65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the hate is mostly fabricated and rolled off of old issues .... and that everyone and his brother says dodges (dimler) had crappy transmissions. When somthing has had consistant problems in the past it is VERY hard to build a good rep on it again. There IS that old saying, if the shoe fits.

We can pick anything apart and make it sound bad. Little gripes that somone has can turn into a "problem" with the transmission. and I too have my little gripes with the 6 speed, but they do not inhibit propor function IMO. And I do not want an 8 speed. If i could chose it would be an Aisin.

On a side note. I have had better transmissions before. My f-150 ecoboost had an absolutly fabulous transmission.

This is very true and I hear you loud and clear on the "Dodge has crap transmissions" reputation they had back in the 90s. From what I've read, the RFE trans is pretty solid as long as its maintained well and full throttle downshifts are avoided. The main reason I wouldn't want an 8 speed is maintenance. Now if I were leasing my truck, yeah sure give me an 8 speed.

So your Ecoboost trans was good? I thought I had read they had a ton of shuddering problems. It was one (of many) reasons I veered away from Ford when I was truck shopping.

Now the Aisin trans is a whole different story. Those are strong transmissions. Theyre only an option on the Cummins right?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet that's pretty nice on a challenger! We just picked up a 17 Grand Cherokee Limited for my wife. 3.6 Pentastar with the 8 speed. It is a nice trans and it makes the 3.6 feel pretty damn fast so I can only imagine what its like in a Challenger...
I'll say this her 5.7L Hemi coupled with the 8 speed xsmn gearing and shift points VS my Ram 4x4 QC @ +3000lbs more wt with my 5.7L Hemi & 6 speed in a race to 100 mph from a stop .....

I told her to hit the brakes exactly at 100mph so I could compare differences .
When I seen her brake lights I was going through 70 mph and she was 100+ yards in front of me ( over 50 car lengths)

Those cars are incredibly fast

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This is very true and I hear you loud and clear on the "Dodge has crap transmissions" reputation they had back in the 90s. From what I've read, the RFE trans is pretty solid as long as its maintained well and full throttle downshifts are avoided. The main reason I wouldn't want an 8 speed is maintenance. Now if I were leasing my truck, yeah sure give me an 8 speed.

So your Ecoboost trans was good? I thought I had read they had a ton of shuddering problems. It was one (of many) reasons I veered away from Ford when I was truck shopping.

Now the Aisin trans is a whole different story. Those are strong transmissions. Theyre only an option on the Cummins right?

I agree on your RFE points.

I leased a 2013 3.5L ecoboost for 3 years. I ran the **** out if it and it was a solid truck and powertrain. Not a single complaint. And when i say i ran the shut out of it, i mean every single time i was in. I have done zero reaserch on it though so there could be potental problems.

I would have paid extra for the aisin

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^LOL nice!
Well it's been about 4 months on your 45RFE MH pan on your 65RFE xsmn how's everything going Sir ?

I'm getting a bit itchy to change my pan to the same as yours , gonna go with factory filters , haven't my mind up on the fluid type yet .
Did your pan come with a gasket and new bolts ?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had numerous Chrysler vehicles, one being an 05 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the pig of a trans 42rle. What kills that transmission is heat and the torque converter. I swapped out the torque converter, overfilled by a qt, added a trans cooler and it was damn near perfect. With my last Ram and the 5 spd it wasn't terrible but wasn't fantastic. Now with the 6 spd I'm quite happy with it, so far. Yes the downshifts aren't great in stock form but everyday driving it's great. I think people tend to forget these trucks aren't designed for full throttle pulls with two to three gear kick downs, they are trucks!!! Drive it like a truck and maintain it and you won't have issues. I'm curious is doing a better torque converter would help these as well. My father has been working with Chrysler for years and the transmission themselves aren't the bad pieces but the torque converter in front of them. Once a TC starts to slip or heat up it only puts more pressure and heat on the trans as a downward spiral. If you're out of warranty slap a better torque converter in there and call it a day.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it's been about 4 months on your 45RFE MH pan on your 65RFE xsmn how's everything going Sir ?

I'm getting a bit itchy to change my pan to the same as yours , gonna go with factory filters , haven't my mind up on the fluid type yet .
Did your pan come with a gasket and new bolts ?

So far the MH pan has been awesome. Definitely worth the money, it is a high quality and well machined piece. I only wish I could actually see it without crawling underneath because it really is nice looking!

The cooling fins on the bottom really do work to lower the fluid temps in combination with it holding more fluid than the stock pan. Usually in the winter my trans would get up to 115* when on a long trip. So far this winter it has struggled to break 100*. Went on a road trip with the family on the 26th and the highest it got was 105*. Haven't ran it in the summer yet but I'll post temps when I do.8184b51094b9a0cfcd8c9357ca551db6.jpg

I did a drain and fill shortly after I put the MH pan on with Redline C+ so maybe that has something to do with the lower temps. But the drain plug is very well made and does not leak at all.

