66RFE Transmission - Thermal Bypass Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
All went well and the ats block is installed, no leaks from what I can see.

I have new transmission filters on order that could be here as early as this weekend so I may hold off running it until they come so I can service the trans and then replace the fluid. It looks like a lost a quart plus when I had the lines disconnected as when I checked the fluid level cold, idle it was barely showing on the dipstick and I know I had it full before I disconnected the lines.

So I figure no sense wasting a quart or two of atf+4 for a week or two only to have to drain it out right away anyway. I have another vehicle to drive so it can sit.

I serviced front and rear diffs and transfer case over the weekend. All fluids looked good, not much metal on the magnetic diff plugs and the transfer case also looked good

Trans fluid from what I saw draining out of the lines still had a good red color so I suspect the trans pan will look good when I get that down also.

Have a good day gents...

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All went well and the ats block is installed, no leaks from what I can see.

I have new transmission filters on order that could be here as early as this weekend so I may hold off running it until they come so I can service the trans and then replace the fluid. It looks like a lost a quart plus when I had the lines disconnected as when I checked the fluid level cold, idle it was barely showing on the dipstick and I know I had it full before I disconnected the lines.

So I figure no sense wasting a quart or two of atf+4 for a week or two only to have to drain it out right away anyway. I have another vehicle to drive so it can sit.

I serviced front and rear diffs and transfer case over the weekend. All fluids looked good, not much metal on the magnetic diff plugs and the transfer case also looked good

Trans fluid from what I saw draining out of the lines still had a good red color so I suspect the trans pan will look good when I get that down also.

Have a good day gents...
Thanks for report. How many miles on the ATF oil at this change?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Currently 15,480 or there abouts on my truck. Not many miles, but coming up on 5 yrs old end of this year so it's due based on time.

A few thousand of those are towing miles also (utility trailer and travel trailer) so its been worked hard on occasion. Also going to drain and flush the radiator and overflow tank soon also.

I plan on keeping it at least another 5 yrs maybe 10 so I want to do everything I can to keep it running well.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I 1st changed mine @ 4 years and 36,000 miles, and the trans oil didn't look or smell good. I don't know if that was due to a lot of clutch shavings, or oxidation, or some blend of both, but shortly thereafter I put the bypass block in. Trans oil temps now run consistently 30 degrees cooler, where they should be, and where they were before somebody came up with the goofy, restrictive thermostat orifice.

Not sure if Blackstone does transmission oil analysis. If I'd been thinking I would've sent them a sample to see how much oxidation there was.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I 1st changed mine @ 4 years and 36,000 miles, and the trans oil didn't look or smell good. I don't know if that was due to a lot of clutch shavings, or oxidation, or some blend of both, but shortly thereafter I put the bypass block in. Trans oil temps now run consistently 30 degrees cooler, where they should be, and where they were before somebody came up with the goofy, restrictive thermostat orifice.

Not sure if Blackstone does transmission oil analysis. If I'd been thinking I would've sent them a sample to see how much oxidation there was.
I service transmissions, transfer cases and differentials and drain and flush cooling systems every 30k or 5 yrs whichever comes first.

Just what I do. To each their own, but for me it's cheap insurance especially in light of what these components cost these days.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm thinking of using the Dorman pan with drain and this Wix pan filter and spin on combo comes with a gasket, not sure about that.
I also have the metal nipple that came with the ATS bypass
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1053904&cc=3435456&pt=8600&jsn=1754
That's a convenient package. I doubt the Wix filter is their premium synthetic media though. I like gaskets better than RTV gasket maker - messy and have to wait for a day to harden. And you have to scrape it all off at each oil change.

Another knowledgeable member recommended LubeLocker Gasket as one of few that won't leak --> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lub-llt-crfe

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's the exact same pan gasket I ordered and from summit and is due to come today, along with 3 gallons of mopar oat coolant so I can drain and flush the radiator and overflow tank.

