6.7L Cummins - K&N CAI - Worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyz33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello! I'm a newb to diesels (bought mine 2 days ago) and I'm curious about a few minor upgrades. I almost always upgraded to K&N CAI's when I get a new vehicle, but that's always been on gas motors. My last truck was a 2020 2500 6.4L and the CAI had almost no change in performance, mileage or the sound. If I had to do it over again, I'd choose not to buy one based on that experience. So this weekend, I bought a 2020 2500 6.7L Cummins since we tow our 10k lb TT across the country to visit the in-laws at least twice/year and our last trip was an average of 7 MPG. I can already tell this will be a significant upgrade in mileage as just mixed hwy/city I've been able to avg ~ 17 MPG and the gas truck never went over 13-14 without a load.

Is it worth the $350+ to upgrade to a K&N, SB, Airaid - or any other CAI, with this setup? Can you share your numbers before/after with a similar setup? Again, I usually just buy them, but based on the 6.4L gas experience, it was money that could have been put to better use. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thanks for the feedback. After the gas 6.4L, I was really thinking it just isn't worth it and this feedback eases my decision!
CAI are just worthless unless you want the extra sound lol ... good thing you listened to these guys, so many damaged vehicles over the year because of CAI I have seen and the amount of damage because of it was just insane every time ...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Using an air filter with a lower pressure drop in some ways makes sense with a naturally aspirated engine, but the little amount of pressure difference doesn't do anything for turbo diesel. A turbo in a diesel supplies psi of pressure into the engine, where as a high flow filter may lower the pressure by a few hundreths of an in/wc. (There's 28 in/wc in one psi).