Yes it does come with a gasket and its own bolts. They are longer than the stock pan bolts because the lip on the MH pan is much thicker than the stock stamped steel pan. I opted to put a thin layer of rtv on both sides of the gasket to make sure it sealed well but I don't think this is necessary.

Two things to watch out for when installing the MH pan. First the edges of the transmission case itself at RAZOR sharp. I've changed trans fluid in a lot of different cars over the years and have never seen a case this sharp before. Cut my finger pretty good while putting the spin on filter on. The second is the MH pan is heavy. A second pair of hands to hold it up or a jack helps immensely as the bolts that come with it are Allen keyed and are a bit difficult to get started while holding the pan up.

Highly recommend getting this pan!

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info there Hemi395 !
And thanks for the response .

The P/N for the MH pan is ( 45RFE) Correct ?
This is for the 4x4 with factory exhaust if I remember correctly.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info there Hemi395 !
And thanks for the response .

The P/N for the MH pan is ( 45RFE) Correct ?
This is for the 4x4 with factory exhaust if I remember correctly.
Yep that's the right pn. Currently Moe's has it for the best price that I saw....

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just purchased my 45RFE MH pan from Moe's !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post some pics when you get yours. I'm curious what your serial number is as mine and DILAGAF were 1 off.

You going to use RL C+?
I remember that , yours was actually the lower # even though you purchased yours later if I remember correctly?

Will do my friend !

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember that , yours was actually the lower # even though you purchased yours later if I remember correctly?

Will do my friend !

Thats right I forgot about that...

We both bought ours from a shop in MA that was selling them online for around $250. They have since raised the price quite a bit the last time I checked.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats right I forgot about that...

We both bought ours from a shop in MA that was selling them online for around $250. They have since raised the price quite a bit the last time I checked.
Yep $285 for mine ....

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a odd thing happen this morning while driving to work, shifter lever got locked out, would not respond and stuck in 4th gear. shifted to neutral and nothing... Once I restarted the truck it acted normal.
Anyone else ever have this issue?

After being directed and watching a video here about stuck linkage, I think I had a different issue and went into limp mode as mentioned in another post.

But all this got me thinking about the 68RFE, anyone have any thought on how hard it would be to swap one into a 2011.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ R/T_Fire , if I understand this correctly while you were just driving normally ( no WOT , no towing , not hot rodding & just normal driving ) you noticed it was stuck in 4th gear ?

I'm assuming your engine RPM'S just got higher and higher and it just wouldn't shift up ?

At this point you attempted to manually shift it to neutral and it would not shift at all and just stayed in 4th gear .
At that point you shut the engine off (while still in 4th gear ) restarted the truck and then was able to shift normally , then the xsmn operated normally ?

That is odd , hope someone here has an explanation for you Sir , it does seem that the xsmn was temporarily in LIMP mode ...

Do I have this cenario correct?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@R/T_Fire , have you done any xsmn work lately ? Fluid or filters change ?
Have you checked the oil level ?

Have you changed shifting points with a Tunner ?

2011 Ram 1500 , do you have the 65RFE 6 speed auto xsmn ?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@R/T_Fire , have you done any xsmn work lately ? Fluid or filters change ?
Have you checked the oil level ?

Have you changed shifting points with a Tunner ?

He's running a new tune from Sean. Sounds like the truck is just learning his driving style with the new tune. Pretty sure it had to shift into neutral before he shut it down because it wouldn't start if it was still in fourth. Sounds to me to be tuner related since he had no issues until he put the tune on yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ R/T_Fire , if I understand this correctly while you were just driving normally ( no WOT , no towing , not hot rodding & just normal driving ) you noticed it was stuck in 4th gear ?

I'm assuming your engine RPM'S just got higher and higher and it just wouldn't shift up ?

At this point you attempted to manually shift it to neutral and it would not shift at all and just stayed in 4th gear .
At that point you shut the engine off (while still in 4th gear ) restarted the truck and then was able to shift normally , then the xsmn operated normally ?

That is odd , hope someone here has an explanation for you Sir , it does seem that the xsmn was temporarily in LIMP mode ...

Do I have this cenario correct?

Close to what happened, for once I was driving like a sane man and just cruising into work, I was manually shifting, starting off in 2nd letting the trans shift itself from 1-2 then I would go 3-4 and never made it past 4th as I came up to a light.
Came to a stop went to drop it down to 2nd at the stoplight, but wouldn't respond. Shifter would move just no computer response. limped it to my office just a few lights down in 4th and thats when I shifted to neutral and no respond, went right back to 4th when put into drive. Wasn't till I shut off and restarted did it act normal.

As another member here mentioned in the thread I started it may just be the computer relearning the new shift points.

Later tonight I am going to set the truck back to stock, remove battery then reinstall the new tune and see what happens.

and Again, thanks for the Help and Input.