6.4 and MS-12633 oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadder1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shaeffers oil has an approved oil now but it's not cheap like it used to be. I just swapped to Mobil 1 this change interval as its the only 0w40 I could get locally. Now im nervous.
I'm under the thought that Mobil 1 does not meet the spec for our Hemi's. Also I think Mobil 1 is weak in the moly department as well.l from all the rest results I've seen floating around in these parts.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’ve been using Mobil 1 since I bout my truck new in 2015. I currently have 118K miles on it. I just pulled the engine out due to multiple lifter rollers seizing and wiping the cam out. I’m going to do a full rebuild. I will make some YouTube videos on it. I will not be using Mobil 1 anymore. I will probably start using Amsoil.

I would like to know if anyone using the PUP has had lifter/cam issues. It almost seems like those pin bearings in the lifters need to stay really clean or they gum up & stop spinning. Penzoil brags about how much detergent is in this oil so maybe that is what is working the best for these lifters. Be nice to have some evidence to back this up. I think I am also going to shorten my OCI as well. I can afford an extra oil change or two a year, but not a new engine!