6 inch lift n gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_rammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First post on this forum!!! I been reading and learning a lot so far but I do need some clarification on some things before pull the trigger.

2017 big horn
4x4
CC
Caven exhaust
Pedal commander
8 speed trans

Planning on running a BDS 6" with 35s on stock 20s with spacers for now....
(37s would be choice)

Tires will probably be Ko2's or something similar that's not too heavy. All with the 3.21 gears. ****** deals...

That being said, regearing would be next on the to do list.... What I've gathered so far is that the 2012+ rams supposedly have the ring welded on the carrier in the front diff... So the only way to regear would be to swap out the front diff with a 3.92 diff or get a used 2010 front diff and make a Frankenstein build. Correct?

By using a 2010 diff I assume it's not going to be plug and play. More like pay to play [emoji2365] Besides the new front n rear gears, what else would I be looking at to accomplish this? New motor mounts? Drive shaft? Etc...

The truck is a daily driver with occasional light offroading to get to the fishing spot.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
First post on this forum!!! I been reading and learning a lot so far but I do need some clarification on some things before pull the trigger.

2017 big horn
4x4
CC
Caven exhaust
Pedal commander
8 speed trans

Planning on running a BDS 6" with 35s on stock 20s with spacers for now....
(37s would be choice)

Tires will probably be Ko2's or something similar that's not too heavy. All with the 3.21 gears. ****** deals...

That being said, regearing would be next on the to do list.... What I've gathered so far is that the 2012+ rams supposedly have the ring welded on the carrier in the front diff... So the only way to regear would be to swap out the front diff with a 3.92 diff or get a used 2010 front diff and make a Frankenstein build. Correct?

By using a 2010 diff I assume it's not going to be plug and play. More like pay to play [emoji2365] Besides the new front n rear gears, what else would I be looking at to accomplish this? New motor mounts? Drive shaft? Etc...

The truck is a daily driver with occasional light offroading to get to the fishing spot.

Thanks

You have pretty much summed that up and your research is correct. I would recommend going the tuned route before re gearing there are plenty of members on here that run 3:21’s without issues. What area do you live in?

OP
OP
B

big_rammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Aloha from Hawaii [emoji1686]

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck drives good with 3.21/8 speed combo with 35s on the stock 20s.

I don’t tow to the maximum limits though. Would probably notice it then. But for normal use it drives perfectly fine.

oh and I have no tuning or pedal commander either.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If you are only going to run 35s, aren't going to be towing and will not be driving in very hilly areas then the 3.21s will be ok, not fine but ok ....

If you are planning on going 37s in the future you should wait until you get the 37s before you regear ... with 35s going with 4.56s is the way to go and with 37s nothing but 4.88s is what you need ...

If you are just going to go with 3.92s you are wasting money in my opinion ... at least 4.56s if you are set about regearing ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
By the way if you want to slap any gear set you want you need a 07-11 year front diff and you will be set to go with any gear set you want preferably the 4.56s

OP
OP
B

big_rammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply!

I guess it'll be 35s with the 3.21 gears for now.

Regearing would be the side hustle.

Idk if I'm right or not, correct me if I'm wrong; but I seen in some other threads that you may need a matching front drive shaft for the diff. as well as a different drivers side motor mount and possibly machining the internals of the pumpkin to fit said gears.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel like I remember seeing it’ll cost around $2-3,000 to regear these trucks?