65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was Awesome !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just putting this out there . This morning it was about 30° outside , I drove 22 mins to work with an 800lb 4 wheeler in the bed and my xsmn temp topped out at 96° [emoji106]

I have the 6 speed auto 65RFE with the Mag-Hytec pan p/n 45RFE & Running Redline C+ fluid .be6d3c03dc2f5ff0ea074f93ebd63507.jpga2702fb4a76648a47520e8815dd73bca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The CAFE tech will lower the life span of your trucks most expensive pieces. Spend the money, fix what you can.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The CAFE tech will lower the life span of your trucks most expensive pieces. Spend the money, fix what you can.
Not only that, the MPG improvements this gives you is miniscule. I doubt it would save you $5 in fuel over the life of the truck. I'll gladly buy another 2 gallons of gas and have my transmission last longer.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just thought I'd throw an update out there for those who care to know. The truck has been back at the transmission shop for about a week and a half now. After about a week of driving the truck after the rebuild, it started throwing incorrect ratio codes for 4th and 5th gears. I took it back and they're trying to blame the tune from Jay. I actually had Jay call the shop to explain what he had done, which only sounds like increasing torque management with 2nd prime given the weakness of the clutches. Jay had no problems with calling the shop and I spoke with him over the phone after they talked, which only increases my confidence in what Jay does. I've been running his tune for 3 years with not one issue, and HF before that since 2013 with no issues. The shop tried telling me that Jay didn't know what he's doing, and some of the things they claimed Jay said were the complete opposite of what he told me he said.

At this point, I have very little confidence in this shop and if they weren't honoring the warranty I would have taken it elsewhere the second time. They kept referencing the 68RFE when claiming they build these transmissions, which again points to the fact that they aren't sure what they're doing. They told me the fluid looked clean, and nothing looked off in the valve body, which leads me to believe that something was installed incorrectly and broke, which is not a tuning issue. Needless to say, I've driven my truck a week in the last almost two months and it's been very frustrating. I'm very lucky that I work with very generous people who have loaned me a vehicle free of charge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What does it cost to revert back to OEM tune?

Wondering if you do this and then take it to a different dealer you may have better results

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just have to restore the original backup. The shop was ok with the tune, and I've been transparent about what been done to the truck. They have told me multiple times while rebuilding it the first time that the diesel transmissions they've rebuilt have been burnt up by people running programmers on the most aggressive setting full time, and then people lying about it. So they had a biased against tunes from the get-go. I fully believe it's a shop trying to find an easy out by blaming tuning.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's no way any good tuning on a 5.7 Hemi can cause 5th and 6th to burn up like that. On 6.7 Cummins yes because a tune can add up to 300hp. I've had custom tuning for well over 30k now and towed my 4k lb camper across the country and back. No issues with my 65RFE.

They either put in a bad solenoid pack or didn't put that clutch pack in properly. Whatever happened it's on them not the tuning. You legitimately would have had to do something like 15 WOT downshifts at highway speeds to burn a new 5th/6th clutch up.

Sucks man hope they or someone else takes care of it for you, keep us updated.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's no way any good tuning on a 5.7 Hemi can cause 5th and 6th to burn up like that. On 6.7 Cummins yes because a tune can add up to 300hp. I've had custom tuning for well over 30k now and towed my 4k lb camper across the country and back. No issues with my 65RFE.

They either put in a bad solenoid pack or didn't put that clutch pack in properly. Whatever happened it's on them not the tuning. You legitimately would have had to do something like 15 WOT downshifts at highway speeds to burn a new 5th/6th clutch up.