I'm keeping the stock trans pan for now. Yes its messy to drop, but with the miles I'm running it's a once in 5 yr deal so I'll deal with it.

I ordered OEM mopar trans filters from Amazon. Based on some of the research I've done, other brands had some issues the mopar ones did not. They aren't due for another week yet.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I actually ordered the lube locker gasket, Dorman drain plug pan, and the wix filter combo, From Summit. I'm at 80K, trans fluid looks like new, don't tow heavy, 2800 GWV single axle RV trailer, 4K boat local, and a car hauler. The tranny has run flawlessly, with the ATS bypass. Did change diff fluid at 30K. With all the problems known issues, lifters, manifolds, and Tranny issues, OCI 5-7K and Blackstone reports, all great,
I am actually happy with this truck! Its still NOISY, even by Hemi standards, even with my FM super 40, and a heavy foot.
My 2002 Dakota 4.7 4x4 went 230K, with an exhaust manifold cracked, then a head gasket coolant leak. Guy sold to still driving it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I finished the job yesterday. Both mopar filters are installed. The pan is back up and the lubelocker pan gasket shows no signs of leaking.

After a test drive the trans fluid level was below the stick, So I must have lost more out of the cooler than I thought with the ats bypass block install.

I put 8.5 quarts back in and I think I'm a half quart short yet.

All went well, but the ats metal nipple for the spin on filter did not work. I had to reuse the original plastic nipple. The threads of the metal one would not engage the transmission case no matter what I tried. Oh well. It is what it is.

Hopefully the plastic will continue to be ok. With the thermostat removed, it shouldn't get as hot at least. It would have been nice to have it replaced, but didnt work out.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Good work. Thanks for info on ATS pipe nipple. I'll try another brand at my next change.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
No worries. Although the plastic one and the ats one look similar....the ats absolutely would not screw into the transmission housing. I made several attempts before just abandoning it. It would have ruined the threads in the transmission if I would have pushed it any further and I'm old enough and have made enough prior mistakes to know when to stop before something gets ruined.

Its disappointing though because I really wanted that metal nipple in there. Maybe next year I'll drop the pan again and try another nipple. There are other ones available as you know. With the lubelocker gasket the next time I have to do it will be much easier and less clean up involved. Cleaning all of the factory rtv off of the pan is what took the most time.

I was happy though. The inside of the pan and magnet had very little dirt in it and the fluid was still a good red color.

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
So I have a 2017 1500 with the 66rfe. Yes. Its the 6 speed. Canadian truck.
I bought this rev max (called trans star they told me it would fit even though it's for 68rfe.) My issue is the two Ports by my hand are threaded. And these two shown are not. On my stock block all 4 are threaded. What am I missing?
20231201_180724.jpg

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I bought this for my 17 1500 with 66 rfe (yes 6 speed. Canada truck ik weird) Trans star told me this would work even though it's for the 68rfe. My issue is 2/4 ports on this are threaded- the two shown are not. On my stock block all 4 are threaded... what am j missing..
20231201_180724.jpg

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd find it difficult to believe the thermostat block differs between the 66RFE and 68RFE.

Did RevMax have more than one replacement block model?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Take pic of the block on your truck if you can

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMG_2097.png
This is my old one. The one side is not threaded it just looks like it. It should just have the retaining clips inside of it

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also you probably have the 65rfe for a half ton. The 66 is only in the heavy duty trucks

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
RevMax Transmission Cooler ByPass Housing Installed - Copy.jpeg

66RFE in 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew Cab

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@HEMIMANN from the picture it's hard to tell but does where the lines from the transmission itself screw in to the revmax not flat? I'm trying to figure out why some of the bypasses are flat on that side when the lines screw in and some like the revmax have the bottom line extended more towards the back of the truck. Sorry if I'm not explaining it right but hopefully you'll understand what I'm talking about.

I just installed the revmax on my truck 16 66rfe and was curious since the stock pos was flat on that rear side where the revmax I have isn't. Where the bottom line attaches is more rearward.