are really not built to last beyond 150-180k miles.

The thing that suprises me is that I can buy a Jasper for $6-7k. Replacing other extras let's just say it's then 9k for labor....for a 12 hour job. That's absurd. It doesn't matter what mechanic I call, they are all within $100 of each other. Even out of state.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with you. However, with a good used Ram or Silverado 1500 with lower miles (<50k) running from 45-60k (even for base models), I really don't feel like taking on a $700 to $800 a month car payment, and then have to turn around and replace the motor again on the new truck when it's paid off. Even the Dodge dealer told me that Hemi's are really not built to last beyond 150-180k miles.

The thing that suprises me is that I can buy a Jasper for $6-7k. Replacing other extras let's just say it's then 9k for labor....for a 12 hour job. That's absurd. It doesn't matter what mechanic I call, they are all within $100 of each other. Even out of state.
I was in the same boat. Lifter/cam failure @ 90k mi. Searched for months until I found a deal on a fresh engine. Did the install myself. It’s a PITA, even with a lift and all the required tools, but I couldn’t imagine paying over $10k for the job. I do see why the cam installs are at least $5k, there’s so much crap in the way.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Why not do it yourself.If you're getting quotes of roughly 10G in labour,even if you don't have the tools to do the job,you'll be able to buy them for alot less then 10G.FYI i'd check into Jaspers rep these days,as you see a fair number of guys unhappy with their remans

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti

Jasper has mixed reviews from what I saw. Some are not good.

Again, it's a lot of risk to do this job for shops, and they want to cover themselves, and get good engine, with good warranty. Otherwise they can make more money on easy brake jobs...

I get that other trucks may have issues too... And that not everyone wants a monthly payment.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are getting stupid high quotes from shops because nobody wants to do the job. All the good mechanic shops are booked weeks out on work and they don't want the hassle of doing a rebuild or replacement because they'll be on the hook for warranty work later if something breaks or if they mess up on installation.

Welcome to the post-2020 world... hope you're enjoying it.

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just spoke with the service dept at my dealership. It's the first dealership I've ever felt comfortable having do work. They really are different. Anyway, they said it would be about $2,600 if I just needed lifters or around $4,500 if they have to replace cams as well.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I just spoke with the service dept at my dealership. It's the first dealership I've ever felt comfortable having do work. They really are different. Anyway, they said it would be about $2,600 if I just needed lifters or around $4,500 if they have to replace cams as well.
Why would you want to do this whole big job not replace the cam? You may end up in the same situation once again very soon if you don't replace both...

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like others have said they are giving you the I dont want to do it price. Try to find the hole in the wall shops in your area and stay away from the franchise shops that are just there to max profits on the helpless masses, you're better off going to a dealership if your going to overpay and wait 6 months for something, lol