Sucks man hope they or someone else takes care of it for you, keep us updated.
Agreed! There's no way the same tune lasted 70K on the stock transmission with no issues if it was a bad tune. They put the Sonnax Smarttech overdrive drum in, a shift kit and I can't remember if anything else but it sure as hell wasn't the tuning. Jay's awesome and I'm 100% going to get his tune on my next Mopar. Like I said, if they weren't fixing it for free I would have gone elsewhere the second time around. Jay suggested if it goes again, just finding a low mileage stock transmission and running it until I trade in.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The fact that Jay physically called them on your behalf shows he knows what hes doing and hes a good guy. He could have told you to pound sand but went the extra mile for you, thats service right there.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My thoughts exactly. He could have stopped responding when I told him the transmission went out and the shop wanted to talk to him. He had no hesitation about calling, and after talking with him for a half hour at 8pm the night it happened, I have even more respect and confidence in his abilities. He's gone above and beyond what I paid for several times now. By far the best money I've spent on my truck.

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little bump on a great thread here. Getting ready to tackle this over the weekend.
Truck has nearly 90k km's and this'll be 2nd trans service (first one at 60k).

I have the MH pan and the highly regarded C+ to go back in (******* that stuff is expensive especially for us Canucks!). Also picked up a RP spin on filter from the synthetic filter thread, has anyone tried this one yet in their trans? Still have to sand the paint off before installing. My DNJ billet channel plate, valve body/solenoid pack, and thread adapter showed up yesterday so chomping at the bit here!

I know I'll have to do a quicklearn afterwards, has anyone done this with the AlfaOBD by chance? The option is there, and Alexey told me he has reports from Ram guys that have been successful so I guess we shall see.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Little bump on a great thread here. Getting ready to tackle this over the weekend.
Truck has nearly 90k km's and this'll be 2nd trans service (first one at 60k).

I have the MH pan and the highly regarded C+ to go back in (******* that stuff is expensive especially for us Canucks!). Also picked up a RP spin on filter from the synthetic filter thread, has anyone tried this one yet in their trans? Still have to sand the paint off before installing. My DNJ billet channel plate, valve body/solenoid pack, and thread adapter showed up yesterday so chomping at the bit here!

I know I'll have to do a quicklearn afterwards, has anyone done this with the AlfaOBD by chance? The option is there, and Alexey told me he has reports from Ram guys that have been successful so I guess we shall see.

PLEASE let us all know how it goes.

There’s a guy on another form that has been running Fram filters in his transmission for quite some time now. I can’t see how the royal purple would be any different.

What’s your plan for the filter getting threaded into the transmission. Did you buy the steel adapter or are you going to try and take the plastic one out of an OEM filter and put it in the royal purple?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PLEASE let us all know how it goes.

There’s a guy on another form that has been running Fram filters in his transmission for quite some time now. I can’t see how the royal purple would be any different.

What’s your plan for the filter getting threaded into the transmission. Did you buy the steel adapter or are you going to try and take the plastic one out of an OEM filter and put it in the royal purple?

Yes will do! Gotta pick up a couple of last minute things to hopefully make the process go as smooth as possible and make room in the garage.

Yeah, I picked up the steel adapter.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will indeed.

I'm hoping this will help with the couple of nuisance codes I've been getting for a while too (with no drive ability issues, knock on wood). Been actually paying attention to my temps lately and I've seen it climb to 170. I don't tow at all either.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will indeed.

I'm hoping this will help with the couple of nuisance codes I've been getting for a while too (with no drive ability issues, knock on wood). Been actually paying attention to my temps lately and I've seen it climb to 170. I don't tow at all either.
What codes have you been getting?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It started a while back with P2704 Transmission Friction Element E... Dropped the pan, everything looked normal. Research pointed at either valve body or something internal. Avoided it mostly by driving in tow/haul mode afterwards.

Then would get P0868 Trans Fluid Pressure Low intermittently. Would normally only happen if I was bagging on it. Would clear itself usually, and I just chalked it up to my aftermarket converter.

Then most recently P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Open. Got the P0868 with this one as well so I'm hoping the P0740 was triggered by the P0868. Pulled the sonnax line pressure booster shortly and haven't had issues after.

If I still get them after all of this I will probably need to pull the trans.