66rfe valvebody failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Boys and girls if you don’t believe the valvebody in the rfe has issues then let this be proof. This is from a co-workers truck that was acting fine then decided didn’t want to shift past 3rd gear. Thought at first it might have been the solenoid pack but as soon as we dropped the pan this is what we see.
Two of the accumulator plate screws had backed out and were laying on the bottom of pan and the third bolt snapped at the head. All of this was caught by the magnet in the pan.
This is out of a 2013 ram 2500 with the 66rfe trans. He has 130xxx miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 56

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Common problem. As these transmissions wear, they build pressure causing this. The factory accumulator plates and bolts are too thin and weak. My 68rfe blew out on the other end on the reverse/low accumulator side. I had no codes or hard shifting. You may be able to save that valve body with a kit and a HD plate.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Common problem. As these transmissions wear, they build pressure causing this. The factory accumulator plates and bolts are too thin and weak. My 68rfe blew out on the other end on the reverse/low accumulator side. I had no codes or hard shifting. You may be able to save that valve body with a kit and a HD plate.
Actually, accumulator oil has nothing to do with this failure. AFL (Actuator feed limit) is at play, and not against the retainer plate, per se, and that is generally limited to under 100 PSI on most transmissions. New design transmissions use a new type of oil called compensation oil. This is the oil which WAS the accumulator oil, but has been redirected into the newly designed clutch drums/pistons. Accumulators and bands are pretty much eliminated these days. This allows for much more accurate and consistent control over shift feel, quality, and timing. It also addresses CAFE in that there is less parasitic loss due to different power flow through the gear train.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, accumulator oil has nothing to do with this failure. AFL (Actuator feed limit) is at play, and not against the retainer plate, per se, and that is generally limited to under 100 PSI on most transmissions. Line pressure could be a factor due to bolts falling out. New design transmissions use a new type of oil control called compensation oil. This is the oil which WAS the accumulator oil, but has been redirected into the newly designed clutch drums/pistons. Accumulators and bands are pretty much eliminated these days. This allows for much more accurate and consistent control over shift feel, quality, and timing. It also addresses CAFE in that there is less parasitic loss due to different power flow through the gear train.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
My 18 is closing in on 90k relatively trouble free miles. We just replaced the solenoid packs in our 2012 1500 at 140k. Is this common enough that I should consider swapping in some new components before experiencing any issues? I don't do a lot of towing and I baby the truck most of the time since I'm on 37's with all factory running gear.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 18 is closing in on 90k relatively trouble free miles. We just replaced the solenoid packs in our 2012 1500 at 140k. Is this common enough that I should consider swapping in some new components before experiencing any issues? I don't do a lot of towing and I baby the truck most of the time since I'm on 37's with all factory running gear.
In my opinion yes but that is just my opinion and I like to address things before they happen if I can and is easy to do. Thats not saying you are for sure going to have a problem because there are lots of rfe trans that dont have any issues with this but the valvebody and solenoid pack are one of the main issues in the trans. This is the third ram that I have personally seen with some type of shifting issue due to the valvebody. My personal truck I drive now didnt have any issues but I did the swap just so I knew that part was addressed. It takes all of an hour to do especially if your already servicing the trans. The only thing you might have to do after is get a relearn procedure done after doing it. Again this is all my personal opinion and not trying to get you to replace parts just because. You may be fine for the life of the truck but then again it could happen tomorrow.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup these all the same thing I went through.. I use my truck for hard labor so no matter what you do to make the 66/68RFE better they can not handle heat due to ...
*Wheel spin
*Tow heavy in reverse
*Long duration in 4 low
I recommend after getting the upgrade said above ... Make sure you add a fanned Tanny oil cooler if you do anything like I do. Even then I'd still do not trust these RFE's

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup these all the same thing I went through.. I use my truck for hard labor so no matter what you do to make the 66/68RFE better they can not handle heat due to ...
*Wheel spin
*Tow heavy in reverse
*Long duration in 4 low
I recommend after getting the upgrade said above ... Make sure you add a fanned Tanny oil cooler if you do anything like I do. Even then I'd still do not trust these RFE's
Agreed. Another must have is the thermal bypass and also I recently changed my fluid to redline and has so far made a difference in the way it shifts. Keeping these transmissions on the cooler side is key to longevity.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed. Another must have is the thermal bypass and also I recently changed my fluid to redline and has so far made a difference in the way it shifts. Keeping these transmissions on the cooler side is key to longevity.
You are right.. did that too. Very soon I won't have to worry about it anymore. Putting on a G56 in my truck. Already looking into a cooler for it. I haul a lot wood out of the bush among many other hard core bush stuff on winter roads. I personally don't even think the new 8 speed can handle it either even though we've heard good things about it.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are right.. did that too. Very soon I won't have to worry about it anymore. Putting on a G56 in my truck. Already looking into a cooler for it. I haul a lot wood out of the bush among many other hard core bush stuff on winter roads. I personally don't even think the new 8 speed can handle it either even though we've heard good things about it.
Yeah I've followed your thread on the swap. Looks like you are figuring it out little by little. Hope it all comes together for you.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Did you get any good news from your Finds about the chassis cab parts? I can remember years ago reading that but never finding them actually produced.

Man, I sure hope so! My transmission is starting to act weird at 178k and I would just as soon row my own like you!

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you get any good news from your Finds about the chassis cab parts? I can remember years ago reading that but never finding them actually produced.

Man, I sure hope so! My transmission is starting to act weird at 178k and I would just as soon row my own like you!
Ya I posted it on swap my 66RFE for a G56.. but still waiting for positive feed back my shop in windy city