Installing CAI help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebel_yves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I managed to get my hands on a used K&N CAI for my 2018 rebel. I have a few questions before I install it on the truck and hoping someone can help me out. Please bear in mind that I'm in Canada if you post links to products.

The CAI did not come with the air temp sensor harness therefore I'm thinking I'm going to need to purchase one. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this is the one I'll need? Or if there are any better alternatives.

My second question is concerning CCV hose that I need to modify or change. What type of hose do I need for this? I've also found that they sell some reroute kits with a smaller filter such as in the link below. I can only seem to find them for the 6.7 but wondering if it would work on the 5.7 Hemi as well?

Last question is which option would be better? a modified hose or the reroute system? Personally I like the look of the reroute system better but I'm unsure which is actually best for the performance?

Thank you to anyone who takes time to read and answer my post!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do a search of the CAI in this forum, you will find a lot of discussions about how the design in your truck is pretty sufficient and you won't achieve any real impact other than lightening your wallet further. I am not advising to not do it, but with all of your apparent upcoming cost and efforts you may want to investigate some more to decide if the juice is worth all the squeezing.

Good luck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The factory intake is a CAI. You're going through a lot of trouble for no gain. If you're installing it because you like how it looks or sounds then more power to you. But if you're adding it thinking it will net you a performance gain you are going to be disappointed.

OP
OP
R

rebel_yves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly I just like the way it looks. I've done some research and I see how the gains are minimal at best although the look is what gets me to want it. I found a K&N system for next to nothing so I figure its worth looking into.

I also like the look of the smaller filter instead of the CCV hose but I can't find much information on the benefits or risks of doing that particular mod.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try to sell the CAI because most of them are actually a Hot Air Intake System as they will draw in hot air from under the hood which will cause you to loose power and MPG, plus the OEM system is actually a very good CAI.
This topic has been discussed many times on the Ram and Challenger sites over the years.
You will also find the OEM air filter is actually a good design and it will outflow the throttle body.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Aside from what the other guys rightly pointed out to me the biggest issue is if you use your pickup in dusty places. The K&N Filters do NOT filter as good as the stock paper ones. You will suck in fine dust that would not get past the OEM filter and this will shorten your engine life considerably